Colts @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 15

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Just Me
Hall of Famer

Re: Colts @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 15

Post by Just Me »

dkoby wrote:Wow, we lose our QB, money back, 4 to 5 Olineman to injury and our offensive coordinator walks out on the team in the middle of the season and you guys question the head coach (which still has a top 5 defense) and GM? I guess we still wish we had Chilly, Milquetoast and the QB who shall remain nameless. Many people here gave him (Ponder) much more rope than Teddy has received.
Maybe we should be looking more closely at why the OC walked out. As to your points regarding Chili, 'Milquetoast' (whom I assume is Frazier), and Ponder, I'm not even sure that's relevant.) Just because I don't want bad coaches/QBs on the team doesn't mean I have to go to 'worse' ones. I don't want Ponder, any more than I don't want Jackson or a random aging veteran. Does that mean I can't strive for better?

I already acknowledged Zimmer may be a great defensive coach, but he is a *head coach* which means if ha can only be good at 2/3 of his job (special teams are in there too, don't forget), I can want someone who would do well in all three phases of the game? Denny Green fielded an awesome offense most of his years. He failed because he never had an excellent defense. Everyone seems to forget that when Anderson missed his FG in 98, the Vikings still led by 7 points. The defense couldn't stop Atlanta.
No one looking at this team as it sits right now would have given us a shot to win 3 games given these circumstances.
The defense (which Zim is in charge of) has been the only bright spot. Oh, and let's not forget the kicker who had a mental breakdown this season. All which attributes to the mental makeup of the team.
The same kicker that arguably should have been dealt with in the off-season?
If I'm questioning anything, it's the physical conditioning program that is in place. Too many injuries to the offensive line in the last couple years. I guess that's part of Zimmers call, so I guess he should be fired. Let's not give him the opportunity to fix it or to learn from mistakes.
You mean the previous conditioning coach that was let go? Maybe the one that in hindsight, we maybe should have kept? Look I'm not saying Fire Zimmer! (Thought that was clear from my post) I think he does deserve the opportunity to learn from his mistakes. Assuming he does so, next season will be awesome and there is no harm done is considering the issue. At what point does the HC get held accountable for his performance (or lack thereof)? If Zimmer fields the #1 defense and turns in a 9-7 season next year (due to lackluster offensive performance). Do we stick with him because he is a great defensive coach?
Sorry for the sarcasm, but I'm as frustrated as anyone. I believe Zimmer IS a great coach. He was brought in to fix a team with the last ranked defense. He did that. People have to realize AD is not the answer to every problem for this team.
Right now this team, other than its defense, has no identity. The QB question is now front and center. Again.
I don't expect Peterson to be the answer. I'm not even sure you can evaluate any QB (Bradford, Bridgewater, or whomever we stick back there) with the OL we currently have. Shouldn't the Head Coach be accountable for the Offense's performance (as well as the defense's)?
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Zimmers done nothing but go up with this team and was decimated by injuries this year. I see no reason he should be on the "hot seat" next year
No no, leave the knee-jerkers alone, this is about the only entertaining thing this season so far is watching people overreact
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Zimmers done nothing but go up with this team and was decimated by injuries this year. I see no reason he should be on the "hot seat" next year
Zimmers not in the hot seat .

Colts started 3 rookies on OL today and they done ok against our D. Put up over 30 points and 161 yards rushing.
Sparano needs fired because the Oline hasn't showed nothing all year. 34 yards rushing today is pathetic.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

Boon wrote:
No no, leave the knee-jerkers alone, this is about the only entertaining thing this season so far is watching people overreact

Wait, I'm sorry. I can't even over-react very well. Lemme have a 'second-go':

FIRE EVERYONE NOW!!!!!

Ok, but on a serious note: After 3 years, should the Vikings be looking at their long term goals and if this is the best way to accomplish them? (Granted I'm even OK with discounting this year as one of the three due to the 'bad luck' (or whatever you want to call it). Is it too early in your estimation to raise these questions? (I'm guessing yes, but if it is too early, then when does one question it?)
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Hunter Morrow wrote:Worst Vikings game of the decade. Shockingly bad. Only 41-0 compares. I think going 5-0 then producing this in our last 9 games is so shocking. At least the Kai Forbath showed up and booted a 51 yarder. So we have that going for us, which is nice.
Caddy shack, Which is Nice !!!!
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Boon wrote: No no, leave the knee-jerkers alone, this is about the only entertaining thing this season so far is watching people overreact
How do you not have your players ready to play for a must win game? Not only that, he called a piss poor game on defense. Absolutely embarrassing performance. The season is now effectively over.

How much longer are we not going to hold him accountable for the short comings of the offense? He is the head coach, not the defensive coordinator. The offense needs to be addressed by the head coach - it cannot simply be delegated out.

I am just saying it is FAIR to question whether or not he is the coach that can lead us to the Super Bowl and win it. It is not like a said to fire the guy today. JC.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: How do you not have your players ready to play for a must win game? Not only that, he called a piss poor game on defense. Absolutely embarrassing performance. The season is now effectively over.

How much longer are we not going to hold him accountable for the short comings of the offense? He is the head coach, not the defensive coordinator. The offense needs to be addressed by the head coach - it cannot simply be delegated out.

I am just saying it is FAIR to question whether or not he is the coach that can lead us to the Super Bowl and win it. It is not like a said to fire the guy today. JC.
I think Mike Zimmer has done alright job and should be given another year.

But I also understand your point, Zimmer will have coached a 7- 9, 11- 5 and at most 9-7 years after this year, that is not incredible, by any means. Not terrible at all, but certainly enough to overlook your options.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Jordysghost wrote:
Yep 9-7 you know Zim likes showing Rodgers love :lol:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Just Me wrote:<Sigh> I can't even laugh at my own dumb joke. (This loss is so disappointing)

I'll be honest, Jim. I kind of thought you (and others) had been a little over-critical of Zimmer. With the issues he's had to deal with, I'd taken solace from the fact that the Vikings were "in" most of the games they had played. While the defense had played games that varied from 'elite' to 'average,' I had seen a defensive improvement on the team, and I was 'pinning my hopes' on the defense's performance. When we lost, I was still encouraged by the fact that Zimmer had the team moving in the right direction. I had fallen into the "moral victory" way of thinking that a 'close loss' (considering the injuries we have sustained this year) was almost as good as a win.

I'm not saying it's time to 'fire Rick and Zim' and I still tend to have an (overall) favorable opinion of Zimmer, I'm am ready to start seriously entertaining questions concerning their long-term ability to reach the goal (of a Super Bowl win). I'm hoping today was a 'stumble' on the defensive front, but the offense is too regularly anemic and it has to change. Zimmer may indeed be a great defensive coach, but he's a head coach now and needs to figure out a way to have excellence on both sides of the ball.
Well said. That's been my feeling about him for a long time now. I'm hoping he can figure out how to have excellence in all phases of the game but neither this season or the previous two have been encouraging when it comes to the offense.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Yep 9-7 you know Zim likes showing Rodgers love :lol:[/quote]

Im thinking your facing the least dysfunctional GB team you have played in a while, but I certainly dont take any division rivals lightly, especially not the Division Champions.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

In nearly 50 years of Vikings fandom, 4 Super Bowl losses, 5 NFCC game losses, and countless gut-wrenching losses in the regular season, this may be the most disappointing season ever for me personally.

To go from 11-5 and a division championship to 5-0 and the top-ranked team on most power lists, to THIS? It's almost unthinkable. I know there have been injuries, but what I saw today, from a team that had a real opportunity to at least make a strong finish, was absolutely the worst EFFORT I've seen from a Vikings team since Les Steckel. It's on thing to lose. It's another to get embarrassed at home by a very mediocre team in a hugely important game.

Most of you know that I really like Mike Zimmer. He's my favorite coach since Bud Grant. But he's got some 'splaining to do, and frankly, his press conference today was just as poor a performance as his team's. I get that he's pissed, but his non-answers and I-don't-knows were frankly not acceptable, and he's honestly becoming somewhat unbearable in these situations. I suppose coaches don't like doing them, but we fans and the money we spend are what pay his salary, so it wouldn't kill him to at least try to inform us.

Just ... really disappointed in this team.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
The-Purple-Reign
Starter

Post by The-Purple-Reign »

One thing I don't like in pressies is the "we just need to focus on next week" answer to everything. I want some sense of urgency about what's at stake. If I was at the press I would start my questions with "I understand you have to focus on next week, but what do you think about ___"

Thats just me...
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Dude why am I seeing Zimmer being on the hot seat and "give him one more year". What are you guys even talking about? Since he's been here he's done nothing but improve this teams record and lead them to the playoffs. We were killed by injuries this year. So essentially the guy had one "bad" year caused by injuries.

The Arizona Cardinals were worse than us this year. Must mean Bruce Arians should be on the hot seat or only given "one more year" because he had one bad year since he's been there. Give me a break these reactions are pathetic.

Yeah it sucks guys. We got killed today. This has been the year from hell. Key players hurt, offensive coordinator resigns, lose our coach for a game, Blair Walsh costing us games, etc. It sucks but sh** happens. Let's relax with the overreactions
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Tice
6-10
9-7
8-8 (lost Div)
9-7

Childress
6-10
8-8
10-6 (lost WC)
12-4 (Lost NFC C)
6-10

Frazier
3-13
10-6 (lost WC)
5-10-1

Zimmer
7-9
11-5 (lost WC)
7-7 (most likely 7-9, lost 7 of last 9)

"nothing but go up with this team"

seriously, dude??? 2016 version of the vikes is the worst that I can ever remember. I've been a fan since the early '80s. This team is seriously the worst I can remember, They are absolutely awful, brutal, terrible. I can't remember being more hopeless as a vikings fan

nothing but go up.....give me a break.......zimmer is on the hot seat next year.....I hope.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Dude why am I seeing Zimmer being on the hot seat and "give him one more year". What are you guys even talking about? Since he's been here he's done nothing but improve this teams record and lead them to the playoffs. We were killed by injuries this year. So essentially the guy had one "bad" year caused by injuries.

The Arizona Cardinals were worse than us this year. Must mean Bruce Arians should be on the hot seat or only given "one more year" because he had one bad year since he's been there. Give me a break these reactions are pathetic.

Yeah it sucks guys. We got killed today. This has been the year from hell. Key players hurt, offensive coordinator resigns, lose our coach for a game, Blair Walsh costing us games, etc. It sucks but sh** happens. Let's relax with the overreactions

Because he coached a terrible game today and deserves criticism.

Also: AD's return didn't help our run game, so hopefully you see that it's our OL, not Asiata, causing the problems.