Lack of big plays.

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Lack of big plays.

Post by Norv Zimmer »

The lack of big explosive plays is why this team will never be anything. We didnt have one pass play more than 10 yards I think.
S197
Fenrir

Re: Lack of big plays.

Post by S197 »

Norv Zimmer wrote:The lack of big explosive plays is why this team will never be anything. We didnt have one pass play more than 10 yards I think.
McKinnon and Ellison had plays over 10. Perhaps Patterson. But yeah when Willie Beavers is your tackle you're not going to be throwing many bombs.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

The oline is bad but that is not an excuse for NEVER taking a shot. Keep a TE, FB, and/ or the HB and throw it deep on a sluggo or hook n go. This is the Shurmur/ Bradford offense. I've watched it for years.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Maelstrom88 wrote:The oline is bad but that is not an excuse for NEVER taking a shot. Keep a TE, FB, and/ or the HB and throw it deep on a sluggo or hook n go. This is the Shurmur/ Bradford offense. I've watched it for years.
I miss Norv. I am convinced this season would be going much better with Hill and someone off the scrap heap running Turner's system than we are now. We traded for Sam, and tried to revamp the whole offense to fit what he can and can't do...its throwing good money after bad and compounding one mistake with another. Ugh. Same old Vikings.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

S197 wrote: McKinnon and Ellison had plays over 10. Perhaps Patterson. But yeah when Willie Beavers is your tackle you're not going to be throwing many bombs.
And Willie Beavers is Anthony Munoz compared to TJ Turnstyle!
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Maelstrom88 wrote:The oline is bad but that is not an excuse for NEVER taking a shot. Keep a TE, FB, and/ or the HB and throw it deep on a sluggo or hook n go. This is the Shurmur/ Bradford offense. I've watched it for years.
I agree the offense has to take some shots. Bradford can make the throws and the receivers are there. But this offense oftentimes feels like the Childress "play not to lose" style. It drives me crazy.

BTW, I don't know how others feel but I thought the OL looked bad even on good plays. For example, anyone running the ball behind this OL has to make most of the yardage by himself. Here's a good example. A 22 yard gain but still pretty bad blocking...

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... 066ff8cf92
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

RFIP wrote: And Willie Beavers is Anthony Munoz compared to TJ Turnstyle!
https://twitter.com/cianaf/status/801883314420322304
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Holy moly, that is horrible! :x
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

the line is bad lol

-
easton should start at center the rest of the way and berger, if he's healthy, should take over for fusco IMO
-
go only knows what they'll do at tackle if sirle(sp) can't go.....but maybe put boone @LT.....keep fusco at RG and put berger at LG
-
they gotta try something other than clemmings and beavers lol omg
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

LOL, Willie Beavers? My ex-girlfriends worn out beaver would do a better job of slowing the DE down!

And if you look up top you see turn-style Clemmings getting beat like a drum yet again!

Believe me Sam KNOWS how fast he has to get rid of it on every snap. LOL those saying "did you see the play Johnson was running free up the slot???" NO, Sam didn't see him because from the time a pass play is called he KNOWS he's got exactly 1.0 seconds to throw the ball before he's sacked! And so does the defense! Hence the route jump by Slay to win the game!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote: I agree the offense has to take some shots. Bradford can make the throws and the receivers are there. But this offense oftentimes feels like the Childress "play not to lose" style. It drives me crazy.

BTW, I don't know how others feel but I thought the OL looked bad even on good plays. For example, anyone running the ball behind this OL has to make most of the yardage by himself. Here's a good example. A 22 yard gain but still pretty bad blocking...

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... 066ff8cf92

I agree. That was a beautiful run by Patterson but it wasn't well-blocked.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote: I miss Norv. I am convinced this season would be going much better with Hill and someone off the scrap heap running Turner's system than we are now. We traded for Sam, and tried to revamp the whole offense to fit what he can and can't do...its throwing good money after bad and compounding one mistake with another. Ugh. Same old Vikings.
Lol you miss Norv and think the season would be going better with Hill :lol: :lol: What has this board come to?? I'd love to try whatever you're smoking.

Let's keep Norv and start Hill. Continue to do 7 step drops with Hill who is way less mobile than Sam. I'm sure he'd do great behind this OL. We can also keep running Asiata up the gut for no gain. Yeah all makes perfect sense. What were we all thinking??!! This guy has it figured out guys
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

i gotta disagree that hill is 'way less mobile' than sam. that's actually funny. i think sam has been about as imobile as they come.
-
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Just saw that Vikings down field passing averaged 3.5 yards per completion. That is absolutely pathetic.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Nunin wrote:i gotta disagree that hill is 'way less mobile' than sam. that's actually funny. i think sam has been about as imobile as they come.
-
He's a 36 year old pocket QB!!! You're going to sit there and tell me he is mobile? At least sam is younger. Hill is about to croak.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri