What do we have to do to beat Dallas

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mossbutt
All Pro Elite Player

Re: What do we have to do to beat Dallas

Post by mossbutt »

Sign Herschel Walker.
Fran the Man
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Fran the Man »

PsyDanny wrote: ...this will be a Thursday.
Ha! Set myself up for that. Good one!
Don't pick a fight with an old Viking. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Shoot down the Cowboys plane before it lands?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Run Norvs offense, pray.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Fran the Man
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Fran the Man »

Raptorman wrote: Teams above .500 the Cowboys beat.

Steelers, 6-5
Redskins. Twice 6-4-1

Other wins.
Browns 0-11
Benglas 3-9-1
Ravens 5-5
49r's 1-9
Eagles 5-5
Bears 2-8.
Packers 4-6

Team they lost to.

Giants 7-3
I think we have a chance.
Sure hope you're right.
Don't pick a fight with an old Viking. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

pray alot
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

Score more
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:Nunin gave some good answers. I'll add another point: convert on third down, sustain drives and score TDs instead of settling for FGs.

They need to do the latter because the Cowboys will score on the Vikes and it's unlikely the Vikings will be able to eke out a 13-10 victory or something similar.

They need to convert third downs and sustain drives not only to score but to keep their defense from getting worn down by the Cowboy's physical line and running game.

What does the Vikes offense need to do to move the ball?

I'd say they need to take a few shots downfield to open things up and they need to get the ball to players who can make yards on their own. Get the ball to Patterson, get the ball to Diggs if can play, get Wright involved. He's always been a good RAC player and he's inexplicably disappeared from the offense this season.

It's going to be a tall order.
It's a tall order but I sure agree with you and Nunin about the offense playing-to-win instead of going conservative. Even if the offense can't make it happen, we already know the paranoid approach isn't working. There's nowhere else to go for the Vikings offense other than putting the pedal to the metal.

The defense absolutely cannot get soft on any drive, particularly in the 4th quarter. And they really have to get their pass rush tenacity back in order. That will help a lot.

Patterson is a heck of a kick returner but the Vikings need to keep using him as a gunner on punts, too. He helps the defense get good field position.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Vikes can beat Dallas by playing the way they played in their 6 wins so far - basically, play mistake-free football on offense and create turnovers on defense.

As to whether they can do that, well, I'd say it's about 50-50.

It would be nice to see them go downfield a bit more on offense. I don't buy that Bradford doesn't have time to do that because he does, but admittedly it's not as safe as checking down. Still, if the defensive backs believe they don't have to worry about the deep ball they'll just sit back, watch the QB, and start jumping routes looking for picks.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

VikingLord wrote:It would be nice to see them go downfield a bit more on offense. I don't buy that Bradford doesn't have time to do that because he does, but admittedly it's not as safe as checking down.
You don't have to buy it, Edward, but lack of time is a big problem for Bradford and the offense. The present OL is playing poorly and it's been an issue for years, even when the starters were healthy.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

losperros wrote: You don't have to buy it, Edward, but lack of time is a big problem for Bradford and the offense. The present OL is playing poorly and it's been an issue for years, even when the starters were healthy.
Yes, the OL is a big problem, but to say Bradford NEVER has time to throw at least a couple of deep balls per game is ridiculous. I know Bradford isn't very mobile, but he doesn't need to be to try a roll out to give him a couple more seconds.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Purple Reign wrote: Yes, the OL is a big problem, but to say Bradford NEVER has time to throw at least a couple of deep balls per game is ridiculous. I know Bradford isn't very mobile, but he doesn't need to be to try a roll out to give him a couple more seconds.
:appl: He has time as long as it's not done every down. That's what extra blockers and play action were designed to do. Sam prefers to check down all day and make his garbage stats look "good" on paper.If this is going to be the offensive scheme going forward they better get some beastly run after catch targets.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Purple Reign wrote: Yes, the OL is a big problem, but to say Bradford NEVER has time to throw at least a couple of deep balls per game is ridiculous. I know Bradford isn't very mobile, but he doesn't need to be to try a roll out to give him a couple more seconds.
Where did I say Bradford NEVER has time to throw at least a couple deep balls per game?
Hunter Morrow
Hall of Famer

Post by Hunter Morrow »

Find a genie's lamp and rub it.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Defensively:

- Zimmer has to be on point. Guess right and miss appropriately. The athletes on D need to show up.

Zimmer will have to call a great game. The margin for error is much more limited than versus any other opponent he's seen in his Vikings tenure, in my opinion. Dallas' offensive line is so good that blitz packages need not be a package, but individual blitz threats (needs to mix it up).

When Zimmer was first hired, a lot was made of sacks not being the true measure of great defense/pressure, and I agree...It's about collapsing the pocket, narrowing the running lanes, however you want to put it. The Vikings will need gap integrity. When facing a team like Dallas, that is so stout up front, you cannot over-pursue nor can you hang back...You have to suffocate the entire pocket and create a fog, cloud, if you will...Most importantly is the execution though...First and foremost, they need to freakin' tackle. They've seemed to forgot how to wrap-up of late.

I trust Xavier. He's aggressive, might get flags, but he's very good at what he does. Lock him up one on one with Dez and when Dallas is in the redzone, the Vikings can focus on what I mentioned above, because Dez hasn't even been a huge factor in this new look Dak/Zeke Cowboys. Barr to focus on Witten. If those two stay locked in, Dak may need to improvise. I thin Kendricks can keep up...The weirdest/biggest concern might be Beasley. He's been clutch for Dallas and has had very good chemistry with Dak. Munnerlynn will need to have a huge game. Beasley is young and quick, Captain will need to be savvy and anticipatory..

Offensively:

- Keep it methodical, the spots will find themselves. Keep getting 1st downs.

As an incurable optimist, the Vikings need to keep plugging away. I don't like this offense, but if they can get a few more first downs per game and even just convert to FG's, it might just be enough. That's asking for extreme efficiency (redudant?)...If Diggs is back then I think they offer one or two up for Patterson down the field. He's been a big contributor during this slump and given how he's been used, he should find some opportunity down the field now. Diggs, Rudolph have dominated the mid-range game and Thielen has been the jack of all trades...Keep dinking and dunking along...We see those CB's creeping up with man coverage on the outside (both sides)...Sam can take one step and throw a loft into a bucket, Diggs or Patterson will find the ball. Completion or not, with those athletes and Dallas onto their backups at CB, they could draw a few PI's....

If nothing else...Dallas is due and Minnesota is desperate...