Implications for the Vikings of the Cap going Up

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Implications for the Vikings of the Cap going Up

Post by Maelstrom88 »

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2016/12/12 ... ta-vikings

Good article from Daily Norse man about the cap questions for the Vikings this offseason. I personally hope Adrian restructures and can retire a Vikings. I'm not sure if I'm ready to commit a long term deal for Sam unless it was very modest in numbers for Sam. He had a great game yesterday but I'm not sold on him as far as a big extension yet. Floyd I'd be OK with letting go.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
SP1966
Franchise Player

Re: Implications for the Vikings of the Cap going Up

Post by SP1966 »

If I were Rick I'd thank AD for his years in Minnesota and wish him well, the same with Floyd. I would also look to extend Bradford at least two years beyond next and he would be the guy going into camp because he's simply better than Bridgewater. After than I would focus 99.9% on piecing together an offensive line.
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

SP1966 wrote:If I were Rick I'd thank AD for his years in Minnesota and wish him well, the same with Floyd. I would also look to extend Bradford at least two years beyond next and he would be the guy going into camp because he's simply better than Bridgewater. After than I would focus 99.9% on piecing together an offensive line.
One question I would have with this plan is what they will do for backup QB.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
SP1966
Franchise Player

Post by SP1966 »

PsyDanny wrote: One question I would have with this plan is what they will do for backup QB.
That depends mostly on Bridgewater's health, if he's expected to be ready to go then he and Heinecki fill out the position, if not they may have to look at brining in another option or bringing Hill back for a year. The thing is I don't believe any team can have quality depth at every position so you have to make choices on where you think you can cut a corner a little closer than you would prefer. This offseason has to be all about that line, the rest of the roster is ready to contend IMO.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

SP1966 wrote:If I were Rick I'd thank AD for his years in Minnesota and wish him well, the same with Floyd. I would also look to extend Bradford at least two years beyond next and he would be the guy going into camp because he's simply better than Bridgewater. After than I would focus 99.9% on piecing together an offensive line.
My problem with that us AD, even at his age, I'd still much better than the other runningbacks on the roster. So who replaces him?
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Maelstrom88 wrote: My problem with that us AD, even at his age, I'd still much better than the other running backs on the roster. So who replaces him?
Peterson has been able to come back strong from injury in the past but with age and one more injury you have to wonder how he'll look next year. If this is going to be a "run first" offense (which seems to be what Zimmer prefers to compliment his defense) we need another legitimate option at RB. Peterson's talent is worthless if he's not able to actually play in the game.
SP1966
Franchise Player

Post by SP1966 »

Maelstrom88 wrote: My problem with that us AD, even at his age, I'd still much better than the other runningbacks on the roster. So who replaces him?
AD was a great back, but he's very one dimensional. Give him the ball out of a deep I formation and let him run, assuming the line can open holes for him and he hasn't lost to much of his speed and burst. But when modern offenses are run so much out of the shotgun he's dead weight. He has never been good in that situation, never, and there is zero reason to think at his age that will change. As much as I'd love to keep the future HOF back his entire career this team is on the verge and cannot afford to do anything but that which gives them the best chance to win a championship.

Put a solid line in front of Bradford and they have the pieces to be a very good to great offense, which when combined with the defense gives them a legit shot at the SB. Keep on catering to a once great RB well past his prime and they will piss away their window of opportunity. No matter where he goes next year he will always be remembered as a Viking, that's good enough for me.As for RBs I honestly believe that with a good line they'd be good enough when you consider how explosive the passing game should be.

If they cut AD and Floyd they could have as much as $40-45M, that along with the draft should allow them to plug the holes in the line and win big!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Its time to face the music.

Cut Peterson, Let Floyd Walk, Trade Bradford for whatever you can get for him, and address OL and QB this offseason.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Maelstrom88 wrote: My problem with that us AD, even at his age, I'd still much better than the other runningbacks on the roster. So who replaces him?

not to rehash an old fight here. But prior to his injury AP was on about a 7-8 game run of mediocre play. Definitely due to the Oline to a certain degree, no doubt. But Asista Mck were not a big step down (arguably none at all). Assuming AP does come back for the finale and has a meh performance I think the Vikings are a in a pretty good position to drive a hard bargain or comfortably let him walk

-EDIT-
Hell, we always talk about AP calling the shots. I wouldn't be surprised if management is pushing for him to return for the last game just to get one more look at him before they deal in the off season.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

IrishViking wrote:
not to rehash an old fight here. But prior to his injury AP was on about a 7-8 game run of mediocre play. Definitely due to the Oline to a certain degree, no doubt. But Asista Mck were not a big step down (arguably none at all). Assuming AP does come back for the finale and has a meh performance I think the Vikings are a in a pretty good position to drive a hard bargain or comfortably let him walk

-EDIT-
Hell, we always talk about AP calling the shots. I wouldn't be surprised if management is pushing for him to return for the last game just to get one more look at him before they deal in the off season.
Asista and McKinnon are a huge step down to be honest. MS has zero vision and McKinnon is as light as a paper clip. As soon as he gets touched he goes down on that very blade of grass.

not saying AP stays but my gut tells me he restructures, which was always the plan, and he finishes up a Viking. Of course I'd bring in a young RB in the draft too.

The QB is in place now so build the line and hope Treadwell isn't a complete bust and I like what this team can be next year and for years to come.
AlldayPotter
Backup

Post by AlldayPotter »

It's nice he is back, wonder how much our offense will change now. Because peterson is amazing lined up 7 yards back, but completely sucks in shotgun. And last time I checked, that's mainly what we do now. Gotta feeling it's gonna mess up the flow unless we stay in pro style offense.....
They clearly will know it's a run when we have full back in with 2 TEs, and same with when he goes out and we are back in shotgun.
So it will be intreating to see if he helps us more than hurts us.... is bradford actually better in a pro style offense? Or has he always preferred shotgun??