2016 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes, etc)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: 2016 Season General Comments (pressers, practice notes,

Post by Mothman »

Those 2003 Vikings? They have some advice for this year’s team
The Vikings’ 2003 season began with high hopes. It ended with players throwing their helmets across the locker room.

That team started 6-0 before falling apart and finishing 9-7. It all came crashing down when they were stunned, 18-17, at Arizona on the final play of the season — a touchdown pass to the corner of the end zone on fourth-and-24 that knocked the Vikings out of the playoffs.

To make matters worse, it was archrival Green Bay winning the NFC North. Minnesota had needed a win or a Packers loss to make the playoffs, but they beat Denver 31-3.

“It was shocking,” said David Dixon, then a Minnesota guard. “Guys were throwing their helmets in the locker room and they were yelling. People were just venting.”
More at the link.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Matt Vensel ‏@mattvensel 2h2 hours ago
Zimmer on the areas where Anthony Barr could be better: "All."
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote:
I am really disappointed in Barr this year. Idk if he is hurt or something but he looked like an absolute beast last year and eveb early this year, but has neen non existant lately.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Mothman wrote:
My word, Zimmer just has no issue humiliating his own players on an individual basis in the media.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Jordysghost wrote: My word, Zimmer just has no issue humiliating his own players on an individual basis in the media.
It may blow up in his face (or perhaps that's what happened on Sunday). I've seen coaches go overboard with that tactic in the past and it doesn't tend to end well.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Jordysghost wrote: My word, Zimmer just has no issue humiliating his own players on an individual basis in the media.
I dont really consider that "humiliating". He said he needs to improve in all areas. I'm sure he would say that about 98% of guys on this team. Thats just his mentality
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I dont really consider that "humiliating". He said he needs to improve in all areas. I'm sure he would say that about 98% of guys on this team. Thats just his mentality
Most coaches push constant improvement and hold players accountable, few do so as brashly and foward as Zimmer.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Jordysghost wrote: Most coaches push constant improvement and hold players accountable, few do so as brashly and foward as Zimmer.
That's his old school mentality. I like it. I'd rather have that then for it to be sugar coated if I was a player. It pushes me to work harder because you dont want that stuff being said about you.

Side note: This might have been brought up already but I just noticed what it says under your username every time you post. I know it changes based on how many posts you have but you are currently at the "Packers suck" stage :lol: :lol:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Side note: This might have been brought up already but I just noticed what it says under your username every time you post. I know it changes based on how many posts you have but you are currently at the "Packers suck" stage :lol: :lol:

:lol: I didn't notice that.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I dont really consider that "humiliating". He said he needs to improve in all areas. I'm sure he would say that about 98% of guys on this team. Thats just his mentality
Most coaches push constant improvement and hold players accountable, few do so as brashly and foward as Zimmer.[/quote]

That's his old school mentality. I like it. I'd rather have that then for it to be sugar coated if I was a player. It pushes me to work harder because you dont want that stuff being said about you.

Side note: This might have been brought up already but I just noticed what it says under your username every time you post. I know it changes based on how many posts you have but you are currently at the "Packers suck" stage :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Old school and putting someone on blast publicly on an often basis aren't the same thing.

Oh jee, thats new. Merry Christmas!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Jordysghost wrote:
Old school and putting someone on blast publicly on an often basis aren't the same thing.
He didnt put Barr "on blast" often. He's answered how many questions on Barr this year and he's been saying he's doing the right things, just not making the splashy plays. The guy asked him: what areas does Barr need to improve in and he says "all". He didnt bad mouth the guy or rip into him. It was a one word answer. That's not putting somebody "on blast"
-Chazz Palminteri
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: He didnt put Barr "on blast" often. He's answered how many questions on Barr this year and he's been saying he's doing the right things, just not making the splashy plays. The guy asked him: what areas does Barr need to improve in and he says "all". He didnt bad mouth the guy or rip into him. It was a one word answer. That's not putting somebody "on blast"
I wasnt referring specifically just to Barr, and Barr previously having been worthy of praise should justify his coach showing him some respect and not publicly discrediting him, Zimmer seems to think such tactics are effective at properly motivating players, I dont.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Mothman wrote:
:lol: I didn't notice that.
This is the coolest thing on the site so far!!
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Mothman wrote:
He looks soft out there. He isn't filling his gap, he isn't leading at the point of attack, he is undisciplined in contain. It is complete and utter BS. It honestly looked like he wasn't even trying on Sunday.

Maybe the team was right to have Aaron Donald high their list back in 2014. :(
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Rapsheet just reported that it WAS Newman after all that instigated this. Something is telling me Newman was a little bitter he wasn't playing as much anymore and maybe wanted to prove a point to Zimmer that he could still cover a guy like Nelson.
-Chazz Palminteri