The Vikings Super Bowl drought

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: The Vikings Super Bowl drought

Post by Raptorman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I am still young, there is still hope to see the team win one before I pass from this world.

I am more concerned for my father. He is 62. He's been a fan since he was a little kid (about 1964). I cannot imagine how he, or the other older gentlemen and ladies who have been fans for over 40 years, can continue to watch this team fail year in and year out. I just want us to experience a Super Bowl win as father and son.

I know it is just sports at the end of the day. I don't have palpable/meaningful connection to the Vikings like I did to the Hawks. Still, it is so fascinating to me how I am (all of us actually) are so invested in this team. A team in which we have zero impact on outside of tuning in (in person or on TV) each week.
Exactly what I said in 1976 after they lost to the Raiders in the Super Bowl.

And why do us old timers continue to watch? I can tell you why I do. Because the moment I dis-invest myself in this team and latch on to another, they will win the Super Bowl.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Raptorman wrote:Exactly what I said in 1976 after they lost to the Raiders in the Super Bowl.
Same here. :(
And why do us old timers continue to watch? I can tell you why I do. Because the moment I dis-invest myself in this team and latch on to another, they will win the Super Bowl.
:lol: That's probably what would happen.

At this point, I wouldn't even know how to dis-invest in the team. I've been a fan for too long.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Mothman wrote: Same here. :(
:lol: That's probably what would happen.

At this point, I wouldn't even know how to dis-invest in the team. I've been a fan for too long.
Its looking like that drought is going to last a long time too. I still believe the trade for Bradford will cost Zim and Spielman their jobs and we'll be back to square 1. That's a mule you don't want to hitch your wagon to.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

I was born in 76. The droughts aren't what kill me, its the almost scripted "catastrophic incident that derails a season" event every year we get a sniff of the playoffs. The gary anderson bs, favres interception, the 44-0 debacle was at least tolerable. Or seasons like this year where we throw away close games and lose to teams we should beat. Its frustrating. Year in year out same ####.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Peterson league mvp, starting qb gets hurt before the playoff opener. Walsh last year. TJack's jump pass. Cardinals last second td to eliminate us. List goes on.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

If Wilf is serious, and not just happy to have a shiny stadium and a Super Bowl to host, he will replace Spielman and ALL his support staff and bring in a known successful GM with excellent scouts and coaches, who HAVE won it all. Every coach and administrator needs to be top notch. They are a CHEAP commodity compared to all the wasted money he has let Spielman spend on Football talent on the field. None of this current coaching/admin staff has got the job done. They have had enough time.....time to commit to victory with a deadly serious intent. No "lowyalty", no "home town favorites".....just win. Period.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Well, add 2016 to the list of years Minnesota will go without a Super Bowl. Here's to 2017. :)
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
doa2k
Veteran

Post by doa2k »

Having been born in 1966 my earliest childhood memories include watching those 70s
vikings try and fail in the SB, the great purple people eaters as the defense was referred to.
Those days of routing for the Vikings to win a SB (being that they never had) solidified my lifelong
allegiance to the franchise, even though I had no history in MN, having lived in NJ at the time.
That and the fact that they were the only purple team, which at the time I thought was pretty cool.

Since then I, like the rest of you, have endured what has seemed to be a never ending series of heart crushing
events, one after another. Nothing surprises me anymore. Curse? Nah. I'm not superstitious. Bad luck?
Perhaps...

2009 still hurts the most. Yes 1998 too, but time has passed and no need to dwell.

The NFC game in 2009 still stings to me. Albeit with turnovers and not without fault, bounty-gate or not,
That game solidified my respect for Favre for being a warrior, a true NFL soldier. We should have won that game
but it didn't happen.

My only wish is to see Big V raise the Lombardi trophy one time while I'm still breathing.

Now at 50, I'd say its a 50/50 proposition :wink:

SKOL! :rock:
GO V!
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

chicagopurple wrote:If Wilf is serious, and not just happy to have a shiny stadium and a Super Bowl to host, he will replace Spielman and ALL his support staff and bring in a known successful GM with excellent scouts and coaches, who HAVE won it all. Every coach and administrator needs to be top notch. They are a CHEAP commodity compared to all the wasted money he has let Spielman spend on Football talent on the field. None of this current coaching/admin staff has got the job done. They have had enough time.....time to commit to victory with a deadly serious intent. No "lowyalty", no "home town favorites".....just win. Period.

K... You let me know when you find a known successful out of work GM and the requisite support staff. Also, let me know when you find the unicorn and the flying pig.

Also, if Wilf cared he would get the entire Patriots team, force our New GM to draft future HoFers and dig up the corpse of Lombardi to replace Zimmer.

Commit Wilf. WTF.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

You dont get a best guys by waiting for him to be out of work....You make them a lucrative better offer and TAKE them from winning organizations. Or you show the acumen to identify a young star who works under a guy like Belicheck......That is Wilf's responsiblity. No one he has in his admin currently is good enough....the proof is right in front of him....
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

chicagopurple wrote:You dont get a best guys by waiting for him to be out of work....You make them a lucrative better offer and TAKE them from winning organizations. Or you show the acumen to identify a young star who works under a guy like Belicheck......That is Wilf's responsiblity. No one he has in his admin currently is good enough....the proof is right in front of him....

That's insanity. What current SUPERBOWL winning GM is going to leave his organization, that he is arguably in the process of guiding to ANOTHER Superbowl, to start a total rebuild project in Wintery Minnesota?

Proven Scouts have lucrative jobs
Proven Front office staff have lucrative jobs
Proven GMs have lucrative jobs
Minnesota doesn't compete with California, Florida, New York, or even Texas as a home, which, more than likely, 85% of the front office staff will have to be based out of MN. Not everyone can telecommute to Winter Park.

Its fine if you want a change, that's fair. But "THROW MONEY AT THE BEST SO THEY COME HERE" Is how you overpay for phone in effort. Or how you end up with the Hershel Walker trade 2.0

The scouts seem pretty good, and our finance guys are rock solid (when was the last time we had a cap "emergency")
purpletinted66
Starter

Post by purpletinted66 »

chicagopurple wrote:If Wilf is serious, and not just happy to have a shiny stadium and a Super Bowl to host, he will replace Spielman and ALL his support staff and bring in a known successful GM with excellent scouts and coaches, who HAVE won it all. Every coach and administrator needs to be top notch. They are a CHEAP commodity compared to all the wasted money he has let Spielman spend on Football talent on the field. None of this current coaching/admin staff has got the job done. They have had enough time.....time to commit to victory with a deadly serious intent. No "lowyalty", no "home town favorites".....just win. Period.
I don't know if we were worthy to the curse or if we are like in the book of Job, who was an overcomer, but if my arm ever falls from shoulderblade i'll be sure to blame zimmer and speilman, also because proven super bowl mangers and coaches are guarantees for repeat success.

sent from tapatio talk
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

1975 hurt the most for me. Best all around team The Vikings ever assembled
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

I agree Laserman, though the 98 team was pretty dominate.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I wonder if a drought is worse or being a team like the Bills and losing four straight SB's. I was watching a show on Vice last night and the guy went to a Bills tailgate. Their fans basically embrace they're the "losers" of the NFL and support their team no matter what. I honestly never thought of the Bills as losers but I guess losing all those Super Bowls is a pretty bad stigma.

The show's called "Dead Set on Life" if anyone is interested. It was nice to see the fan loyalty despite the hardship.