Colts @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 15

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Re: Colts @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 15

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

chicagopurple wrote:injuries are not why we are a sad joke this year.
That's a false statement if I ever heard one. I'm not saying this offense would be through the roof or something but that is a HUGE reason why they are struggling more than ever. Period
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: We've been #1 and #2 in points allowed all season until yesterday. What more can you ask for all year when your offense struggles this bad???? But we can't score. I feel like the defense scores more than the offense. They've clearly been preventing other teams from sustaining drives since we were allowing an average of 17 points all season. That argument makes zero sense
I am referring to your claim that the offense is the reason the defense gets tired because it is on the field too long. Just because a defense doesn't give up a lot of points doesn't mean they aren't giving up a lot of yards (ie. sustained drives - whether they end up getting points or not). Here are a couple of stats to think about. To date, the offense has run 870 plays while the defense has been on the field for 876 plays, an almost even 50-50 split. The Vikings also have an edge in time of possession with an average of 30:36 per game versus 29:52 so I think blaming the offense for the defense not being able to get off the field makes zero sense.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

Not sure if the vikings fans posting here are real fans just angry fans, which is understandable, or just frauds because some of these statements are just out there...
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Dmizzle0 wrote:Not sure if the vikings fans posting here are real fans just angry fans, which is understandable, or just frauds because some of these statements are just out there...
You're telling me
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Purple Reign wrote: I am referring to your claim that the offense is the reason the defense gets tired because it is on the field too long. Just because a defense doesn't give up a lot of points doesn't mean they aren't giving up a lot of yards (ie. sustained drives - whether they end up getting points or not). Here are a couple of stats to think about. To date, the offense has run 870 plays while the defense has been on the field for 876 plays, an almost even 50-50 split. The Vikings also have an edge in time of possession with an average of 30:36 per game versus 29:52 so I think blaming the offense for the defense not being able to get off the field makes zero sense.
Ok? They aren't giving up a lot of yards. They are middle of the road in run defense and a top 3 pass defense. And #6 now in total defense. They were number 3 before last game
-Chazz Palminteri
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Purple Reign wrote: I am referring to your claim that the offense is the reason the defense gets tired because it is on the field too long. Just because a defense doesn't give up a lot of points doesn't mean they aren't giving up a lot of yards (ie. sustained drives - whether they end up getting points or not). Here are a couple of stats to think about. To date, the offense has run 870 plays while the defense has been on the field for 876 plays, an almost even 50-50 split. The Vikings also have an edge in time of possession with an average of 30:36 per game versus 29:52 so I think blaming the offense for the defense not being able to get off the field makes zero sense.
The difference should be obvious.

Until yesterday, the defense was tops in the league for scoring. Meanwhile, the offense is just about dead last.

I don't think it has anything to do with being tired. It has to do with being exasperated at an offense that almost never scores. Look at yesterday. The Vikings defense started in a fairly similar manner to other games. Indy got in field goal range, but the Vikings stopped them. But then came the unsportsmanlike penalty on the second FG, and all of a sudden Indy is scoring a touchdown. Ironically, the penalty was on defensive starter Linval Joseph. Then Adrian Peterson fumbled away a promising scoring opportunity, and it just seemed like the defense gave up.

So again, I don't see it as fatigue. I see it as exasperation. These guys are pros, so it's not an excuse. But it is a possible reason.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote: The difference should be obvious.

Until yesterday, the defense was tops in the league for scoring. Meanwhile, the offense is just about dead last.

I don't think it has anything to do with being tired. It has to do with being exasperated at an offense that almost never scores. Look at yesterday. The Vikings defense started in a fairly similar manner to other games. Indy got in field goal range, but the Vikings stopped them. But then came the unsportsmanlike penalty on the second FG, and all of a sudden Indy is scoring a touchdown. Ironically, the penalty was on defensive starter Linval Joseph. Then Adrian Peterson fumbled away a promising scoring opportunity, and it just seemed like the defense gave up.

So again, I don't see it as fatigue. I see it as exasperation. These guys are pros, so it's not an excuse. But it is a possible reason.
Could be. Whatever it is, for this defense to continue to be top of the league in just about every category shows how good they are. You guys want to get bent out of shape over the last game, go ahead. But the proof is in the stats. I mean denvers defense has been considered elite and they have a MUCH worse run defense than us. They are 29th in the league. I feel like there are many overreactors on here that are getting bent out of shape over last game. This defense is MUCH better than some are giving them credit for
-Chazz Palminteri
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Ok? They aren't giving up a lot of yards. They are middle of the road in run defense and a top 3 pass defense. And #6 now in total defense. They were number 3 before last game
However you claim they are on the field a lot more compared to other teams and get tired. How can that be if they aren't giving up many yards/points? I think you have a misconception that the defense is on the field so much more than other teams. Have you really looked at the stats?

Here is a list of the top 10 defenses (based on points allowed) and how many plays they have been on the field this year. There are very few teams that are on the field less than the Vikings - so that argument doesn't fly.

NE 885
SEA 903
NYG 950
DEN 948
DAL 861
MIN 876
BAL 871
KC 940
PIT 846
DET 839
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Purple Reign wrote:
However you claim they are on the field a lot more compared to other teams and get tired. How can that be if they aren't giving up many yards/points? I think you have a misconception that the defense is on the field so much more than other teams. Have you really looked at the stats?

Here is a list of the top 10 defenses (based on points allowed) and how many plays they have been on the field this year. There are very few teams that are on the field less than the Vikings - so that argument doesn't fly.

NE 885
SEA 903
NYG 950
DEN 948
DAL 861
MIN 876
BAL 871
KC 940
PIT 846
DET 839
I appreciate the stats and have no problem eating crow on that one. However, I would like to know how many 3 and outs/short drives we've allowed compared to those teams. I have no idea where you would find those stats
-Chazz Palminteri
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:
I agree. I think the offensive ineptitude affects the moral of the defense, and I think its also got Zimmer rattled and off of his "A" game. I can't imagine how hard it must be to stay motivated on defense when you know you will get no help from your offense. Professional or not, they're human.
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Purple Martin wrote: I agree. I think the offensive ineptitude affects the moral of the defense, and I think its also got Zimmer rattled and off of his "A" game. I can't imagine how hard it must be to stay motivated on defense when you know you will get no help from your offense. Professional or not, they're human.
Exactly. This defense is not "overrated", or average or a "7/10". This defense is very very good. This offense doesnt help them in any way.
-Chazz Palminteri
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: I appreciate the stats and have no problem eating crow on that one. However, I would like to know how many 3 and outs/short drives we've allowed compared to those teams. I have no idea where you would find those stats
Good to see that you can admit when you are wrong (some people on here can't do that :) ). Yeah, I'm not sure if you can find that kind of stat without going through each game's play-by-play.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Purple Reign wrote: Good to see that you can admit when you are wrong (some people on here can't do that :) ). Yeah, I'm not sure if you can find that kind of stat without going through each game's play-by-play.
If I'm wrong I have no problem admitting it. I'm usually a big stat guy and know/look a lot of that stuff up but that was one stat I didnt even think to look up. It just seemed by the naked eye that our defense has been on the field forever which wasnt true
-Chazz Palminteri
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:If I'm wrong I have no problem admitting it. I'm usually a big stat guy and know/look a lot of that stuff up but that was one stat I didnt even think to look up. It just seemed by the naked eye that our defense has been on the field forever which wasnt true
You might have been wrong about that stat, but your point about three and outs and short drives is valid. Also factor in the stress on any defense required to basically win the games by itself while the offense can't finish drives, kicks field goals instead of scores TDs (when they don't miss the FG), and basically falters in key moments.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

losperros wrote: You might have been wrong about that stat, but your point about three and outs and short drives is valid. Also factor in the stress on any defense required to basically win the games by itself while the offense can't finish drives, kicks field goals instead of scores TDs (when they don't miss the FG), and basically falters in key moments.
Very true :!:
-Chazz Palminteri