Vikings @ Lions Game Day Discussion Thread -- Thanksgiving

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings @ Lions Game Day Discussion Thread -- Thanksgivi

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Y'know speaking of Sam's intelligence go watch his post game press conferences and take a drink every time he says "Y'Know". I counted 14 in 30 seconds Y'know?
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

Mothman wrote: I understand your position. I just don't see much substance behind the article's position. Chase provided no evidence that Spielman could have had Bradford for considerably less. I can't find the tacit admission he's talking about.

It has the whiff of a hatchet piece or click bait in it's tone.....but I'm thinking Rosen might say something if it's false. So, maybe we'll find out.
:confused:

what a whacky season :rofl:
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Found the following in an article on the internet this morning. Evidently Bradford even thinks the play calling is too conservative.

QB a culprit in offense's weakness

The Vikings have slipped to 6-5 after a 5-0 start, and Sam Bradford thinks the problem is the offense needs more explosive plays. He's right, and certainly the team's injury-gutted offensive line is part of the problem. But so too is the quarterback the team gave up a first-round pick for.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Nunin wrote: yeah that was it.

I completely disagree that the trade is a a bust and that Sam has failed here..OR..that he is just a rental. I think same is a good QB in spite of any limitations he may have. Most QBs have at least one.

But the point I was trying to make by alluding to the article was that Spielman overpaid. Period. Assuming it's accurate. And since it's front page on foxsports I would think that Rosenface may want to dispute it if it's false.

:popcorn:
What a load of crap. Sorry, he doesn't even mention the o-line or other injuries. So, according to him, it's only the QB that wins or losses games. Does a healthy o-line guarantee success? Nope. Would Peterson in the backfield the whole season guarantee success? Nope. But tell me, would anyone here like to see where this team would be with Hill at QB the whole year? I also notice that the writer does not touch on that issue. It's easy to sit there after 5 loses in 6 games an criticize a decision. But I wonder, if the Vikings were sitting at 9-2 would he have written the same article? If you can say yes to that, then he has a point. At 9-2, I am sure he would be saying it was worth the deal.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

Raptorman wrote:What a load of crap. Sorry, he doesn't even mention the o-line or other injuries. So, according to him, it's only the QB that wins or losses games. Does a healthy o-line guarantee success? Nope. Would Peterson in the backfield the whole season guarantee success? Nope. But tell me, would anyone here like to see where this team would be with Hill at QB the whole year? I also notice that the writer does not touch on that issue. It's easy to sit there after 5 loses in 6 games an criticize a decision. But I wonder, if the Vikings were sitting at 9-2 would he have written the same article? If you can say yes to that, then he has a point. At 9-2, I am sure he would be saying it was worth the deal.
right. the whole point of mentioning the article was the bit about spielman not seeking a better deal than the one he got. the rest of the article is complete crap of an opinion.
Iron Lion
Backup

Post by Iron Lion »

AlldayPotter wrote:Bradford is a very servacible quarterback.

But that's it. More and more we watch him every week we see more of what he has done throughout his time in the nfl. Although I do admit the line and play calling doesn't help (the obvious). But what I've seen and really have begun to hate is bradford has NO winning drive. I just feel like he is not the type of quarterback to lead a team back to win a game. At least teddy had that over bradford, example is the wild card playoff game (thanks walsh). Bradford is not clutch.
We have seen rodgers, Stafford, cousins do it , but just nothing with Bradford. And now that 1st and 4th is really hurting, especially if bradford doesn't help the team out and restructure his contract. I'm ok with him being the starter next year ( till teddy recovers) , but there better be a new OC.
We better draft nothing short of 4 Olineman in this year's draft. Hell just draft all of them. This is the year that has really shown how important offensive lineman are( dallas).
While I agree with what you're saying, Bradford did lead a game-winning touchdown drive against the Lions in week 9.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote: Actually, it seems like that would probably help. :lol:

Injuries have taken a toll on the team this year and losing Peterson in particular hurt. Losing the starting tackles did too and Bridgewater's injury was demoralizing for the team, although there's been no drop-off in overall QB performance without him. In fact, it's actually been better. However, continually leaning on injuries to excuse or explain away the team's offensive woes rings hollow when the offense has been bad under Zimmer, period. Injuries have helped make the offense even worse but it's not as if those injuries dropped the offense from the upper half of the league to rock bottom. Sadly, they didn't have very far to fall.

The problems run far deeper than injuries.
Maybe. But the injuries have ruined this team's chances to do whatever it could have done.

This probably wasn't a Super Bowl team before all the injuries. But it also wasn't a team that should've lost two very winnable games against a Detroit team that will likely get destroyed in the playoffs, and injuries played a direct role in those losses. Think of how close we are to being in position for a first-round bye -- win these two Detroit games, and we're 8-3 with a virtually insurmountable division lead. I mean, yesterday we were playing Willie Beavers at tackle and some other guy named Kerin, and we still almost won on the road.

Again, I'm not convinced this team was good enough to make the Super Bowl. But the mass of injuries to an already less-than-stellar offensive line have pretty doomed this team. We're not even in realistic playoff contention anymore. Even the most skeptical of Vikings fans probably didn't see this as a non-playoff team back in September.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

I like the downfield passing game as much as anyone, and it's extremely frustrating watching another KAO. I miss Tommy Kramer, Warren Moon, Cunningham, and Culpepper. Heck I even miss Jeff George and Brett Favre :tongue:

But they simply cannot throw deep with this OL. Anytime he takes more than a 3 step drop, he's under heavy heavy pressure. There is just not enough time for deep routes to develop.

I suppose Sam could take a 3 step drop and throw a really high arching ball downfield, like a punt, and hope CJ can run under it :v):

It's really frustrating because a holding penalty is an automatic drive killer. If you add up the total time Bradford has in the pockey (on 1st down + 2nd down + 3rd down) and then how far the fastest WR can get downfield in that time, it is basically theoretically impossible to convert a 1st and 20 with about 13 YAC :rofl:

Bradford sure isn't the problem.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Maybe. But the injuries have ruined this team's chances to do whatever it could have done.

This probably wasn't a Super Bowl team before all the injuries. But it also wasn't a team that should've lost two very winnable games against a Detroit team that will likely get destroyed in the playoffs, and injuries played a direct role in those losses. Think of how close we are to being in position for a first-round bye -- win these two Detroit games, and we're 8-3 with a virtually insurmountable division lead. I mean, yesterday we were playing Willie Beavers at tackle and some other guy named Kerin, and we still almost won on the road.

Again, I'm not convinced this team was good enough to make the Super Bowl. But the mass of injuries to an already less-than-stellar offensive line have pretty doomed this team. We're not even in realistic playoff contention anymore. Even the most skeptical of Vikings fans probably didn't see this as a non-playoff team back in September.
Actually, we are not that far out. Chances are if they would win 4 of 5 they would be a wild card. But then, that goes to people believing they can beat the Colts, Packers, Bears and Jags. If they can't do that, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs anyway.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

Maelstrom88 wrote:Teddy took more sacks than Sam throughout his career because Sam was always in a dink dunk offense where the defense doesn't have time to sack you. It's hard to get a sack when Sam immediately throws a swing route or a slant. Yea, great quick reads Sam! You diagnosed that defense so fast! Teddy was under Norv who asked him to look deep and stretch the field now and then.
14 tds year 1, 14 tds year 2. CAREER YPA 6.8

VBradfords career YPA 6.5 but 7.0 since he's left the Rams

So once again your comments carry zero facts, only more fiction.

Bridgewater got sacked a lot because he can't read defenses.

Put Bradford in with 2015 Peterson and that OL and this team is 9-2 at worst today.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

What's Bradford's YPA since Shurmur took over this year? Check out this pff write up on how Sammy did yesterday.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-mi ... for-lions/

3.5 yard depth of target average is really good isn't it? Is that fact enough for you? It's OK you will eventually admit he sucks it might take you a year or two. I've watched every one of his NFL games. I know better.
mael·strom

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Not sure if this article has been posted; apologies if it has.

An insider's view of the most important play yesterday and commentary on the Vikings conservative offensive philosophy:
"For me as the post safety, it really gets to the point where, 'OK, they are throwing so much quick stuff that eventually they are going to throw something deep,'" Lions safety Glover Quin said. "They never did, so it was actually kind of lonely back there.

"He can complete all those passes, and getting 3, 4 yards here, they might turn up and get 8 [yards] one time, but the ball is not going down the field. If you’re going to do that, I probably could [complete] 80 percent throwing it that fast."
http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-viki ... terception
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Not sure if this article has been posted; apologies if it has.

An insider's view of the most important play yesterday and commentary on the Vikings conservative offensive philosophy:
http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-viki ... terception

I posted that one the previous page. :) It's definitely a good read and that quote shows why being overly conservative can be detrimental just like being recklessly aggressive. Being too conservative in the passing game is a bit like driving 20 miles under the speed limit in the passing lane.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Throw me out there I could complete 100 percent of the wide open swing routes that go for 1 yard. That stat is completely overrated.
mael·strom

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Raptorman wrote: Actually, we are not that far out. Chances are if they would win 4 of 5 they would be a wild card. But then, that goes to people believing they can beat the Colts, Packers, Bears and Jags. If they can't do that, they don't deserve to be in the playoffs anyway.
Our relatively soft late schedule is the biggest reason Detroit's likelihood to win the division is still only listed as a 50%.

But honestly, the way our offense is going, I don't see us as a favorite in any game except maybe the Bears, since Cutler is likely done for the year. That's not to say we can't win them, but unless we can get some continuity on the O-line, I'm afraid we're looking at an 8-8 team.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.