Cowboys @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 13

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

RFIP
Veteran

Re: Cowboys @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 13

Post by RFIP »

Arkaign wrote:Found another one :

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-high ... highlights

It's on the same play as the missed hands to the face, a pretty blatant false start on the left tackle goes uncalled. Refs just sat on their hands the entire play, maybe they felt bad for screwing up almost the entire game by that point.

7:47-7:48 timeframe in the linked video clear as day.
Yeah I saw that when it happened. Very close and probably a false start on Clemmings (no surprise).

And even if the blow to the head was called as it should have been it would have meant another try from the 3 1/2, still a yard and a half further back than a regular 2 point conversion and with the Vikings offense certainly no more than a 30-40% chance at success at best.

The call was missed which robbed us of a "chance" to tie it up but the fumbled punt before Dez TD and the drop by Rudolph in the EZ where plays that we killed ourself with that ultimately cost us the game.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Yeah the play where Bradford took a shot to the ribs
The Dallas player led with his helmet and speared
Bradford in the side...no call
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Well, why not? Everybody else is hurt.

If they were still playing the Metrodome, I'd expect the roof to collapse again before the season ends.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Nunin wrote:tough loss.
vikes have a solid team other than the weak link at the critical place.
-
however, i liked the way sam nutted up and moved around. it probably had to do with dallas having a crap pass rush.
but where has this effort been?
he calls the coaches out and the offense looks like a pro offense(almost)...but before that? holy crap!
what's going on in the heads of this coaching staff on offense?
Good question. On top of strategy and playcalling, they make personnel choices in important situations that leave me baffled. For example, on the third down play where Treadwell badly mis-ran his route and didn't turn back for the pass once he went beyond the first down marker, why the heck was Treadwell in the game and targeted on such a crucial play in scoring territory?! He's a rookie who has barey been on the field all year so why bring him in and count on him in that situation when there are at least 4 other receivers on the roster more likely to run that route correctly and make the play? It was foolish.

They made a similarly boneheaded personnel decision when in scoring position against the Eagles, bringing rusty, just-signed Jake Long in to play left tackle. He promptly gave up a sack, screwing up the drive.

These are costly errors in judgment by the coaching staff. They're self-destructive choices that hurt just as much as the inevitable drive-killing penalties the offense manages 3 or 4 times a game.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: Good question. On top of strategy and playcalling, they make personnel choices in important situations that leave me baffled. For example, on the third down play where Treadwell badly mis-ran his route and didn't turn back for the pass once he went beyond the first down marker, why the heck was Treadwell in the game and targeted on such a crucial play in scoring territory?! He's a rookie who has barey been on the field all year so why bring him in and count on him in that situation when there are at least 4 other receivers on the roster more likely to run that route correctly and make the play? It was foolish.

They made a similarly boneheaded personnel decision when in scoring position against the Eagles, bringing rusty, just-signed Jake Long in to play left tackle. He promptly gave up a sack, screwing up the drive.

These are costly errors in judgment by the coaching staff. They're self-destructive choices that hurt just as much as the inevitable drive-killing penalties the offense manages 3 or 4 times a game.

Just to add another example to this point: even Collingsworth pointed out that of all the Vikings WRs Treadwell was not the fast one, so he was an odd target for the long bomb that we attempted. Carr had him stride for stride. Why even send him on that route when we have speedsters?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:to add another example to this point: even Collingsworth pointed out that of all the Vikings WRs Treadwell was not the fast one, so he was an odd target for the long bomb that we attempted. Carr had him stride for stride. Why even send him on that route when we have speedsters?
I didn't understand that one either.
germannorseman
Backup

Post by germannorseman »

Just another inept game by an inept offense. Just think what our record would be if we scored at least 20 points a game. I think we'll go 2 and 2 over the next 4 games.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: I didn't understand that one either.
Neither did I.

Then again, I've been questioning the team's personnel choices all season long.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

Mothman wrote: Good question. On top of strategy and playcalling, they make personnel choices in important situations that leave me baffled. For example, on the third down play where Treadwell badly mis-ran his route and didn't turn back for the pass once he went beyond the first down marker, why the heck was Treadwell in the game and targeted on such a crucial play in scoring territory?! He's a rookie who has barey been on the field all year so why bring him in and count on him in that situation when there are at least 4 other receivers on the roster more likely to run that route correctly and make the play? It was foolish.

i agree. it's confounding.
in a league where games consistently hinge on one or two plays, there's not much room for those kinds of errors, especially several of them.
-
where the hell is jarius wright? the treadwell play was a head scratcher.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Nunin wrote: in a league where games consistently hinge on one or two plays, there's not much room for those kinds of errors, especially several of them.
-
Agree.....seems like Treadwell should not even be playing....yet. Ran a wrong route on what could have been a 1st down.....noticeably slower than the rest of the WRs. But you know.....in order to win we must be mistake free or get scores from or defense and or STs....neither of which happened. Thielen should have either called for a fair catch or let it go....busted coverage on the Dez long throw....Clemmings being an absolute shameful excuse of a lineman resembling a revolving door....do I need to go further?
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Nunin wrote: i agree. it's confounding.
in a league where games consistently hinge on one or two plays, there's not much room for those kinds of errors, especially several of them.
-
Good question. Wright is a 4.3/40 guy with good hands. He's made big plays for the Vikings before. Where is he?
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

We should probably the rest all of our starters until the 2017 season at this point. The 2016 crapfest will most likely end with a year-long injury to someone like Barr, Smith, or Diggs which will hurt us next year.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Nunin wrote:where the hell is jarius wright?
I wonder that every week. They thought enough of him to sign him to a new deal and then relegated him to the bench. It's strange.
Barry
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Barry »

Mothman wrote: on the third down play where Treadwell badly mis-ran his route and didn't turn back for the pass once he went beyond the first down marker, why the heck was Treadwell in the game and targeted on such a crucial play in scoring territory?! He's a rookie who has barey been on the field all year so why bring him in and count on him in that situation when there are at least 4 other receivers on the roster more likely to run that route correctly and make the play? It was foolish.
A perfect example of why everyone is flustered with this team.
Fan of:
Hanahan Hawks
South Carolina Gamecocks
Minnesota Vikings
Charleston Battery
FC Bayern München
USMNT & Die Nationalmannschaft
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

losperros wrote: Neither did I.

Then again, I've been questioning the team's personnel choices all season long.

Well, great minds think alike I guess. Only you do it faster. :P

Treadwell is such an enigma, but then again, our WRs have provoked a heck of a lot of questions from fans over the past 5-6 years. I would love to know what the rationale was when they chose him--what role did they imagine for him? With so many successful rookie WRs this season on other teams, it smells funny. Especially since we already had a first round WR who was taking a long time to get up to speed. I thought it was Norv's persnickety offense or demanding total precision from his WRs. Maybe it was and we just need more time to see real changes.

It seems obvious that Treadwell's strength is to make catches and fight hard for yards. He was also reputed to be a physical blocker. So why don't we see him more in those roles? Blocking for CP's screens? Slant patterns where he has a chance to pick up YAC.