Somebody tell me where our awesome defense was yesterday?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Martin
Starter

Re: Somebody tell me where our awesome defense was yesterday

Post by Purple Martin »

S197 wrote:Football is about momentum and the Colts hog tied that up like Jared Allen. Their first two drives were very long and wouldn't have been too bad if it ended 6-0 like it should have but Linval apparently thought he was Superman and could jump his 350lb #### over the center on the FG. Momentum almost came back until Peterson's fumble in the red zone. After that it was over.
This. We put ourself down early with stupid predictable play calling and stupid predictable fumbles, and the game was over.
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: I watched Barr, too. The screen pass to Turbin in the second quarter comes to mind. Barr got absolutely manhandled by the Colts' left guard. Just thrown aside like a rag doll. Terrible effort. Great linebackers shed blocks. And on the very next play, the ridiculous Turbin touchdown, he actually got blocked completely out of bounds.

The effort yesterday of the entire defense was just horrible. I never though I'd see a Zimmer-coached team play with such little passion. They got embarrassed.
This is precisely the series of plays that I was referencing. He looked like he was a man not on a mission. I couldn't believe it.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote: I watched Barr, too. The screen pass to Turbin in the second quarter comes to mind. Barr got absolutely manhandled by the Colts' left guard. Just thrown aside like a rag doll. Terrible effort. Great linebackers shed blocks. And on the very next play, the ridiculous Turbin touchdown, he actually got blocked completely out of bounds.

The effort yesterday of the entire defense was just horrible. I never though I'd see a Zimmer-coached team play with such little passion. They got embarrassed.
This is precisely the series of plays that I was referencing. He looked like he was a man not on a mission. I couldn't believe it.[/quote]

I don't know if you guys saw it but yesterday, when Zimmer was asked about the areas where Anthony Barr could be better, he responded: "All."
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Mothman wrote:

I don't know if you guys saw it but yesterday, when Zimmer was asked about the areas where Anthony Barr could be better, he responded: "All."
I did see that....also noticed that Zim seemed very "flat". Something going on behind the scene perhaps?
magster
Practice Squad

Post by magster »

Purple Reign wrote: And what 'bad coaching decision' cost them the game? I assume you are talking about taking a knee at the end of regulation. In case you have forgotten, being aggressive at the end of the first half of that game didn't work out so well. Leading 20-7, the Vikings took possession at their 18-yard line with 1:17 to play before halftime. Two incompletions brought up third-and-10 and Cunningham got sacked and fumbled. The Falcons recovered the ball and scored a touchdown on the next play.

Taking a knee was not a bad coaching decision at that point, especially based on what happened earlier, and it definitely didn't cost us the game. It may have eliminated any chance of winning the game in regulation, but it definitely didn't cost us the game.

If you aren't talking about taking a knee, please inform us what coaching decision you are referring to.
Im sorry but if I have to spell it out....If the Vikes run the ball with Hoard and smith ,both great running backs and run the clock out like he should have done the VIKES GO TO THE SB. That single play besides them not doing anything in the second half costs them the game.Until this team gets good people in the right positions,they NEVER get to the show......SORRY
magster
Practice Squad

Post by magster »

halfgiz wrote:Andrew Luck not sacked for first time in 17 games. Zimmer attributes that to Vikings not stopping run, not playing well in coverage.
Wow Zim you think :lol:
Purple Reign wrote: And what 'bad coaching decision' cost them the game? I assume you are talking about taking a knee at the end of regulation. In case you have forgotten, being aggressive at the end of the first half of that game didn't work out so well. Leading 20-7, the Vikings took possession at their 18-yard line with 1:17 to play before halftime. Two incompletions brought up third-and-10 and Cunningham got sacked and fumbled. The Falcons recovered the ball and scored a touchdown on the next play.

Taking a knee was not a bad coaching decision at that point, especially based on what happened earlier, and it definitely didn't cost us the game. It may have eliminated any chance of winning the game in regulation, but it definitely didn't cost us the game.

If you aren't talking about taking a knee, please inform us what coaching decision you are referring to.
THE VIKES D IS GOOD BUT SINCE 5-0 START THE BEST GAME THEY PALYED WAS DALLAS. LATELY THE D IS NOT GETTING THE JOB DONE AS USUAL,LET ALONE THE PATHETIC O.BRADFORD......MY MOTHER IS MORE MOBILE.JUST ANOTHER TYPICAL VIKING SEASON.I LOVE WHEN THE CAMERA PANS THE AUDIENCE DURING THE GAME AND ALL YOU SEE ON THEIR FACES IS YEAH WE SUCK AGAIN.....THEY HAD TO BEAT INDY AT HOME AND GET BLOWN OUT.....THIS ORGANIZATION AS A HOLE BLOWS....
magster
Practice Squad

Post by magster »

Laserman wrote:simply put , our Defense was a bit over rated by the media and when we went to the bye the team actually bought into what the media was saying about our "Great Defense" and the overconfidence caught up to us. Our defense is NOT great, it has improved under Zimmer and is Fairly decent. It is not a Great Defense in any way shape or form . Sorry to burst the bubble around here.
TOTALLY AGREE HERE...PEOPLE WAKE UP THE VIKES AS A WHOLE ARE STILL PRETTY BAD. THE D IS OVER RATED ZIMMER MEDIOCRE,THE O ISN'T EVEN RATEABLE HERE. GREENBAY EATS THIS TEAM FOR LUNCH.....HELL THEY CANT EVEN BEAT CHICAGO......THEIR BEST GAME WAS AGAINST DALLAS AND THEY LOST....AP GREAT ATHLETE,FUMBLES A LIL TO MUCH IN MY OPINION ANYMORE...LOSSES TO EAGLES REDSKINS AND HOW DID THEY BEAT THE GIANTS AND GREEN BAY THE FIRST TIME AROUND...THEY BEAT TENNESSEE,TEXAS,CAROLINA,....BIG DEAL.......THEY DONT BEAT CAROLINA OR TEXAS NOW....THEIR LUCKY IF THEY BEAT CHICAGO AT HOME......GO SAMMY SLEEVES.....
The-Purple-Reign
Starter

Post by The-Purple-Reign »

Giving up and saving it for next year is bad form considering what fans pay for tickets and such. Last sunday was a not so funny joke to those at the game.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

magster wrote: TOTALLY AGREE HERE...PEOPLE WAKE UP THE VIKES AS A WHOLE ARE STILL PRETTY BAD. THE D IS OVER RATED ZIMMER MEDIOCRE,THE O ISN'T EVEN RATEABLE HERE. GREENBAY EATS THIS TEAM FOR LUNCH.....HELL THEY CANT EVEN BEAT CHICAGO......THEIR BEST GAME WAS AGAINST DALLAS AND THEY LOST....AP GREAT ATHLETE,FUMBLES A LIL TO MUCH IN MY OPINION ANYMORE...LOSSES TO EAGLES REDSKINS AND HOW DID THEY BEAT THE GIANTS AND GREEN BAY THE FIRST TIME AROUND...THEY BEAT TENNESSEE,TEXAS,CAROLINA,....BIG DEAL.......THEY DONT BEAT CAROLINA OR TEXAS NOW....THEIR LUCKY IF THEY BEAT CHICAGO AT HOME......GO SAMMY SLEEVES.....
Magster:

First, a belated :welcome to the board.

Second: please don't post in all caps. It makes your posts more difficult for others to read and it's considered the internet equivalent of shouting (ie: rude).

Thanks. :)
magster
Practice Squad

Post by magster »

magster wrote: THE VIKES D IS GOOD BUT SINCE 5-0 START THE BEST GAME THEY PALYED WAS DALLAS. LATELY THE D IS NOT GETTING THE JOB DONE AS USUAL,LET ALONE THE PATHETIC O.BRADFORD......MY MOTHER IS MORE MOBILE.JUST ANOTHER TYPICAL VIKING SEASON.I LOVE WHEN THE CAMERA PANS THE AUDIENCE DURING THE GAME AND ALL YOU SEE ON THEIR FACES IS YEAH WE SUCK AGAIN.....THEY HAD TO BEAT INDY AT HOME AND GET BLOWN OUT.....THIS ORGANIZATION AS A HOLE BLOWS....
if you think not running the clock out with just over a minute to play in the half especially with a good running core in hoard and smith...you dont know fundemental football
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I think the Defense came out flat-footed in the first two series. They obviously under-estimated the Colts. Once Indy went up by 17, and AP fumbled they mentally broke down and went into the tank. Game Over.

This game was, in my opinion, an exclamation point on many of the recent woes for the Vikings. The Defense finally broke under the weight of carrying the water for an offense with literally zero margin for error. It was very Vikings appropriate that this happened at home in a must win game to go to the playoffs.

Over committing to Adrian Petersen by one OC after another, with no realized tangible benefit in the Zimmer era, reached it's crescendo with that red zone fumble. I'd like to think we've seen the last of that predictable style of play calling, but I fear that so long as #28 wears purple that will not be the case. That crap literally made a bad offense worse yesterday and frankly, the Coaches, especially an experienced staff like we supposedly have, should have known better. Last week they were building an identity for themselves and this week they threw it away in effort of putting all the eggs in the AP basket. It is mind boggling.

This all happened in a game at home vs. a vulnerable opponent with arguably a worse offensive line than ours. That segways to another issue I've been wondering about which reached full steam on Sunday: Somehow starting three rookies, the Colts manhandled our elite defensive line and an aged Frank Gore had one of his best games of the season. Somehow we barely touched Andrew Luck against the same OL in pass protection. Going in the tank above was certainly part of it, but we've seen our DL play inconsistent this year. This game was a captsone on the issue during this 2-7 streak. There have been stretches where our pass rush has seemed to disappear. What gives?

Flat performances have been a bit of a theme the past two seasons. We've seen the team come out in winnable games completely out of character. Examples: 2015 vs. SF, GB, and SEA. 2016 IND, and CHI. This is needs to change.

That game for me had nothing to do with talent. The team gave up mentally. It is a lesson in how small the difference is in the NFL between bad and great.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

This team was close, panicked after an injury and has blown the whole thing up with short-sighted thinking and desperation. What a disgrace this franchise is.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

magster wrote: Im sorry but if I have to spell it out....If the Vikes run the ball with Hoard and smith ,both great running backs and run the clock out like he should have done the VIKES GO TO THE SB. That single play besides them not doing anything in the second half costs them the game.Until this team gets good people in the right positions,they NEVER get to the show......SORRY
Sorry to break it to you but that is nothing more than Monday morning quarterbacking. It's always easy to say what they should have done after the fact plus there is no guarantee that running the ball would have worked. Gary Anderson hadn't missed a field goal all season but he did that day. That is the play that cost us going to the Super Bowl that year, not bad coaching decisions.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

fiestavike wrote:This team was close, panicked after an injury and has blown the whole thing up with short-sighted thinking and desperation. What a disgrace this franchise is.
Aquiring Bradford probably saved you from having 4 wins at this point. If your talking long term ramifications of the trade then maybe i understand, though he certainly didnt hurt 2016.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

magster wrote:TOTALLY AGREE HERE...PEOPLE WAKE UP THE VIKES AS A WHOLE ARE STILL PRETTY BAD. THE D IS OVER RATED ZIMMER MEDIOCRE,THE O ISN'T EVEN RATEABLE HERE. GREENBAY EATS THIS TEAM FOR LUNCH.....HELL THEY CANT EVEN BEAT CHICAGO......THEIR BEST GAME WAS AGAINST DALLAS AND THEY LOST....AP GREAT ATHLETE,FUMBLES A LIL TO MUCH IN MY OPINION ANYMORE...LOSSES TO EAGLES REDSKINS AND HOW DID THEY BEAT THE GIANTS AND GREEN BAY THE FIRST TIME AROUND...THEY BEAT TENNESSEE,TEXAS,CAROLINA,....BIG DEAL.......THEY DONT BEAT CAROLINA OR TEXAS NOW....THEIR LUCKY IF THEY BEAT CHICAGO AT HOME......GO SAMMY SLEEVES.....
You really should switch to decaf.