The Legacy of 2016

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

TSonn
Career Elite Player

The Legacy of 2016

Post by TSonn »

OK, a little positivity here. The 2016 season has been a wild ride. Not many people pegged us for our 5-0 start and then not many saw 1-6 following the hot start. I think 2016 goes down on it's own as a disappointment but I think there are some positives:

- 2016 forced us to upgrade our QB position. We now have 2 starting caliber QBs on the roster and they are both under 30 years old.
- 2016 will hopefully make Spielman and Co to think about how to improve the offensive line differently in the offseason. Hopefully we spend higher draft picks and good free agency money to upgrade the offensive line.
- 2016 showed us we have a few fringe stars on the team: Diggs, Rhodes, Smith.
- 2016 will be helpful in getting big name free agents to join the team after seeing our 5-0 start and the culture that Coach Zimmer has installed.
- 2016 also showed us that our defense can be the best in the league and hopefully next year they will be more consistently dominant.

Anyone else have things to add to the positives coming out of the 2016 season so far?
losperros
Commissioner

Re: The Legacy of 2016

Post by losperros »

I'm going to wait until the end of the season to make any judgements on this year.

The Vikings have been a weird team. Anything could happen between now and their final game of the season.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

It's been real...

We are .500 (6-6) with 4 games left to play. Generically speaking, very few teams who get 10 wins fail to make the playoffs. I know that is not a "hard, fast, rule," but I choose to believe that is a pretty accurate gauge for playoff contention. IOW, I believe the Vikings need to "win out" to have a realist chance at post season play. I believe we have a defense capable of winning any game and an offense (ive Line) capable of losing any game. 4-0 for the remainder of the season would be a tall order, indeed. Assuming we pull that off, it means that we have to remain undefeated (on the road) for the rest of the (post)season.

While I won't say that *can't* happen, I feel pretty comfortable saying that I'm not going to *bet* that it will happen...
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

I would say more than a few stars. Joseph and Hunter as well.

Hey it's a lost season. So be it. Some on here seem like it's '09-'10 and act like we are doomed for the future.

We have to remember, we lose next to nobody on this defense next year. Literally nobody outside of Greenway which is easily replaceable and we probably already have the replacement in Lamur.

I have zero problem investing the first 3-4 maybe even 5 picks soley on offense. I know Zimmer wont like that but the way I look at it is, not only do we have a super bowl caliber defense, but we could very well have the DEEPEST defense in all of football. This team isnt just going to deteriorate like 09-10 did. We are still very young and dont have anyone leaving anytime soon
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I would say more than a few stars. Joseph and Hunter as well.

Hey it's a lost season. So be it. Some on here seem like it's '09-'10 and act like we are doomed for the future.

We have to remember, we lose next to nobody on this defense next year. Literally nobody outside of Greenway which is easily replaceable and we probably already have the replacement in Lamur.

I have zero problem investing the first 3-4 maybe even 5 picks soley on offense. I know Zimmer wont like that but the way I look at it is, not only do we have a super bowl caliber defense, but we could very well have the DEEPEST defense in all of football. This team isnt just going to deteriorate like 09-10 did. We are still very young and dont have anyone leaving anytime soon
I agree. Hunter looks like a stud to me. I think if they can improve the offensive line next year will be much better.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

As a one word headline:

PILLAGED!!
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

Maelstrom88 wrote: I agree. Hunter looks like a stud to me. I think if they can improve the offensive line next year will be much better.

i agree with you guys on the trend of the defense...i'd say they have hump to get over yet to become 'elite' or outright dominant, but I see it happening.

And Hunter was a huge boon for this team.....great pick and development. They sure know what they're doing on the D-line IMO.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:I would say more than a few stars. Joseph and Hunter as well.

We have to remember, we lose next to nobody on this defense next year.
Actually, they could potentially lose a rather key player on defense: Terence Newman. It depends on what they choose to do and what he chooses to do but that's a loss that could have some impact. i still think they'd have a good defense though.
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

TSonn wrote:OK, a little positivity here. The 2016 season has been a wild ride. Not many people pegged us for our 5-0 start and then not many saw 1-6 following the hot start. I think 2016 goes down on it's own as a disappointment but I think there are some positives:

- 2016 forced us to upgrade our QB position. We now have 2 starting caliber QBs on the roster and they are both under 30 years old.
- 2016 will hopefully make Spielman and Co to think about how to improve the offensive line differently in the offseason. Hopefully we spend higher draft picks and good free agency money to upgrade the offensive line.
- 2016 showed us we have a few fringe stars on the team: Diggs, Rhodes, Smith.
- 2016 will be helpful in getting big name free agents to join the team after seeing our 5-0 start and the culture that Coach Zimmer has installed.
- 2016 also showed us that our defense can be the best in the league and hopefully next year they will be more consistently dominant.

Anyone else have things to add to the positives coming out of the 2016 season so far?

Not as out of it as it might seem, imo.

The Vikings played the Lions and Boys very well, the Lions need to lose 3 of their last 5 for the Vikes to make the playoffs. (If they win out that is.)

I guess I think the biggest positive thus far is that the Lions play NO, NY, DAL all on the road and then GB at home.

Oh, and you upgraded your starting QB.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
720pete
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by 720pete »

Please keep Bradford for next year.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Jordysghost wrote:

Not as out of it as it might seem, imo.

The Vikings played the Lions and Boys very well, the Lions need to lose 3 of their last 5 for the Vikes to make the playoffs. (If they win out that is.)

I guess I think the biggest positive thus far is that the Lions play NO, NY, DAL all on the road and then GB at home.

Oh, and you upgraded your starting QB.
Not true. The Lions would need to lose 3 for the Vikings to take the division. Depending on what other teams do, the Vikings could still make the playoffs at 9-7. For that matter, it's still possible for the North to send 3 teams to the playoffs. What the Lions do has no bearing on the Vikings making the playoffs at this point.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Mothman wrote: Actually, they could potentially lose a rather key player on defense: Terence Newman. It depends on what they choose to do and what he chooses to do but that's a loss that could have some impact. i still think they'd have a good defense though.
Beat me to it.
Not to mention Captain who isn't great, but at least serviceable in the slot.

Trae shows flashes, but also still gets burned a lot and is clearly a step down from Newman. And Alexander has potential but that doesn't always translate to success in the NFL. The can potentially lose A LOT of experience and depth in the secondary. We will see what happens.

Hopefully Floyd actually plays next year, but we will see. I do like their DL a lot but how many more years can they keep it together? Hunter is very young, Floyd is young but never plays, Griffen will be 29 next year, Robison 34, Johnson 33, and Joseph 29. Stephen is nice depth. Can this unit stay dominant long enough for the offense to get its act together?

OL is a disaster but Sirles and Easton show a glimmer of hope. Hopefully they can use these last 4 games to gain experience and improve and be at least serviceable next year. They still need a massive overhaul of their OL and I'm not sure they can do this in the window that the defense will be good.

Should be an exciting offseason.....Lots of decisions (not in order of importance, just in order that I thought of them :v): )
1. the big question...what will they do with AD and his massive contract?
2. hopefully they try to keep CPatt. He is valuable in multiple ST roles, is a nice gimmick on offense, and has improved as a WR
3. Will they extend Bradford??
4. Finally cut ties with Kalil or try to sign him to a new contract (hopefully backup LT $ if they do)
5. Newman and Captain? How comfortable are the Vikings with Trae and Alexander as #2 and #3?
6. What will they do to try to fix this OL? Big splash in FA? Draft 5 OL? or sign a couple of old retreads and see if it works??
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

720pete wrote:Please keep Bradford for next year.
Isn't he signed through next year?
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

VikingPaul73 wrote: Beat me to it.
Not to mention Captain who isn't great, but at least serviceable in the slot.

Trae shows flashes, but also still gets burned a lot and is clearly a step down from Newman. And Alexander has potential but that doesn't always translate to success in the NFL. The can potentially lose A LOT of experience and depth in the secondary. We will see what happens.

Hopefully Floyd actually plays next year, but we will see. I do like their DL a lot but how many more years can they keep it together? Hunter is very young, Floyd is young but never plays, Griffen will be 29 next year, Robison 34, Johnson 33, and Joseph 29. Stephen is nice depth. Can this unit stay dominant long enough for the offense to get its act together?

OL is a disaster but Sirles and Easton show a glimmer of hope. Hopefully they can use these last 4 games to gain experience and improve and be at least serviceable next year. They still need a massive overhaul of their OL and I'm not sure they can do this in the window that the defense will be good.

Should be an exciting offseason.....Lots of decisions (not in order of importance, just in order that I thought of them :v): )
1. the big question...what will they do with AD and his massive contract?
2. hopefully they try to keep CPatt. He is valuable in multiple ST roles, is a nice gimmick on offense, and has improved as a WR
3. Will they extend Bradford??
4. Finally cut ties with Kalil or try to sign him to a new contract (hopefully backup LT $ if they do)
5. Newman and Captain? How comfortable are the Vikings with Trae and Alexander as #2 and #3?
6. What will they do to try to fix this OL? Big splash in FA? Draft 5 OL? or sign a couple of old retreads and see if it works??
Solid post.

I agree about this off season being an interesting one for us to play couch GMs--lots of decisions that will shape next season's team. I'll try to answer your Qs:
1) I really hope they can reach an agreement with AD that is incentives heavy. I think that is going to be the best strategy with him, a guy who thinks he can do anything? Well let's use that belief in negotiations with him!
2) Super important to keep Patterson, IMO. He's shown a genuine fire this year and his arc is heading in the right direction.
3) I think they have to extend Sam. The only way they wouldn't is if they feel strongly that Teddy is going to make a 100% recovery and are certain that he is our QB moving forward. Even then it might behoove us to have Sam under contract, so we don't lose him as a FA and instead can trade him.
4) This is a tough one--my gut says that Kalil's career is done, so I kind of hope they just move on, but our OL situation is SO bad that having him in the mix, at least as a backup, is probably the most prudent move. The question is will he accept backup money or is he going to seek starter role and money elsewhere?
5) I've been surprised by both Newman and Captain's performance this year. I thought we'd see more of a transition to Tre and Alexander. There's a piece in the NYT on Newman and how at 38 his body is a step slower so he uses his mind to compensate--guessing routes, etc.
6) this is the point we're all holding our breath on. Without a first round pick, but with two 3s and two 4s we can bring in some talent from the draft. I hope they can acquire a LT via free agency.
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

losperros wrote: Isn't he signed through next year?
Yes.
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.