If Teddy is 100%, who should be start @ QB next season?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Assuming Teddy is 100% and has a full offseason, who should start next season?

Teddy Bridgewater
22%
Sam Bradford
73%
Comedy Option (Spergon Wynn, John David Booty, Donovan McNabb)
4%

Total votes: 49

chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Re: If Teddy is 100%, who should be start @ QB next season?

Post by chicagopurple »

I have NO confidence in Spielman to invest in a quality candidate as a 3rd QB....he hasnt ever even made a good effort for 2nd stringers.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Still too soon for this IMO.

Bradford will require significant upgrades to pass protection in order for the team to get the most out of him. Bridgewater's elusiveness and mobility give the team more "cushion" in this department, so does his age. However, they need to upgrade the OL no matter who plays QB, so at least in the near term, ie 2017, that issue is non-starter. In 2018 it will be more interesting. Also, there is no guarantee that TB plays another down in the NFL. Given that he probably won't be 100% until sometime during the 2017 regular season, Bradford will likely continue to be the starter unless he lays an egg in 2017.

Another factor here is AP. If/when he leaves the roster will be a transition both in scheme as well as the type of personnel needed on the OL. I sense that the team knows this though. The OL performance isn't exactly a mystery to anyone.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

mansquatch wrote:Still too soon for this IMO.

Bradford will require significant upgrades to pass protection in order for the team to get the most out of him. Bridgewater's elusiveness and mobility give the team more "cushion" in this department, so does his age. However, they need to upgrade the OL no matter who plays QB, so at least in the near term, ie 2017, that issue is non-starter. In 2018 it will be more interesting. Also, there is no guarantee that TB plays another down in the NFL. Given that he probably won't be 100% until sometime during the 2017 regular season, Bradford will likely continue to be the starter unless he lays an egg in 2017.

Another factor here is AP. If/when he leaves the roster will be a transition both in scheme as well as the type of personnel needed on the OL. I sense that the team knows this though. The OL performance isn't exactly a mystery to anyone.
Your overvauluing Teddy's scrambling ability, imo, its pretty clear that Bradford's release, pocket presence, decision making and arm strength make him far better at dealing with pressure then Teddy.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
randomghost11
Rookie

Post by randomghost11 »

Doesn't matter and don't care. Who ever is put back there will be on their #### before anyone is open.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Yeah, none of this matters untill we have 4-5 NEW, talented bonafide NFL quality Offensive linemen and THAT is what what Spielman has not shown any ability to do.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

mansquatch wrote:Still too soon for this IMO.

Things that make you go hmmm....

Russell Wilson: 12 games, 404 atts, 264 comp, 65.3%, 3,142 yards, 12 tds, 5 ints, comp for 1st downs 144, sacked (mobile right?) 29, sack yards lost 226, rating 93.7, 50 rushes, 188 yards, 1 TD

Sam Bradford: 11 games, 393 atts, 280 comp, 71.2%, 2,662 yards, 13 tds, 3 ints, comp for 1st downs 133, sacked (immobile right?) 28, sack yards lost 204, rating 97.5, 13 rushes, 7 yards, 0 TD

Both have horrendous OL's, Vikings is worse of course and Seattle has a better run game in Rawls/Prociese and the stability at wr with Baldwin and Kearse + Graham give Wilson better weapons too.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

RFIP wrote: Things that make you go hmmm....

Russell Wilson: 12 games, 404 atts, 264 comp, 65.3%, 3,142 yards, 12 tds, 5 ints, comp for 1st downs 144, sacked (mobile right?) 29, sack yards lost 226, rating 93.7, 50 rushes, 188 yards, 1 TD

Sam Bradford: 11 games, 393 atts, 280 comp, 71.2%, 2,662 yards, 13 tds, 3 ints, comp for 1st downs 133, sacked (immobile right?) 28, sack yards lost 204, rating 97.5, 13 rushes, 7 yards, 0 TD

Both have horrendous OL's, Vikings is worse of course and Seattle has a better run game in Rawls/Prociese and the stability at wr with Baldwin and Kearse + Graham give Wilson better weapons too.
Intrestering thanks for sharing!
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

RFIP wrote: Things that make you go hmmm....

Post of the Week. Good stuff, and really surprising.

I think Bradford has been really solid, especially given the state of the O-line. He's a quick decision maker, which is a MUST with TJ & the Four Flops protecting him. TB, who has displayed an annoying tendency to hang on to the ball for too long, might have gotten killed by now.

My vote goes to Sam.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I voted Teddy for the poll's sake just to throw him some love lol.

But the only clear choice is to let both guys battle it out throughout the offseason, training camp, and preseason. Sam will obviously have a huge leg up and it would be a major upset if he lost the starting job.

I want to see what happens with Sam's cap number. 17 million is a TON of money to pay a guy who could (but more than likely won't) be a backup.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I want to see what happens with Sam's cap number. 17 million is a TON of money to pay a guy who could (but more than likely won't) be a backup.
I don't expect it to go down. What leverage do the Vikings have? Especially if Bridgewater can't come back.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Cliff wrote: I don't expect it to go down. What leverage do the Vikings have? Especially if Bridgewater can't come back.
The way to bring it down would be to extend the deal.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

Mothman wrote: The way to bring it down would be to extend the deal.
Correct but he's not extending with being "the guy" FOR SURE.

This is all a mute point since they have to decide if they are going to pick up Teddy's 5th year option in the spring. If they do (I don't think they will) Sam won't be extending.

If they settle on Sam however then I think a long term deal will easily get done. I believe he really likes playing in MN and for Zim.

Improve the OL, figure out who the RB will be and lets go!
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

everyone forgets that Teddys ability to scramble only led to -
A. short dink and dunk passes (which Bradford can do)
B. throwing it out of bounds, which SEEMED like a great improvement after watching ponder et al throw INTS (which Bradford can do)
C. LOTS of blown down field opportunities

He was very much a guy that we spent a few years holding our breath and hoping for a big forward step in development. We are still waiting. Making him sit on the bench while Bradford starts MIGHT light a fire under the "nice guy" which is exactly what is needed.
YikesVikes
All Pro Elite Player

Post by YikesVikes »

chicagopurple wrote:everyone forgets that Teddys ability to scramble only led to -
A. short dink and dunk passes (which Bradford can do)
B. throwing it out of bounds, which SEEMED like a great improvement after watching ponder et al throw INTS (which Bradford can do)
C. LOTS of blown down field opportunities

He was very much a guy that we spent a few years holding our breath and hoping for a big forward step in development. We are still waiting. Making him sit on the bench while Bradford starts MIGHT light a fire under the "nice guy" which is exactly what is needed.
With our Oline we need a mobile QB. Teddy on the run was great.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

YikesVikes wrote: With our Oline we need a mobile QB. Teddy on the run was great.
No he wasnt. He was ok, not even close to great.

There is more to overcoming poor ol play then speed, Bradford is a superior option in that regard due to his better decision making, pocket presence, and arm strength/release.

Bridge with this o line would have surely taken more sacks then Bradford, especially with his tendancy to hold onto the ball too long.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011