What do we have to do to beat Dallas

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: What do we have to do to beat Dallas

Post by Texas Vike »

PacificNorseWest wrote:Defensively:

- Zimmer has to be on point. Guess right and miss appropriately. The athletes on D need to show up.

Zimmer will have to call a great game. The margin for error is much more limited than versus any other opponent he's seen in his Vikings tenure, in my opinion. Dallas' offensive line is so good that blitz packages need not be a package, but individual blitz threats (needs to mix it up).

When Zimmer was first hired, a lot was made of sacks not being the true measure of great defense/pressure, and I agree...It's about collapsing the pocket, narrowing the running lanes, however you want to put it. The Vikings will need gap integrity. When facing a team like Dallas, that is so stout up front, you cannot over-pursue nor can you hang back...You have to suffocate the entire pocket and create a fog, cloud, if you will...Most importantly is the execution though...First and foremost, they need to freakin' tackle. They've seemed to forgot how to wrap-up of late.

I trust Xavier. He's aggressive, might get flags, but he's very good at what he does. Lock him up one on one with Dez and when Dallas is in the redzone, the Vikings can focus on what I mentioned above, because Dez hasn't even been a huge factor in this new look Dak/Zeke Cowboys. Barr to focus on Witten. If those two stay locked in, Dak may need to improvise. I thin Kendricks can keep up...The weirdest/biggest concern might be Beasley. He's been clutch for Dallas and has had very good chemistry with Dak. Munnerlynn will need to have a huge game. Beasley is young and quick, Captain will need to be savvy and anticipatory..

Offensively:

- Keep it methodical, the spots will find themselves. Keep getting 1st downs.

As an incurable optimist, the Vikings need to keep plugging away. I don't like this offense, but if they can get a few more first downs per game and even just convert to FG's, it might just be enough. That's asking for extreme efficiency (redudant?)...If Diggs is back then I think they offer one or two up for Patterson down the field. He's been a big contributor during this slump and given how he's been used, he should find some opportunity down the field now. Diggs, Rudolph have dominated the mid-range game and Thielen has been the jack of all trades...Keep dinking and dunking along...We see those CB's creeping up with man coverage on the outside (both sides)...Sam can take one step and throw a loft into a bucket, Diggs or Patterson will find the ball. Completion or not, with those athletes and Dallas onto their backups at CB, they could draw a few PI's....

If nothing else...Dallas is due and Minnesota is desperate...
Very nice write up. I do feel like the upset is possible if we come out hungry and give them our best shot.
Just Me
Hall of Famer

Post by Just Me »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:What do we have to do to beat Dallas?

Make their defensive line count 1-Mississippi, 2-Mississippi, 3-Mississippi before they rush.
I agree. But...they rush mississippilessly

(I don't know why, but that is the clip that popped into my head :D)
I've told people a million times not to exaggerate!
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Hijack the bus and have them not show up
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Winning percentage of the teams Dallas beat so far this year. .367
Winning percentage of the teams Dallas has to play the rest of the year. .593

I don't expect a blowout by either team. Dallas's wins against team with winning records is by no more than one score.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

losperros wrote: Where did I say Bradford NEVER has time to throw at least a couple deep balls per game?
You may not have said never, but a lot of people on here are trying to defend not throwing deep not even a couple of times because he 'doesn't have time'. If he never throws deep, then that implies that he never has time. Some of us are just saying you still have to try and throw deep a couple times to try and keep the defense somewhat honest and there are ways to get time to throw deep once in a while even if the OL is bad.
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

whats the spread?

I can see us making this a close one. The reason being our Secondary. I now think this group is the best in football, if not, in the top 3.
Let let Xavier and Waynes do what they do best. Press and play physical. don't let them think they're going to have it all their own way (especially the temperamental Dez). We make it difficult for them, and try and grind it out.
If our secondary plays like it can, and the offence is effective as it can be, i really do think we have a slim chance.
There's no doubt that they are the more talented team, but i honestly think that this is now a must win game. Otherwise its "taa-taa" to the playoffs. I reckon Zimmer thinks this as well, and he'll have them fired up.
Like i said its a slim chance, but i'm going to put my rose tinted spec's on and say the vikings win this 24-21. (We'll need a defensive score for this though)
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

PacificNorseWest wrote:Defensively:

- Zimmer has to be on point. Guess right and miss appropriately. The athletes on D need to show up.

Zimmer will have to call a great game. The margin for error is much more limited than versus any other opponent he's seen in his Vikings tenure, in my opinion. Dallas' offensive line is so good that blitz packages need not be a package, but individual blitz threats (needs to mix it up).

When Zimmer was first hired, a lot was made of sacks not being the true measure of great defense/pressure, and I agree...It's about collapsing the pocket, narrowing the running lanes, however you want to put it. The Vikings will need gap integrity. When facing a team like Dallas, that is so stout up front, you cannot over-pursue nor can you hang back...You have to suffocate the entire pocket and create a fog, cloud, if you will...Most importantly is the execution though...First and foremost, they need to freakin' tackle. They've seemed to forgot how to wrap-up of late.

I trust Xavier. He's aggressive, might get flags, but he's very good at what he does. Lock him up one on one with Dez and when Dallas is in the redzone, the Vikings can focus on what I mentioned above, because Dez hasn't even been a huge factor in this new look Dak/Zeke Cowboys. Barr to focus on Witten. If those two stay locked in, Dak may need to improvise. I thin Kendricks can keep up...The weirdest/biggest concern might be Beasley. He's been clutch for Dallas and has had very good chemistry with Dak. Munnerlynn will need to have a huge game. Beasley is young and quick, Captain will need to be savvy and anticipatory..

Offensively:

- Keep it methodical, the spots will find themselves. Keep getting 1st downs.

As an incurable optimist, the Vikings need to keep plugging away. I don't like this offense, but if they can get a few more first downs per game and even just convert to FG's, it might just be enough. That's asking for extreme efficiency (redudant?)...If Diggs is back then I think they offer one or two up for Patterson down the field. He's been a big contributor during this slump and given how he's been used, he should find some opportunity down the field now. Diggs, Rudolph have dominated the mid-range game and Thielen has been the jack of all trades...Keep dinking and dunking along...We see those CB's creeping up with man coverage on the outside (both sides)...Sam can take one step and throw a loft into a bucket, Diggs or Patterson will find the ball. Completion or not, with those athletes and Dallas onto their backups at CB, they could draw a few PI's....

If nothing else...Dallas is due and Minnesota is desperate...
I agree totally here.....seems like Zim has blown a few games by over thinking on adjustments etc. He has admitted in a few pressers. Stopping the run has been a big challenge and looks to be key in slowing down Dallas. As has been the recipe to most of our wins.....win the turnover battle, score on defense and/or special teams, sacks, sacks, and more sacks.
vatusay
Starter

Post by vatusay »

How about wrap up on tackles? Is it just me or does it seem like everyone on defense now takes the sandejo approach on taking down a ball carrier during the losing spell. Fly head first looking for a huge hit to make the highlight reel.

Need to get early lead of 10-14 points to force Dak to throw the ball. Linval needs to be dominate self while Barr and Kendricks plug the holes zeke tries to run through.
Arkaign
Waterboy

Post by Arkaign »

Hi Vikings fans!

I'm a Dallas fan who quite likes the Vikings, I don't have a whole lot against the Packers, but AR seems to be kind of smug and annoying, so it was great to see both of our teams get the better of GB this season! And we have a lot in common over the past 20 years! Some promising talent in lots of areas at times, but no big show victories to show for it. I'm also Scandinavian by heritage, so skål to you guys!

This should be an entertaining matchup, certainly no walk in the park despite what some rabid fans would like to say. I certainly saw it from a few Vikings fans earlier in the year, and you can bet some overly hyped Dallas fans have/will be saying the same kind of nonsense the other way as well. That's fine, but as we all know, both of these teams have loads of talent in various positions, and ANYthing can happen on game day. Heck, we just watched the Bucs smash the Seahawks like it was nothing.

I haven't watched a ton of Vikings games this year, about half of them. Bradford is better IMHO than many give him credit for, but behind such a banged up and talent-deprived O line, seems to be in a tough spot. He's performed admirably considering the circumstances. It seems like a better match would have been a mobile QB, but the FA market for QBs in the NFL is a tough one for sure.

Dallas has a solid run game, lots of talent on offense, but relatively few playmakers on defense. Theirs stats on scoring defense are pretty good, but it's built on keeping the other team to minimal possession opportunities. Sean Lee is a difference maker. Our best CB is down probably until the playoffs, he was playing lights-out and allowing almost zilch until he got hurt in the Philly game. Our #1 tackler Barry Church has also been out for a while, and may or may not be back for this game. We have a 6th round rookie that has been playing really solid overall in Anthony Brown. He's made some huge plays and done very well, but did give up a huge TD in the Thanksgiving game thanks to a rookie mistake. The Dallas D line is hard to run against but doesn't get pass rush. Because of the limited talent overall, the defensive coordinator tends to do a lot of minimal pass rush and likes to keep everything in front of the DBs. Tackling has been exceptional overall, they rush to the ball, and try to get teams to throw underneath to slow them down and prevent the bigger plays. When they are playing from ahead, this has really worked out well. Marinelli can surprise though, throwing exotic blitzes and getting guys to play exceptionally hard for a series or two as needed, though he's not known as a blitz-happy guy. When he has the personnel, as he did to start the year, he will let guys play man on the outside and slot, and get more aggressive with his LBs and the very athletic safety Byron Jones (who can also play CB as he did in college).

Given what I know, I expect a mid-low scoring game that is still competitive into the 2nd half. I expect a very physical game and a fun/loud atmosphere.

Best wishes from big D! If you have any questions I'll do my best! Can't wait till Thursday!
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Purple Reign wrote: You may not have said never, but a lot of people on here are trying to defend not throwing deep not even a couple of times because he 'doesn't have time'. If he never throws deep, then that implies that he never has time. Some of us are just saying you still have to try and throw deep a couple times to try and keep the defense somewhat honest and there are ways to get time to throw deep once in a while even if the OL is bad.
I'm not sure why you're using me as an example of the "lot of people" you're talking about, especially when you have to misquote me to do it. Some of us posters here don't like that.

Believe me, I agree the shots must be taken. The Vikings have the QB and the WRs to make the shots. The OL is pitifully porous but that doesn't mean the team should resort solely to small ball. I've said all this before.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

vatusay wrote:How about wrap up on tackles? Is it just me or does it seem like everyone on defense now takes the sandejo approach on taking down a ball carrier during the losing spell. Fly head first looking for a huge hit to make the highlight reel.
I've noticed a decline in wrapping up tackles as well. In fact, some of the D players are trying arm tackles, particularly against the run, which makes little sense to me. I believe Zimmer will crack the whip on that one.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

This Dallas team is sailing through the season on a very soft schedule. They are vulnerable.

The key to winning is the defense showing up early, shutting down the run hard and taking away Jason Witten. Do not let them score early either. Our Offense needs to take advantage of an overall weak Dallas Defense and get some points early, forcing the cowboys to throw more than they like. Shut down the running attack and make Prescott beat us with his arm.

Overall, if we can control their rushing attack and keep Witten from converting 3rd downs then we can play the defensive field position game we like and keep the score tight.

This is a game where the Front 7 needs to show up big.

I think we can keep the score low, I'm just not convinced our offense is capable of producing the 20 points they'll need to win the game unless they get help from the defense or ST.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

losperros wrote: I'm not sure why you're using me as an example of the "lot of people" you're talking about, especially when you have to misquote me to do it. Some of us posters here don't like that.

Believe me, I agree the shots must be taken. The Vikings have the QB and the WRs to make the shots. The OL is pitifully porous but that doesn't mean the team should resort solely to small ball. I've said all this before.
Fair enough - my response wasn't directed so much towards just you, but a general comment about not throwing downfield. I guess you were just the last person in the conversation that I responded to, which made it seem like my response was directed toward you - my apologies for the misunderstanding.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Arkaign wrote:Hi Vikings fans!

I'm a Dallas fan who quite likes the Vikings, I don't have a whole lot against the Packers, but AR seems to be kind of smug and annoying, so it was great to see both of our teams get the better of GB this season! And we have a lot in common over the past 20 years! Some promising talent in lots of areas at times, but no big show victories to show for it. I'm also Scandinavian by heritage, so skål to you guys!

This should be an entertaining matchup, certainly no walk in the park despite what some rabid fans would like to say. I certainly saw it from a few Vikings fans earlier in the year, and you can bet some overly hyped Dallas fans have/will be saying the same kind of nonsense the other way as well. That's fine, but as we all know, both of these teams have loads of talent in various positions, and ANYthing can happen on game day. Heck, we just watched the Bucs smash the Seahawks like it was nothing.

I haven't watched a ton of Vikings games this year, about half of them. Bradford is better IMHO than many give him credit for, but behind such a banged up and talent-deprived O line, seems to be in a tough spot. He's performed admirably considering the circumstances. It seems like a better match would have been a mobile QB, but the FA market for QBs in the NFL is a tough one for sure.

Dallas has a solid run game, lots of talent on offense, but relatively few playmakers on defense. Theirs stats on scoring defense are pretty good, but it's built on keeping the other team to minimal possession opportunities. Sean Lee is a difference maker. Our best CB is down probably until the playoffs, he was playing lights-out and allowing almost zilch until he got hurt in the Philly game. Our #1 tackler Barry Church has also been out for a while, and may or may not be back for this game. We have a 6th round rookie that has been playing really solid overall in Anthony Brown. He's made some huge plays and done very well, but did give up a huge TD in the Thanksgiving game thanks to a rookie mistake. The Dallas D line is hard to run against but doesn't get pass rush. Because of the limited talent overall, the defensive coordinator tends to do a lot of minimal pass rush and likes to keep everything in front of the DBs. Tackling has been exceptional overall, they rush to the ball, and try to get teams to throw underneath to slow them down and prevent the bigger plays. When they are playing from ahead, this has really worked out well. Marinelli can surprise though, throwing exotic blitzes and getting guys to play exceptionally hard for a series or two as needed, though he's not known as a blitz-happy guy. When he has the personnel, as he did to start the year, he will let guys play man on the outside and slot, and get more aggressive with his LBs and the very athletic safety Byron Jones (who can also play CB as he did in college).

Given what I know, I expect a mid-low scoring game that is still competitive into the 2nd half. I expect a very physical game and a fun/loud atmosphere.

Best wishes from big D! If you have any questions I'll do my best! Can't wait till Thursday!
Solid post, thanks for the insight.

Though I was born and raised in MN and have been a Vikings fan since birth, I live in Fort Worth and so I've seen more of the Cowboys than I'd normally want to! :lol:

I have always hated the Cowboys, they illustrate some of the vast cultural differences between MN and TX IMO, but I have to admit that I like Dak and Elliot and your OL quite a lot. I've noticed that it's harder for me to cheer against them this year.

What scares me most is the Cowboys' running game. If we can't stop it, we're in for a long night. If we can, I think we'll make it a tight game. This is one of those games that I wish we had Fat Pat alongside Linval and a monster MLB that can thump.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

UKno1VIKING wrote:whats the spread?

I can see us making this a close one. The reason being our Secondary. I now think this group is the best in football, if not, in the top 3.
Let let Xavier and Waynes do what they do best. Press and play physical. don't let them think they're going to have it all their own way (especially the temperamental Dez). We make it difficult for them, and try and grind it out.
If our secondary plays like it can, and the offence is effective as it can be, i really do think we have a slim chance.
There's no doubt that they are the more talented team, but i honestly think that this is now a must win game. Otherwise its "taa-taa" to the playoffs. I reckon Zimmer thinks this as well, and he'll have them fired up.
Like i said its a slim chance, but i'm going to put my rose tinted spec's on and say the vikings win this 24-21. (We'll need a defensive score for this though)
Dallas is a 3 point favorite at this time.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/las-vegas/
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966