If Teddy is 100%, who should be start @ QB next season?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Assuming Teddy is 100% and has a full offseason, who should start next season?

Teddy Bridgewater
22%
Sam Bradford
73%
Comedy Option (Spergon Wynn, John David Booty, Donovan McNabb)
4%

Total votes: 49

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: If Teddy is 100%, who should be start @ QB next season?

Post by Mothman »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: Image

No more long-term premature extensions please. We have seen this movie before, and I don't want to see it anymore (i.e. Blair, Rudolph, Fusco).

Giving Bradford a 5-7 year deal would be an unnecessarily risky move...
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:He will also cost a ton, and is slow and immobile. And holds the ball so defenders can swat at it. The last one is fixable, if we get a decent oline.
Are you talking about Teddy or Bradford? I hope Teddy...
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:He will also cost a ton, and is slow and immobile. And holds the ball so defenders can swat at it. The last one is fixable, if we get a decent oline.
Bradford had our longest run last Sunday, had a nice run the week before, and has apparently been told he needs to use those chicken-bone legs for running once in a while. He's not slow at all for a quarterback.

His blind side awareness could deinitely improve, and that's why they can slap the ball out of his hands (after getting past the traffic cones on our OL)
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

Purple Martin wrote: Bradford had our longest run last Sunday, had a nice run the week before, and has apparently been told he needs to use those chicken-bone legs for running once in a while. He's not slow at all for a quarterback.

His blind side awareness could deinitely improve, and that's why they can slap the ball out of his hands (after getting past the traffic cones on our OL)
All I will say is people need to look at his fumbles and his sacks, with THAT OL and then compare them to Newton, Wilson Teddy and the like before making such statements. You might be surprised....
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Texas Vike wrote: I had the same thought, but I think Fiesta is just pouting.
Same reason fans thought/wanted TJoke and Ponder to do something somewhere else, because they invested in them for so long. Funny, they didn't. And I really doubt Teddy would either. Better chance than those two, but still not much of a chance.

Bradford should go into next season as the starter, Teddy as the backup. No contest, no split snaps. We put up with that silly split snaps competition garbage too much in the past. Bradford showed so far this year with nothing at all around him that he is a better QB than Teddy will ever be. Why is this even a question. :wallbang:
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Demi wrote:Same reason fans thought/wanted TJoke and Ponder to do something somewhere else, because they invested in them for so long. Funny, they didn't. And I really doubt Teddy would either. Better chance than those two, but still not much of a chance.

Bradford should go into next season as the starter, Teddy as the backup. No contest, no split snaps. We put up with that silly split snaps competition garbage too much in the past. Bradford showed so far this year with nothing at all around him that he is a better QB than Teddy will ever be. Why is this even a question. :wallbang:
For me it's definitely fandom to a degree though I think we can agree Teddy was/is a better talent than Ponder/Tjack. Teddy went to school in my town and he's a great kid so that has a lot to do with what I want to see. I think he's also a great leader and with time would be exceptional at reading defenses, calling proper audiables, etc. If he could win in a competition I would love that but I wouldn't hand it to him and so far Bradford has definitely been the better QB. Having a solid backup behind Bradford is a must with his history and the Vikings offensive line and at the least I think Teddy is that. He's got a place on the team regardless if he's a starter or not in my opinion. That is if Teddy can recover ... I feel that's still a pretty big question at this point.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Purple Martin wrote:Bradford had our longest run last Sunday, had a nice run the week before, and has apparently been told he needs to use those chicken-bone legs for running once in a while. He's not slow at all for a quarterback.

Agree with all the above.

Bradford has surprised me with his runs. While he's no scrambler, he's a better overall athlete than most people think he is.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Cliff wrote:That is if Teddy can recover ... I feel that's still a pretty big question at this point.
Yes, it's definitely a big question. Teddy may need more than a season to fully recover. Even then he might not be the same.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

losperros wrote: Agree with all the above.

Bradford has surprised me with his runs. While he's no scrambler, he's a better overall athlete than most people think he is.
He's getting healthier and more importantly he has gained all the trust back in his twice repaired knee. If you saw Sam's rookie take you'd see how well he moved in and around the pocket.

THIS is why he was the #1 overall pick; the vision, touch, arm talent and ability to throw guys open with crazy accuracy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9wIvl-OZ6M

Or: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJgZDeviWKc
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

To nobody's surprise, Tom Pelissero reported this today:

Minnesota Vikings plan to bring back Sam Bradford for 2017 season
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

Mothman wrote:To nobody's surprise, Tom Pelissero reported this today:

But Bradford has helped the Vikings stay in the playoff hunt at 7-6 by playing some of his best football under difficult circumstances, including a lack of offseason work to learn the Vikings’ scheme and his receivers, injuries that decimated the o-line, virtually no running game and offensive coordinator Norv Turner’s surprise resignation Nov. 2.
Lol. Apparently nobody on the offense had learned the Vikings offensive "scheme" under 2 years of Norv, so his departure was barely a speed bump. They should have phrased it "playing some of his best football under difficult circumstances including having to work under Norv Turner's outdated, inept offensive coordination... etc etc". :D

I'm glad they are bringing him back and I hope they continue throwing the ball and not be tempted to revert to the AP-centric style of recent years that gets us close, but never quite there.
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

It would be utterly asinine if they didn't keep Sam. I would be in favor of a short-term extension (2017, 2018 with a guaranteed roster bonus if he remains on the team in '18) for Sam to lower his cap number a bit. No long-term premature extensions though please Rick.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

This team just refuses to get serious about building a winner. I guess I can't blame them, but it feels like their primary interest is keeping enough fan interest to fill the seats in any given year, not build a championship caliber team.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

fiestavike wrote: This team just refuses to get serious about building a winner. I guess I can't blame them, but it feels like their primary interest is keeping enough fan interest to fill the seats in any given year, not build a championship caliber team.
How is keeping the best QB on your team counterproductive to winning?
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:
It would be utterly asinine if they didn't keep Sam. I would be in favor of a short-term extension (2017, 2018 with a guaranteed roster bonus if he remains on the team in '18) for Sam to lower his cap number a bit. No long-term premature extensions though please Rick.
Problem is Sam's camp is holding most of the cards. His cap hit next year is $22mil ($17 in cash value) and there are at least 8-10 teams in need of a new QB. I know Sam loves it in MN and I guess I understand some fans apprehension though not fully. Is it really that hard to see how good this offense could be if the line improves and they square away the RB situation? This is a championship roster imo and to think if the bulb goes on for Treadwell next year?