from number 1 in power rankings week 5 to this?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

from number 1 in power rankings week 5 to this?

Post by mosscarter »

I can't speak for everyone, but I think this season has been a total disaster and I don't see how we are in any financial position to make major changes this off season. My question to everyone is, how can we possibly go from that great to this bad basically overnight ? It has been like a Tiger Woods fall off. I understand we have injuries; many teams do but was our offensive line really any good in the first place healthy?

I realize we will get some guys back on the line next season, but most of our line needs replaced and you can't do that in one off season. As soon as Peterson hears the word "pay" and "cut" my guess is he'll be gone. I don't think he will take one, and he has a ton of leverage because look at our running game without him. With that said, how will we make any significant free agent signings and how will we keep Patterson? I think he will be gone too, and if he goes I can surely see him having success elsewhere. I think there are bigger systemic problems than people are discussing.

In his rookie year, Patterson proved he can be a receiver and as far as I recall, when they did throw to him this year, he made some really nice plays. On the surface it looks like Treadwell is a certain bust, but are they actually targeting him? They threw at him once the last game as far as I can remember. Not only is our offense just plain bad, but our offensive philosophy is way worse. This offense really hasn't improved a single bit after Norv left, and I understand we are limited by our line, but I don't think Johnson belongs in any starting lineup. I'm highly concerned going into this off season.
losperros
Commissioner

Re: from number 1 in power rankings week 5 to this?

Post by losperros »

I agree about the offensive line. The OL wasn't anything to brag about even when it was healthy. It needs to be completely rebuilt.

There are others on the board who understand the financial cap way more than I do. I hope they'll chime in and explain what they think the Vikings can or cannot afford to do.

As for the offensive philosophy, I was unimpressed with Norv Turner's stubbornness and don't miss him. That said, I'm still questioning the conservative dink and dunk stuff (though admittedly the porous OL has something to do with it) and I think some of the personnel decisions are certainly questionable as well.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

losperros wrote:I agree about the offensive line. The OL wasn't anything to brag about even when it was healthy. It needs to be completely rebuilt.

There are others on the board who understand the financial cap way more than I do. I hope they'll chime in and explain what they think the Vikings can or cannot afford to do.

As for the offensive philosophy, I was unimpressed with Norv Turner's stubbornness and don't miss him. That said, I'm still questioning the conservative dink and dunk stuff (though admittedly the porous OL has something to do with it) and I think some of the personnel decisions are certainly questionable as well.
I didnt care for Norv even when he was announced as OC. But on the other side of the coin, he has NOTHING to work with on the Oline. Couldnt run OR let a play that took more then .5 seconds to develop. And then we get a QB (who I like) but is a statue, and cant get the ball out of his hand before it swatted away about the same time its in his hands.
purpletinted66
Starter

Post by purpletinted66 »

i bet yous guys already knew the vikes are still ranked no.1 as in...

Ranking NFL teams most affected by injuries

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post ... y-injuries

with no.2 ranked as the g.b.p.'s and no.3 are the c.b.'s, the black and blue division is black and blue
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Every team has injuries and work they way around them. Maybe they need a strength and conditioning coach a little better at his job. At least one where the players aernt getting hurt without contact being made.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

the injuries are not unusual. They just unmasked how very thin the veneer of talent was on our team. We had NO back up QB. Our OL was horribly staffed for starters and backups were little better then guys of the street.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Want to build a good Offensive line? Start by Dealing Peterson away for draft picks
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Laserman wrote:Want to build a good Offensive line? Start by Dealing Peterson away for draft picks
Is that possible? I thought AD was free to go after this year. Am I wrong about that?
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Its too late.....he is older, running on 2 rebuilt knees and now has meniscal tears. HE will NOT be our version of Herschel Walker.....Spielman held onto him way too long.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote: Is that possible? I thought AD was free to go after this year. Am I wrong about that?

He's under contract through next year but his base salary escalates to $11,750,000 and he's due a roster bonus of $6 million in March, making his cap hit $18 million. In other words, he's probably untradeable and it's practically a slam dunk that he won't be back under his current deal.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

losperros wrote: Is that possible? I thought AD was free to go after this year. Am I wrong about that?
No it isn't and it is a stupid idea too.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

chicagopurple wrote:the injuries are not unusual.
So it's normal for teams to lose damn near their entire offensive line, starting qb and starting rb?
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

the same has happened to many teams this year.
its not a good thing obviously but you need to take a hard look at who we lost...
the OL starters were all poor lot to start with. Undersized, chronic injuries for yrs, and bad draft picks.
Teddy wasnt lighting up the league and in fact, could be argued to have regressed in his second year.
And AP wasnt running for any good yards behind our awefull OL.
The problems run far deeper then the injuries.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

chicago purple is right to totally express his pessimism; we are all sick of this crap year after year. it's a mess regardless. our defense looks good on paper, but gave up horrific drives twice to detroit who will likely win this division now. how is that a GREAT defense? this team is a train wreck as usual. i'm done watching for sure, and soon i'm done posting it's futile. our offense is a disgrace to football on every level.