They flat out gave up

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

They flat out gave up

Post by UKno1VIKING »

Here's my take on Sunday. Which i'm sure isn't echo-ed by everyone, but here it is anyway.
We flat out didn't care. None of those players turned up and fought for the future of this season. I think we can all agree on that. Anyone blaming the blowout on "injuries" or "coaching decisions" need to take those rose tinted spectacles off, because there was zero effort shown on Sunday.
And as far as the future goes, this worries me. If the atmosphere in the changing room is like this now, who says it won't be the same next season.
I've been unfortunate to watch this team for over 20 years now, and can honestly say i cant remember the last time the team lacked character. Talent, oh yes! Lack of character, not in the Vikings vocabulary, in my point of view. (even the Tampa blowout was talent/coaching related)
I find it very hard to cheer on a team with obvious talent, not giving a damn.

Teams only play like that usually when they want someone gone. I can't see that being Zimmer. they seem to rally round him constantly, so the eyes are drawn in another direction.
I find it not just a coincidence that the game they gave up the season, is the game #28 was calling the shots on. I was pretty certain i didn't want to see AD back next season. That last game just confirmed it. He's a 32 year old running back who plays by his own rules, and on top of that seems like he could be the contributing factor to the teams current lack of morale.
AD was great for us. and i hope we retire the #28 someday. He was a great servant to the club. But, that day is gone and the Viking need to move away from his shadow. I also believe we need a new start at some of the coaching spots (Offence, O-line etc). Lets start next year with a relatively clean slate and a team full of talent.

What i saw on sunday, has made me do something i thought i'd never do. I will be missing the game on sunday. As far as this season is concerned, it is over for me. Time to look forward to the Jags. I'm certainly not going to waste my Christmas Eve 6pm, watching Aaron Rodgers tear our Defence running at half speed apart. It will be ugly, and not because they have a more talented side, but because the players have given up.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Re: They flat out gave up

Post by autobon7 »

I agree with your point of view. I just can't see them turning a switch on and being competitive against GB. I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall (great ac/dc song btw) in the facility this week because there could be some career changing conversations going on. Time will tell.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

UKno1VIKING wrote:Here's my take on Sunday. Which i'm sure isn't echo-ed by everyone, but here it is anyway.
We flat out didn't care. None of those players turned up and fought for the future of this season. I think we can all agree on that. Anyone blaming the blowout on "injuries" or "coaching decisions" need to take those rose tinted spectacles off, because there was zero effort shown on Sunday.
And as far as the future goes, this worries me. If the atmosphere in the changing room is like this now, who says it won't be the same next season.
I've been unfortunate to watch this team for over 20 years now, and can honestly say i cant remember the last time the team lacked character. Talent, oh yes! Lack of character, not in the Vikings vocabulary, in my point of view. (even the Tampa blowout was talent/coaching related)

Teams only play like that usually when they want someone gone. I can't see that being Zimmer. they seem to rally round him constantly, so the eyes are drawn in another direction.
I find it not just a coincidence that the game they gave up the season, is the game #28 was calling the shots on. I was pretty certain i didn't want to see AD back next season. That last game just confirmed it. He's a 32 year old running back who plays by his own rules, and on top of that seems like he could be the contributing factor to the teams current lack of morale.
AD was great for us. and i hope we retire the #28 someday. He was a great servant to the club. But, that day is gone and the Viking need to move away from his shadow. I also believe we need a new start at some of the coaching spots (Offence, O-line etc). Lets start next year with a relatively clean slate and a team full of talent.

What i saw on sunday, has made me do something i thought i'd never do. I will be missing the game on sunday. As far as this season is concerned, it is over for me. Time to look forward to the Jags. I'm certainly not going to waste my Christmas Eve 6pm, watching Aaron Rodgers tear our Defence running at half speed apart. It will be ugly, and not because they have a more talented side, but because the players have given up.

I got the same sense on the lack of effort. I'm less convinced about the whole team trying less hard because of AD's presence, but I do think that AD's Viking ship has sailed and the reason for that sentiment was on very clear display on Sunday. I do believe that he ultimately hurts our offense because of his faults and because he causes us to feature him on offense even when that isn't in our best interest. I absolutely believe that our real problems with the running game are OL. If I were GM, I'd target a RB in round 3 or 4 of the upcoming draft, which is said to be deep at the position. We need a guy that can do it all: solid workhorse that can get a yard when you need it, pass pro, can catch the ball. Having to change personnel is a huge issue because it ultimately turns into a tell for the opposing D. We have handled the position by committee and D's can see clearly by which member of the committee is on the field what we are going to do.

It's time to move on from AD.

I'm also concerned about Zimmer. He looks and sounds like a man who no longer truly believes in his own message. When Teddy and AD went down he rallied the troops by saying: "no one in the league will feel sorry for us, and we won't either. We have to keep fighting." He could only say that and believe it for so long. After the injuries piled up, Norv--previously his good friend, whom he now says he no longer considers a friend--abandons him, he has an eye issue that poses the threat of blindness in one eye and makes him miss a game (huge emotional deal for him and his family) etc. etc. I see him as Job from the Old Testament. He is questioning his own faith in himself and is in an existential eddy. In Mexico, the shamans would suggest he get a cleansing to clear his bad mojo.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:I'm also concerned about Zimmer. He looks and sounds like a man who no longer truly believes in his own message. When Teddy and AD went down he rallied the troops by saying: "no one in the league will feel sorry for us, and we won't either. We have to keep fighting." He could only say that and believe it for so long. After the injuries piled up, Norv--previously his good friend, whom he now says he no longer considers a friend--abandons him, he has an eye issue that poses the threat of blindness in one eye and makes him miss a game (huge emotional deal for him and his family) etc. etc. I see him as Job from the Old Testament. He is questioning his own faith in himself and is in an existential eddy. In Mexico, the shamans would suggest he get a cleansing to clear his bad mojo.
Wow, I missed that! When did Zimmer say he no longer considers Norv a friend?
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

It is in one of the interview stories posted on here recently Jim. To me it comes across as Zimmer feels like Norv quit on the team. If any of you recall Zimmer's well publicized views on Bobby Petrino, then his statements here are only surprising in how restrained they are.

Update: Here is the link. http://www.startribune.com/mike-zimmer- ... 407252856/
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

mansquatch wrote:It is in one of the interview stories posted on here recently Jim. To me it comes across as Zimmer feels like Norv quit on the team. If any of you recall Zimmer's well publicized views on Bobby Petrino, then his statements here are only surprising in how restrained they are.

Update: Here is the link. http://www.startribune.com/mike-zimmer- ... 407252856/

Yeah, I posted that in a thread I made for it. Totally worthwhile read--very insightful about where Zim's head is at right now. It's been a damn tough season for him.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:It is in one of the interview stories posted on here recently Jim. To me it comes across as Zimmer feels like Norv quit on the team. If any of you recall Zimmer's well publicized views on Bobby Petrino, then his statements here are only surprising in how restrained they are.

Thanks.

Can someone post the pertinent quote from the article for me? I can't read it. I've used up my free Strib articles for the month.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Its not the conventional opinion, but I think losing Norv was a huge blow to this franchise. There must have been some pretty fundamental disagreements about how to proceed on the offensive side of the ball for Norv to just walk out the door.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
magster
Practice Squad

Post by magster »

UKno1VIKING wrote:Here's my take on Sunday. Which i'm sure isn't echo-ed by everyone, but here it is anyway.

this team played to their best ability,when the money is on the line they suck...they aren't that good....they didn't give up.when your on a team you want to win,period.stop making excuses....for this pathetic loser team...
magster
Practice Squad

Post by magster »

fiestavike wrote:Its not the conventional opinion, but I think losing Norv was a huge blow to this franchise. There must have been some pretty fundamental disagreements about how to proceed on the offensive side of the ball for Norv to just walk out the door.
Norv saw the writing on the wall and bolted....I don't blame him at all.
magster
Practice Squad

Post by magster »

fiestavike wrote:Its not the conventional opinion, but I think losing Norv was a huge blow to this franchise. There must have been some pretty fundamental disagreements about how to proceed on the offensive side of the ball for Norv to just walk out the door.
they didn't give up,got blown out.
magster
Practice Squad

Post by magster »

magster wrote: they didn't give up,got blown out.
I really wonder who would win?????????????????????????????????????????????????? Minny or cleveland???????
think about it,it might keep you up all night...
Holzberg
Practice Squad

Post by Holzberg »

magster wrote: I really wonder who would win?????????????????????????????????????????????????? Minny or cleveland???????
think about it,it might keep you up all night...
We will find out next year in England.
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

magster wrote: this team played to their best ability,when the money is on the line they suck...they aren't that good....they didn't give up.when your on a team you want to win,period.stop making excuses....for this pathetic loser team...
I think you're being slightly over dramatic. Losing games at important times is what we do. And have done ever since a started watching this team.
However, there is no doubt that this team has talent all over the field. we just cant seem to catch a break this year. And the return of the poisoned pill, seems to have been the last straw for this team. I've never seen the D so slack in a long time on Sunday. They can't all have a collectively bad game. Something more sinister is happening in that club, and it concerns me. If it's just the AD thing, then that's a blessing, that that's all it is. He's gone at the end of this season.
If the teams given up on Zim, then i'm worried for the future. I doubt that though.

However, I will be missing my first game on Sunday for a very long time. It's not worth the earache watching them running at 3/4 pace and getting bullied by 'Not in my house' and Co, 6pm UK on Xmas eve. Plus, seeing smug cheese-heads might just involve me ruining Christmas day for everyone.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

it's a good thing we don't play cleveland. Could you imagine losing to them this season? We surely could lose to them too.