Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 11

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

S197
Fenrir

Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: No problem brother! The way I look at it is, why aren't corners doing that to all WRs. We run quick screens to CP and Diggs a lot so why aren't guys running up to them and blowing them up? I just thought it was pretty uncalled for. There was no need for it. And I believe Boone said what he had to say when asked about it. No OL is going to sit there and say that was a heady play.

I don't take what you said personally at all man. We're all good :rock:
They do it to WRs all the time, it's called press coverage. The only difference is the receiver pushes back. It's like a kicker/punter trying to tackle, it looks terrible because they're not skilled to do it. That doesn't take away from the fact that they're allowed to tackle even if they're bad at it. Same with Bradford, he's allowed to be contacted within 5-yards like any other receiver, even if he's bad at it. He has every right to push back if he wants. It doesn't matter if you put Bradford, Locke, or Zimmer out there, if they're playing the WR position, the same rules apply.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

S197 wrote: They do it to WRs all the time, it's called press coverage. The only difference is the receiver pushes back. It's like a kicker/punter trying to tackle, it looks terrible because they're not skilled to do it. That doesn't take away from the fact that they're allowed to tackle even if they're bad at it. Same with Bradford, he's allowed to be contacted within 5-yards like any other receiver, even if he's bad at it. He has every right to push back if he wants. It doesn't matter if you put Bradford, Locke, or Zimmer out there, if they're playing the WR position, the same rules apply.
I don't think anyone is saying that the play itself broke a rule. Just that the reason behind the flag being thrown. Sorta like in the national league baseball. You could throw chin music at the opposing pitcher when he bats to spook him, just... why?
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

seriously, the whole cardinal team was pretty frustrated. that's a proud group and their season went up in flames on the back of 2 100yd returns and a flea flicker...for the most part. obviously there was more involved in the outcome.
-
the only dirty looking play i saw was when one of the cardinals players nailed Sam after he was already on his back. no call...it was bs IMO. both by the defender and whoever didn't throw a flag.
I don't think that game was officiated all that well or consistently to begin with. i can't speak for peterson's actual intent...but it was easy to see the frustration on that side of the field beginning with arians.
-
sam needs some work at getting off the line...maybe CP84 can work with him?
-
ok...done with the cardinals for realz...hope they come back strong next year.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

S197 wrote:
They do it to WRs all the time, it's called press coverage. The only difference is the receiver pushes back. It's like a kicker/punter trying to tackle, it looks terrible because they're not skilled to do it. That doesn't take away from the fact that they're allowed to tackle even if they're bad at it. Same with Bradford, he's allowed to be contacted within 5-yards like any other receiver, even if he's bad at it. He has every right to push back if he wants. It doesn't matter if you put Bradford, Locke, or Zimmer out there, if they're playing the WR position, the same rules apply.
Disagree again. Press coverage is when a WR and CB are nose to nose when the ball is snapped and they jam from there. From what I remember, Peterson and Bradford were far from being nose to nose and Peterson was on a dead sprint at Bradford when he hit him. That isn't "press coverage". Yeah let's press Sam Bradford with our best corner because he's such a threat. Peterson said to the media, "I did what the coaches told me to do and that was take him out of the ball game". NOT, "hey go press him so he doesn't beat you deep". He even said it, there was a reason behind it and I do not agree with his intention or reason

Side note: everyone that was knocking Boone for being a media distraction, Berger and Sirles both spoke to the media saying it was uncalled for. So like I said before, I have no clue why Boone was being criticized for what he said. He did what he was suppose to do and said the same thing any other OL in the NFL would say. Have no clue what's wrong with that
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Disagree again. Press coverage is when a WR and CB are nose to nose when the ball is snapped and they jam from there. From what I remember, Peterson and Bradford were far from being nose to nose and Peterson was on a dead sprint at Bradford when he hit him. That isn't "press coverage". Yeah let's press Sam Bradford with our best corner because he's such a threat. Peterson said to the media, "I did what the coaches told me to do and that was take him out of the ball game". NOT, "hey go press him so he doesn't beat you deep". He even said it, there was a reason behind it and I do not agree with his intention or reason

Side note: everyone that was knocking Boone for being a media distraction, Berger and Sirles both spoke to the media saying it was uncalled for. So like I said before, I have no clue why Boone was being criticized for what he said. He did what he was suppose to do and said the same thing any other OL in the NFL would say. Have no clue what's wrong with that
Press coverage is being physical within five yards of the line of scrimmage with a receiver. It has nothing to do with Bradford being a threat, it's about countering the call. Teams will think twice about putting a QB wide if he keeps getting hit. Just because it's Sam Bradford doesn't suddenly mean he gets special treatment all of a sudden. You line up as a receiver and you're treated like a receiver.

The OL should stick up for their QB so I have no problem with that, I just don't think it was a dirty play. Was the intent to hit him? Absolutely. It's football.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

S197 wrote: Press coverage is being physical within five yards of the line of scrimmage with a receiver. It has nothing to do with Bradford being a threat, it's about countering the call. Teams will think twice about putting a QB wide if he keeps getting hit. Just because it's Sam Bradford doesn't suddenly mean he gets special treatment all of a sudden. You line up as a receiver and you're treated like a receiver.

The OL should stick up for their QB so I have no problem with that, I just don't think it was a dirty play. Was the intent to hit him? Absolutely. It's football.
You're missing my point. I never once said he "deserves special treatment because he's Sam Bradford". However I can tell you right now, the flag is thrown with Brady, Newton, Rodgers, etc. However my point is.....PETERSON WAS NOT IN PRESS!! He was backed way off and sprinted at Bradford to lay him out. That is NOT how press coverage works. If you believe thats how it works then I truly question your knowledge about the game of football. You never, EVER see CBs sprinting at WRs to jam them. They are flat footed or at times staggered. Not 8-10 yards off.

If you want to press the guy, then get up and press him!!! That is why I think it was a cheap shot. He could've went by it many different ways. And lets be smart about this here.....if Peterson was worried he would throw a flea flicker, wouldnt it be smarter for Peterson to be up in press so he's right there to make the tackle when he receives the ball?? Not 10 miles away getting a running start at the guy when he's completely standing still doing nothing. No less not even looking at him.

Its no different than a punter being at the 50 and the returner is 2 yards away from scoring and some meat head turns and blows him up. Thats a cheap shot!! And its uncalled for. Period
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

S197 wrote:I actually think it was a good call by the Cards. They basically said, if you're going to run the wildcat, then prepare for your quarterback to be hit. He just shoved him down, he didn't spear him. Like I said before, when Kaepernick was having huge success with the read option, the way it was finally countered was by continually hitting him whether he kept the ball or not because in that stance, he's no longer a QB. It's the same thing here. You line up as a receiver, you're treated as a receiver. You call read option, you're treated as a runner.
I agree, and I would have hit him a lot harder.
Yes.

Bring back the replacement Refs!!!!
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote:
No. Like I said, in now way, shape or form was Peterson playing "press" on Bradford. He had about a 8 yard head start to laying him out. That is not press coverage.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
No. Like I said, in now way, shape or form was Peterson playing "press" on Bradford. He had about a 8 yard head start to laying him out. That is not press coverage.[/quote]

Who cares, I'd have knocked his block off if they sent him out there again on the next play. Its called football. At least it used to be. :confused:

He went easy on him and just shoved him over instead of blasting him, probably because they were afraid Hill might come in and out perform Bradford.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote:
Who cares, I'd have knocked his block off if they sent him out there again on the next play. Its called football. At least it used to be. :confused:

He went easy on him and just shoved him over instead of blasting him, probably because they were afraid Hill might come in and out perform Bradford.
:roll: Yeah I'm sure that was it since Bradford has just played so bad this year. Good one. Whether he did it, you did it, or Santa Clause did it, I'm still going to sit here and say it was a cheap shot
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: :roll: Yeah I'm sure that was it since Bradford has just played so bad this year. Good one. Whether he did it, you did it, or Santa Clause did it, I'm still going to sit here and say it was a cheap shot
The game of football must be one big cheap shot...
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

fiestavike wrote: The game of football must be one big cheap shot...
....nope. Just a guy on an 8 yard sprint to hit a guy not involved in the play is one big cheap shot. But you were close
-Chazz Palminteri