Lack of big plays.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 859
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:21 pm

Lack of big plays.

Post by Norv Zimmer » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:55 pm

The lack of big explosive plays is why this team will never be anything. We didnt have one pass play more than 10 yards I think.
0 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11287
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Lack of big plays.

Post by S197 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:02 pm

Norv Zimmer wrote:The lack of big explosive plays is why this team will never be anything. We didnt have one pass play more than 10 yards I think.
McKinnon and Ellison had plays over 10. Perhaps Patterson. But yeah when Willie Beavers is your tackle you're not going to be throwing many bombs.
0 x

User avatar
Maelstrom88
Transition Player
Posts: 370
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:38 am

Re: Lack of big plays.

Post by Maelstrom88 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:16 pm

The oline is bad but that is not an excuse for NEVER taking a shot. Keep a TE, FB, and/ or the HB and throw it deep on a sluggo or hook n go. This is the Shurmur/ Bradford offense. I've watched it for years.
0 x
Offseason Goal: Draft durable, tough, intelligent offensive lineman who are dependable technicians and avoid penalties aka drive killers.

User avatar
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Candidate
Posts: 3479
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 am

Re: Lack of big plays.

Post by fiestavike » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:18 pm

Maelstrom88 wrote:The oline is bad but that is not an excuse for NEVER taking a shot. Keep a TE, FB, and/ or the HB and throw it deep on a sluggo or hook n go. This is the Shurmur/ Bradford offense. I've watched it for years.
I miss Norv. I am convinced this season would be going much better with Hill and someone off the scrap heap running Turner's system than we are now. We traded for Sam, and tried to revamp the whole offense to fit what he can and can't do...its throwing good money after bad and compounding one mistake with another. Ugh. Same old Vikings.
0 x

RFIP
Veteran
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:02 pm

Re: Lack of big plays.

Post by RFIP » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:31 pm

S197 wrote: McKinnon and Ellison had plays over 10. Perhaps Patterson. But yeah when Willie Beavers is your tackle you're not going to be throwing many bombs.
And Willie Beavers is Anthony Munoz compared to TJ Turnstyle!
0 x

User avatar
losperros
Commissioner
Posts: 10041
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:47 am
Location: Burbank, California

Re: Lack of big plays.

Post by losperros » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:08 pm

Maelstrom88 wrote:The oline is bad but that is not an excuse for NEVER taking a shot. Keep a TE, FB, and/ or the HB and throw it deep on a sluggo or hook n go. This is the Shurmur/ Bradford offense. I've watched it for years.
I agree the offense has to take some shots. Bradford can make the throws and the receivers are there. But this offense oftentimes feels like the Childress "play not to lose" style. It drives me crazy.

BTW, I don't know how others feel but I thought the OL looked bad even on good plays. For example, anyone running the ball behind this OL has to make most of the yardage by himself. Here's a good example. A 22 yard gain but still pretty bad blocking...

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... 066ff8cf92
0 x

User avatar
S197
Fenrir
Posts: 11287
Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:28 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: Lack of big plays.

Post by S197 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:19 pm

RFIP wrote: And Willie Beavers is Anthony Munoz compared to TJ Turnstyle!
https://twitter.com/cianaf/status/801883314420322304
0 x

User avatar
losperros
Commissioner
Posts: 10041
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:47 am
Location: Burbank, California

Re: Lack of big plays.

Post by losperros » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:38 pm

Holy moly, that is horrible! :x
0 x

Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am

Re: Lack of big plays.

Post by Nunin » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:51 pm

the line is bad lol

-
easton should start at center the rest of the way and berger, if he's healthy, should take over for fusco IMO
-
go only knows what they'll do at tackle if sirle(sp) can't go.....but maybe put boone @LT.....keep fusco at RG and put berger at LG
-
they gotta try something other than clemmings and beavers lol omg
0 x

RFIP
Veteran
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:02 pm

Re: Lack of big plays.

Post by RFIP » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:44 pm


LOL, Willie Beavers? My ex-girlfriends worn out beaver would do a better job of slowing the DE down!

And if you look up top you see turn-style Clemmings getting beat like a drum yet again!

Believe me Sam KNOWS how fast he has to get rid of it on every snap. LOL those saying "did you see the play Johnson was running free up the slot???" NO, Sam didn't see him because from the time a pass play is called he KNOWS he's got exactly 1.0 seconds to throw the ball before he's sacked! And so does the defense! Hence the route jump by Slay to win the game!
0 x

User avatar
Mothman
Defensive Tackle
Posts: 37384
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 11:48 am
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Lack of big plays.

Post by Mothman » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:09 am

losperros wrote: I agree the offense has to take some shots. Bradford can make the throws and the receivers are there. But this offense oftentimes feels like the Childress "play not to lose" style. It drives me crazy.

BTW, I don't know how others feel but I thought the OL looked bad even on good plays. For example, anyone running the ball behind this OL has to make most of the yardage by himself. Here's a good example. A 22 yard gain but still pretty bad blocking...

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... 066ff8cf92

I agree. That was a beautiful run by Patterson but it wasn't well-blocked.
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5318
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Lack of big plays.

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:34 am

fiestavike wrote: I miss Norv. I am convinced this season would be going much better with Hill and someone off the scrap heap running Turner's system than we are now. We traded for Sam, and tried to revamp the whole offense to fit what he can and can't do...its throwing good money after bad and compounding one mistake with another. Ugh. Same old Vikings.
Lol you miss Norv and think the season would be going better with Hill :lol: :lol: What has this board come to?? I'd love to try whatever you're smoking.

Let's keep Norv and start Hill. Continue to do 7 step drops with Hill who is way less mobile than Sam. I'm sure he'd do great behind this OL. We can also keep running Asiata up the gut for no gain. Yeah all makes perfect sense. What were we all thinking??!! This guy has it figured out guys
0 x
Image

Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:40 am

Re: Lack of big plays.

Post by Nunin » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:01 am

i gotta disagree that hill is 'way less mobile' than sam. that's actually funny. i think sam has been about as imobile as they come.
-
0 x

User avatar
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player
Posts: 859
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:21 pm

Re: Lack of big plays.

Post by Norv Zimmer » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:33 am

Just saw that Vikings down field passing averaged 3.5 yards per completion. That is absolutely pathetic.
0 x

User avatar
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer
Posts: 5318
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 am
Location: Watertown, NY

Re: Lack of big plays.

Post by Pondering Her Percy » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:35 am

Nunin wrote:i gotta disagree that hill is 'way less mobile' than sam. that's actually funny. i think sam has been about as imobile as they come.
-
He's a 36 year old pocket QB!!! You're going to sit there and tell me he is mobile? At least sam is younger. Hill is about to croak.
0 x
Image

Post Reply