The Legacy of 2016

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: The Legacy of 2016

Post by Texas Vike »

Here's the NYT article on Newman that I referenced above:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/30/sport ... pan-region

Really good in-depth read, here's a clip:
Newman remains an incredible athlete. But as his speed, power and quickness have deteriorated, he has relied ever more on his cognitive skills. His capacity for decoding opponents’ tendencies through film study has mitigated his physiological decline. His aptitude for processing those tidbits and applying them on the field has preserved his livelihood.
Nice to read about the younger guys soaking up his knowledge too. His deciphering opponents' body language is fascinating:
Teammates like Mario Edwards, Roy Williams and Darren Woodson mentored him, helping Newman expand his scope to focus on nuances like body language. He recognized that a team would run every time a receiver kept his hands on his knees, and he learned to eliminate certain routes if a receiver aligned with his outside foot up rather than his inside foot.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Raptorman wrote: Not true. The Lions would need to lose 3 for the Vikings to take the division. Depending on what other teams do, the Vikings could still make the playoffs at 9-7. For that matter, it's still possible for the North to send 3 teams to the playoffs. What the Lions do has no bearing on the Vikings making the playoffs at this point.
No bearing? That is a massive exaggeration. The division is the most likely path to the playoffs for all the NFCN teams.

It is very unlikely imo, that the Giants lose a wildcard spot entirely, and also unlikely that the last wildcard spot is filled by a team with more losses then 6. I suppose if you won out and still had the Lions in front of you for rhe division you could get the last wildcard spot depending on tiebreakers, but I think any NFCN team with a record good enough for the wildcard is going to have a record good enough for the division.

Mathematically possible? Yea, but not very likely, the wildcard race is rather congested.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

Should be an exciting offseason.....Lots of decisions (not in order of importance, just in order that I thought of them :v): )
1. the big question...what will they do with AD and his massive contract?
Let's restructure with incentives and play the hardball game. Look do you want to win a SB or not ?? If so, we need this money to improve OL and open lanes to run through but also to protect our QB. If you want your cash, prove it with this incentive laden contract or leave !
2. hopefully they try to keep CPatt. He is valuable in multiple ST roles, is a nice gimmick on offense, and has improved as a WR
Have To keep CP imo. Playmaker who's improving and probably most dangerous returner in the game.
3. Will they extend Bradford??
He's signed for next year, but maybe try to restructure a more team and cap friendly deal if they think that he's a franchise guy. Otherwise draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th to develop and compete. Becoming a very good backup type.
4. Finally cut ties with Kalil or try to sign him to a new contract (hopefully backup LT $ if they do)
I think he's done. He's gotten a lot of $$$. He may want to keep playing and collecting cash, but he may value being able to walk when he's 40. I'd offer backup $$$. Maybe he can get healthy?
5. Newman and Captain? How comfortable are the Vikings with Trae and Alexander as #2 and #3?
Any thought of Newman moving to Safety? He should be able to dictate what he wants to do. Players at end of their careers normally value winning over anything !
6. What will they do to try to fix this OL? Big splash in FA? Draft 5 OL? or sign a couple of old retreads and see if it works??
I like Sirles and Easton right now as they get reps. Add Boone and we have 3/5 of the line. Harris? I would use the restructured savings and go get a LT and a RG. Hard to trust what we currently have. I would target at least 1 OT and 1 OG in the draft also.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

TexasVike and IISweet - I agree with your responses.

this is a huge offseason - Rick needs to do things right or next year could be a total mess. If he makes smart and prudent decisions, maybe we can be contenders next year. Lots of work to do though.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Has there ever been a team that has finished under 500 with the nfl's top scoring defense? It is entirely possible this year.....
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

VikingPaul73 wrote:Trae shows flashes, but also still gets burned a lot and is clearly a step down from Newman. And Alexander has potential but that doesn't always translate to success in the NFL. The can potentially lose A LOT of experience and depth in the secondary. We will see what happens.
Solid take, but I have to take exception on the Trae Waynes comments.

I simply disagree that he's been burned. He's taken some penalties, especially early in the year, but he was the best DB on the field against Arizona, and that included Patrick Peterson, at least for that game. Newman got nicked up that game, and Waynes played the entire second half and shut them down. The guy is long, athletic. fast, and jet quick. Biggest thing to me ... he competes. The guy will not give an inch, even if he's been flagged. He's getting some penalties called, but that's not getting burned. To me, getting burned is where the other team picks on you and just keeps completing pass after pass and demoralizing you. Waynes hasn't given up much of anything to anybody. Teams have gone after him, and except for a few penalties, they've come away disappointed.

Let's remember ... the guy Dez Bryant just called "a helluva football player," Xavier Rhodes, also took a lot of penalties early in his career. Now in his fourth year, he's become one of the true shutdown corners in the league. Trae Waynes has every bit as much potential.

That being said ... we certainly will miss the experience that Newman and Munnerlyn bring to the table, should either or both of them not be with the team next year. But we have to be ready for it. Newman is 38. There comes a point where your body just can't do it anymore.

Alexander? Haven't seen enough to make a real determination. He's obviously got some talent, but he's really played like a rookie when he's been in there. Hopefully another year with Zimmer will bring him along.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Solid take, but I have to take exception on the Trae Waynes comments.

I simply disagree that he's been burned. He's taken some penalties, especially early in the year, but he was the best DB on the field against Arizona, and that included Patrick Peterson, at least for that game. Newman got nicked up that game, and Waynes played the entire second half and shut them down. The guy is long, athletic. fast, and jet quick. Biggest thing to me ... he competes. The guy will not give an inch, even if he's been flagged. He's getting some penalties called, but that's not getting burned. To me, getting burned is where the other team picks on you and just keeps completing pass after pass and demoralizing you. Waynes hasn't given up much of anything to anybody. Teams have gone after him, and except for a few penalties, they've come away disappointed.

Let's remember ... the guy Dez Bryant just called "a helluva football player," Xavier Rhodes, also took a lot of penalties early in his career. Now in his fourth year, he's become one of the true shutdown corners in the league. Trae Waynes has every bit as much potential.

That being said ... we certainly will miss the experience that Newman and Munnerlyn bring to the table, should either or both of them not be with the team next year. But we have to be ready for it. Newman is 38. There comes a point where your body just can't do it anymore.

Alexander? Haven't seen enough to make a real determination. He's obviously got some talent, but he's really played like a rookie when he's been in there. Hopefully another year with Zimmer will bring him along.
Give that article from the NYT on Newman a read. It's terrific. From it, I got the impression that he may very well play one more year.
purpletinted66
Starter

Post by purpletinted66 »

we've had our taste of would've could've should've minus the philly and chicago blowouts. getting AP back 100% along with a 4 game win streak and we could wind up with the hot hand going postseason, where nobody in the league seems to be head and shoulders over anybody else.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Aernt most of you puking your guts out to moral victories. God, for once to come out strong in in Nov, Dec, and Jan.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Solid take, but I have to take exception on the Trae Waynes comments.

Maybe I am being too pessimistic about Trae. I hope you are right. But I also hope they keep Newman and Munny at least 1 more year as depth if nothing else....and potentially starters if Trae and Mack don't work out or still aren't ready.
germannorseman
Backup

Post by germannorseman »

At this point I'm going to say it was the season that should've been. Very disappointing.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

VikingPaul73 wrote:
Maybe I am being too pessimistic about Trae. I hope you are right. But I also hope they keep Newman and Munny at least 1 more year as depth if nothing else....and potentially starters if Trae and Mack don't work out or still aren't ready.

Trust me....Trae will work out. No worries there. I think we are forced to keep Captain for at least another year to groom Alexander.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

autobon7 wrote:
Trust me....Trae will work out. No worries there. I think we are forced to keep Captain for at least another year to groom Alexander.
I think losing Trae Waynes would be a huge mistake for the Vikings. Seems to me the kid is really coming along and learning his craft in one of the most difficult positions in the NFL. Keep him!

I like Rhodes and Captain a lot as well. In fact, I don't think CB is any kind of problem for the Vikings right now.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Slot CB is a hard position to play, we should undervalue what Munnerlyn brings to the table at that position.

Next year is a bit of a unicorn for me. I think the OL has potential to be better within itself if it can stay healthy, but can it be that much better? I'm not sure. Jake Long was coming along before his Achilles blew up, so we potentially could bring back three guys at OT that are superior to the guys starting now. Boone should be better next year just via time with his guys. Fusco is questionable, what happens with Harris, and what about Center? Let of questions here. Lots.

Given the state of college OL and the low probability of finding day one starters it seems like we will see changes in OL through FA only, otherwise we'll see guys hopefully develop further. I know that is not what everyone want to hear, but it is the reality of the NFL.

Of course, I think there is a real possibilty that we see a new OC. Shurmer is the Interim OC, which means they have yet to designate a full time Coordinator. How that shakes out could impact a lot of personnel.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

the disturbing thing is that we dont seem to have the scouts/developmental coaches to groom guys like Waynes, CP, etc ...the talent is drafted then just fizzles.