What do we have to do to beat Dallas

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: What do we have to do to beat Dallas

Post by Nunin »

It comes down to the VIkes D in their ability to stop the run.

Kapp, in another thread, commented on how it's miraculous that this team is where it is considering the injuries on offense. IMO that 'miracle' is the defense.

Lots of peeps want to label the Vikes D as an elite unit. While I disagree with that notion, I do believe they are capable of reaching that level based on my definition of elite.

If there was ever a game for them to come out and just shut a team down for 4 qtrs...this is it. It's time for them to get on that kind of roll, if they can.
They've been susceptible to being gashed by the run for the past 2 seasons...so Dallas is going to be a big test for them.

Backs against the wall with a very anemic offense, this becomes a statement game for Zimmer's D IMO.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Purple Reign wrote: Fair enough - my response wasn't directed so much towards just you, but a general comment about not throwing downfield. I guess you were just the last person in the conversation that I responded to, which made it seem like my response was directed toward you - my apologies for the misunderstanding.
No problem. I get it now. As I said, I agree with you about the need for downfield passing. I'll be disappointed if the Vikings don't at least try to incorporate bigger plays into their offense. It really needs it.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Nunin wrote:It comes down to the VIkes D in their ability to stop the run.

Kapp, in another thread, commented on how it's miraculous that this team is where it is considering the injuries on offense. IMO that 'miracle' is the defense.

Lots of peeps want to label the Vikes D as an elite unit. While I disagree with that notion, I do believe they are capable of reaching that level based on my definition of elite.

If there was ever a game for them to come out and just shut a team down for 4 qtrs...this is it. It's time for them to get on that kind of roll, if they can.
They've been susceptible to being gashed by the run for the past 2 seasons...so Dallas is going to be a big test for them.

Backs against the wall with a very anemic offense, this becomes a statement game for Zimmer's D IMO.
I agree with the above. But I think it would be more of a statement game for Zimmer if he also fielded a more assertive offense as well as putting a strong defense back on the field. The Vikings can't be half a team.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

losperros wrote: I agree with the above. But I think it would be more of a statement game for Zimmer if he also fielded a more assertive offense as well as putting a strong defense back on the field. The Vikings can't be half a team.
I totally agree....but I don't see that happening yet, so I only defined it in terms of his defense rather than the coach himself and/or the whole team.

I mean they could come out and rush for 150 and score 30....but I'm leaning toward, 'not gonna happen'. :ripple:
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

When we get lots of sacks and pressure we seem to win the turnover battle and emerge victorious. Seeing as how our defense has not played the same since the bye and going against the best OL in the league I am not too excited as to what the outcome will be. BUT.....the always hopeful dude I am....perhaps (like someone mentioned above) the Boys are due for a grounding and we can finally get back to playing 4 quarters of solid defense. Our run D is very suspect and seems like we can give up large chunks of yards at the end of games (like Thanksgiving) or penalties and allow the opponent the chance to win.

One other thought that has entered my mind......I like how Zim and company have drafted guys with high character traits but most seem to play with a bit less emotion than other teams/players. I know what most are thinking......(now he is drawing straws as to what has happened to a once promising season). I do see guys like Griffen, Diggs, Robison playing with emotion but guys like Sendejo, Waynes, and Johnson seem to be emotionless. Wasn't going to add this to the post but have been thing about it for some time. Prolly just an over reaction to fishing around for an explanation.....
VikingsKid28
Starter

Post by VikingsKid28 »

We just gotta fight. These guys fight. We've haven't been blown out yet this year, I don't count philly or Chicago. This game isn't out of reach. We've had a tough year, but we need to lay it all on the line here, give it all we got. This could be a huge swing for the rest of the season. Here's to a Vikes win. SKOL :rock:
It's a great day to be great
Dames
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Dames »

For reasons unexplained, I'm feeling stupidly optimistic about this game. I'm usually pessimistic. Maybe it's just the copious amount of caffeine in my body.

SKOL!
Damian
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Dames wrote:For reasons unexplained, I'm feeling stupidly optimistic about this game. I'm usually pessimistic. Maybe it's just the copious amount of caffeine in my body.

SKOL!
I am very hopeful that you are correct.....
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Dames wrote:For reasons unexplained, I'm feeling stupidly optimistic about this game. I'm usually pessimistic. Maybe it's just the copious amount of caffeine in my body.

SKOL!
:lol:

Well, keep caffeinated until after the game! Maybe it will bring the Vikings some luck!
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Arkaign wrote:Hi Vikings fans!

I'm a Dallas fan who quite likes the Vikings, I don't have a whole lot against the Packers, but AR seems to be kind of smug and annoying, so it was great to see both of our teams get the better of GB this season! And we have a lot in common over the past 20 years!
Aww, he knows just how to butter us up. Any hater of the Green and Gold is welcome here with open arms.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Muqali
Practice Squad

Post by Muqali »

Every game we have lost, ST and the D didn't physical run the ball in for a touchdown. Turnovers aren't good enough. They have to turn it over AND take it in themselves. Maybe now that Walsh is gone that won't have to be the case.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Muqali wrote:Every game we have lost, ST and the D didn't physical run the ball in for a touchdown. Turnovers aren't good enough. They have to turn it over AND take it in themselves. Maybe now that Walsh is gone that won't have to be the case.
Sadly this is true. Both losses to DET we lacked a ST or DEF score. AZ game, we had two scores from DEF and ST. Unfortunately this says more about how bad our offense is than anything else. The fact they need scoring help from ST and DEF is BAD.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Alaskan
Starter

Post by Alaskan »

Nunin wrote:It comes down to the VIkes D in their ability to stop the run.

I agree with you 100%! Very well said! Its time for them to step up in a prime time game and make a statement.
Purple Domination
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Purple Domination »

To win this one, I think we need to rely on the strength of our team: the secondary. Sellout to stop the run and rush Dak on 3rd downs. Leave our DBs on an island and let them do what they do best. While this is a risky strategy, I think it gives us the best chance to win instead of not lose.

Our offense might have a sneaky good day against the Cowboys defense. They just gave up 500 yards to the Redskins, so maybe just maybe we can score 20+ and win a tight one. My prediction is 23-20 Vikings :smilevike:
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Trap game for Dallas. I think we have a chance, our D needs to be stout against the run and our O needs to convert 3rd downs and take more shots downfield.