Rick Spielman, what should the Vikes do with him

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Rick Spielman, what should the Vikes do with him

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Rick Spielman, should he stay or should he go? (BTW, what happened to the poll option here?).

Please explain why you think what you think. Whats he done good, or bad, or not at all save take home a big pay check (like the other teams hes been on).

Please keep it civil. I will give my thoughts as the thread develops, but for those who could guess, I think he should go.
AlldayPotter
Backup

Re: Rick Spielman, what should the Vikes do with him

Post by AlldayPotter »

Keep him of course. Can't blame him for makING a move for bradford. Yes we OVERPAID for him, but every other team was asking for much much more. Can't blame him for this season with all these injuries, even our coach is out. The only thing he did that was questionable was sign jarius wright to a big contract. And to early for the Treadwell pick.

On another note, spielman should go after lions Jim-bob cooterm and hire him for our Offensive Coordinator.
joe h
Veteran

Post by joe h »

I've wanted him gone since chilly got the boot. He built an above average defense, thanks to zimmer and Frazier's input. However, the state of the offensive line, lack of a game day ready backup qb, competent punter, and continuing with a shell shocked place kicker, is on him. Wasting a first rounder on Bradford has proven to be a mistake. He should have given Peterson the boot, not restructure his contract. And he had 5 years to fix that line and has done nothing. But he has his apologists, and ziggy snowed, so I doubt anything changes this off season.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Rick Spielman, should he stay or should he go? (BTW, what happened to the poll option here?).

Please explain why you think what you think. Whats he done good, or bad, or not at all save take home a big pay check (like the other teams hes been on).

Please keep it civil. I will give my thoughts as the thread develops, but for those who could guess, I think he should go.
Keep him obviously.

He secured the QB of the future, one that you can win a SB with provided they make OL priority 1, 2 and 3 next off season. He had a very tight window with which to act and he pulled the trigger on a deal that would have paid off big this year had it not been for horrendous injury luck, but it will pay off next year and for many years to follow.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

I would keep him for now, but only with the expectation that he fix the offense as quickly as he and Zimmer built the defense. The Vikings have talent on offense EXCEPT FOR the OL. If he needs to trade someone like Wright or even Treadwell to get a decent guard then so be it.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

My posts are so terrible. I never get across what I am trying too, and I dont even know what I am saying. Going to have to do some proofread because this and the few other posts ive made over the last week, are very close to my my heart.

Basically Rick has forgotten all important things, except D. Was that their plan? If so, Its not that great of a D. Its darn good but NO D can play when they are on the field most on the time.

We have let the ST (cept CP84 and he was the bench warmer?) and O go so far away, by the time we get to them, the D will all need to be paying and contracted again. And AD is not the answer. The OL is. There's just so many problems though, and when I listen to Rick, and lately Zim, I kind of get a sick spot in my stomach. Like the Browns must be used to. We started out good, but poof, it all went away.
Dmizzle0
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dmizzle0 »

PurpleKoolaid wrote: We started out good, but poof, it all went away.
Mainly because of key injuries.
Muqali
Practice Squad

Post by Muqali »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:My posts are so terrible. I never get across what I am trying too, and I dont even know what I am saying. Going to have to do some proofread because this and the few other posts ive made over the last week, are very close to my my heart.

Basically Rick has forgotten all important things, except D. Was that their plan? If so, Its not that great of a D. Its darn good but NO D can play when they are on the field most on the time.

We have let the ST (cept CP84 and he was the bench warmer?) and O go so far away, by the time we get to them, the D will all need to be paying and contracted again. And AD is not the answer. The OL is. There's just so many problems though, and when I listen to Rick, and lately Zim, I kind of get a sick spot in my stomach. Like the Browns must be used to. We started out good, but poof, it all went away.
No. I don't think so. GMs makes decisions with very limited knowledge. The fact that he has such low turnover is a sign that he is doing a good job. I don't think you should take his responsibilities much farther than that.

I don't think our offense is that many pieces away from being above average. It WAS above average until the OL disintegrated.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Muqali wrote: No. I don't think so. GMs makes decisions with very limited knowledge. The fact that he has such low turnover is a sign that he is doing a good job. I don't think you should take his responsibilities much farther than that.

I don't think our offense is that many pieces away from being above average. It WAS above average until the OL disintegrated.
I agree but they NEED to address that this off-season. It has been an issue for a long time and has gotten worse thi season. I also wouldn't be opposed to a new WR coach who can teach them how to get separation.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

He'll stick around even though he doesn't deserve to. It's because of Rick Spielman that we are in this situation this year - we deserve to be in it as well.

Next year is going to be more of the same. I don't see where the quick fixes for the offensive line will be - especially with no first round draft pick.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Rick Spielman, should he stay or should he go? (BTW, what happened to the poll option here?).
It's still available. If you hit the edit button to edit your post and then scroll down, you should see it and you should be able to add a poll.

I can add the poll for you if you'd prefer that. Just let me know if you'd like it to to have 2 options ("Stay" or "Go") or if you want something more than that.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

I've made my position on Spielman clear in recent weeks. I don't think he's the right GM to build a Super Bowl champion in Minnesota and consequently, I think the Vikes need to find a new GM.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

PurpleMustReign wrote:I would keep him for now, but only with the expectation that he fix the offense as quickly as he and Zimmer built the defense. The Vikings have talent on offense EXCEPT FOR the OL. If he needs to trade someone like Wright or even Treadwell to get a decent guard then so be it.
Totally agree with your post.....I would also add Pruitt as possible trade bait.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

1.)We have no OL
2.)We have 2 QBs that are questionable..Teddy, who has no downfield ability, and is best valued for being a "good guy" and more likely to throw out of bounds rather then INTS...yawn
AND Bradford who can dink and dunk all day but hasnt been able to show anything meaningful in the red zone or deep.......again, all this is clouded by the UTTER and Complete lack of an OL.
3.) We have lost the opportunity to part ways with AP while he still had trade value. The best RB is our lifetime has been wasted by Spielmans inability to form a winning team around him...That train has left the station. A HUGE waste.
4.) In his entire tenure Spielman has never found a QB coach to actually IMPROVE any of our QB prospects....ever.....
5.) We have had no OL....an no hope of having one other then building from scratch...this late in Spielmans tenure.

time to move on.....we need the Theo Epstein of the NFL...not Spielman. He had his chance and has done nothing.
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Fire Spielman when you're ready to revamp the coaching staff, I think. When you're ready to break the team down and start rebuilding is when you fire Spielman. To me, Zimmer was his "last chance". He put his stamp on everything about this team, at this point, from the coaches down. Many players on the team were drafted specifically for Zimmer's schemes that they both picked out.

I think he should see this coaching staff through until the end and if they can't have success he needs to go.