Vikings vs. Jaguars PFF Grades

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Vikings vs. Jaguars PFF Grades

Post by Maelstrom88 »

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-mi ... gs-to-win/

They actually had a game plan that called for deep passes! I was pleased :rock: Solid win albeit against a team that isn't very good but I'll take it.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Vikings vs. Jaguars PFF Grades

Post by IIsweet »

I really like their reports. I didn't see the game, but good to see certain guys showing up on their lists !!!
Top offensive grades:

QB Sam Bradford, 79.7
LG Alex Boone, 78.5
TE Kyle Rudolph, 78.0
WR Adam Thielen, 77.6
HB Jerick McKinnon, 68.9

Top defensive grades:

DE Everson Griffin, 84.0
DT Linval Joseph, 78.8
LB Eric Kendricks, 78.5
CB Trae Waynes, 78.1
CB Terence Newman, 77.3
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Hunter had a great game against the run grading out at a 90 plus notching another sack to his total. Live that kid! They need Adrian back to get this run game going or at least the threat of it going.
mael·strom

Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

My wife after a couple long passes: Where has this offense been all season?
Me: Not playing the 2-10 Jaguars.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Cliff wrote:My wife after a couple long passes: Where has this offense been all season?
:point:
mael·strom

RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

Cliff wrote:My wife after a couple long passes: Where has this offense been all season?
Me: Tell your wife you're sorry because you just found out that the Jags have the number TWO pass defense in the NFL.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

That's because most teams have a lot of success rushing and don't need to pass as much. Doesn't mean the pass defense is good necessarily. Also when teams have comfortable leads they can take the air out of the ball which in turn makes the passing yards against look better.
mael·strom

Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Maelstrom88 wrote:That's because most teams have a lot of success rushing and don't need to pass as much. Doesn't mean the pass defense is good necessarily. Also when teams have comfortable leads they can take the air out of the ball which in turn makes the passing yards against look better.
Not necessarily true. While they have had the least amount of passing attempts against them, the league average is around 463, about 40 more than the Jags. That's about 3.4 pass attempts less per game. While the teams that they have played are averaging 25.7 rushing attempts per game with the league average of 25.9 rushing attempts per game.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Maelstrom88 wrote:That's because most teams have a lot of success rushing and don't need to pass as much. Doesn't mean the pass defense is good necessarily. Also when teams have comfortable leads they can take the air out of the ball which in turn makes the passing yards against look better.
The Jaguars have a very impressive secondary.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
beerfan
Backup

Post by beerfan »

An interesting article regarding Bradfords surprising amount of downfield passes:

http://jacksonville.com/sports/2016-12- ... dford-loss

Also the Jaguars pass defense has been much improved this year. Jalen Ramsey looks like a stud and the acquisitions of Tashaun Gispon and Prince Amakumara as well as a new scheme have helped the Jags defense improve a ton. Unfortunately Bortles has been terrible for them so their improved defense hasnt helped them win more often.

Either way this game was just another example of what Bradford is capable of. If we give him time and he is on he is good enough to pick apart any defense. Hopefully he tears up the Packers D in two weeks on Christmas Eve just like he did the first time we played cause ill be in attendance.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Kendricks is twice then LB then Barr in my book. Barr was supposed to be the AD of LB's, but im much more afriad of losing

Kendricks then Barr. Barr has a nice called blitz sometimes, but not as good as Kendricks.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Kendricks is twice then LB then Barr in my book. Barr was supposed to be the AD of LB's, but im much more afriad of losing

Kendricks then Barr. Barr has a nice called blitz sometimes, but not as good as Kendricks.
Kendricks was awesome yesterday. I think he is the linchpin of the defense.
mael·strom

UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

Maelstrom88 wrote: Kendricks was awesome yesterday. I think he is the linchpin of the defense.
They don't seem to be blitzing Barr as much as last season, which is surprising as it's a great strength of his.

I wonder if they are holding him back a bit for the playoffs :wink:
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

RFIP wrote: Me: Tell your wife you're sorry because you just found out that the Jags have the number TWO pass defense in the NFL.
If you're looking at yards alone, sure ... but why would anybody judge an entire defense that way? They are letting teams catch 64.7% of passes thrown at them which is 25th worst in the league. QBs have a 93.3 average QBR against them which is 21st in the league. They're the worst in the league at intercepting the ball with 3. They also give up the 27th most points in the league.

As much as I would like to think the Vikings passing offense had suddenly turned it around and beat up on the 2nd best pass defense in the league, that's just not the case.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Cliff wrote: If you're looking at yards alone, sure ... but why would anybody judge an entire defense that way? They are letting teams catch 64.7% of passes thrown at them which is 25th worst in the league. QBs have a 93.3 average QBR against them which is 21st in the league. They're the worst in the league at intercepting the ball with 3. They also give up the 27th most points in the league.

As much as I would like to think the Vikings passing offense had suddenly turned it around and beat up on the 2nd best pass defense in the league, that's just not the case.
:thumbsup: Exactly
mael·strom