Vikes-Cards ... The Good and The Bad

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Vikes-Cards ... The Good and The Bad

Post by Nunin »

Mothman wrote:I give up. My point's already been completely lost.
lol
i understood your point.
-
the injury issues with kalil and floyd have a marked effect on the percentage....but in a vaccum of just looking at how 1st rounders have panned out they really haven't.
--

also, in general to the posters, i asked about how many OL draft picks are still on the team that drafted them. not just in the first rd....any round.
i wonder which teams are near the top in that category and where the vikes fall compared to average? also how many picks of the vikes have found spots with other teams? vlad ducasse(sp) in chicago, for example.
i may look that up tonight when i have absolutely nothing to do but rap online~
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Nunin wrote: lol
i understood your point.
:banana:
the injury issues with kalil and floyd have a marked effect on the percentage....but in a vaccum of just looking at how 1st rounders have panned out they really haven't.
... and each time they don't, it's a real setback.
also, in general to the posters, i asked about how many OL draft picks are still on the team that drafted them. not just in the first rd....any round.
i wonder which teams are near the top in that category and where the vikes fall compared to average? also how many picks of the vikes have found spots with other teams? vlad ducasse(sp) in chicago, for example.
i may look that up tonight when i have absolutely nothing to do but rap online~
I'll be interested in what you find.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

My sniff test is that spielmans record is bad . Also, consider the fact that Kalil is still on the team but not due to accomplishment bu rather SPielmans stubbornness. He wont admit that the guy is a bust. No one on our OL would be a starter on any contender.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

chicagopurple wrote:My sniff test is that spielmans record is bad . Also, consider the fact that Kalil is still on the team but not due to accomplishment bu rather SPielmans stubbornness. He wont admit that the guy is a bust. No one on our OL would be a starter on any contender.
Funny you say that because I can 150% guarantee you he would start for Seattle and I would say they are a contender so you're wrong there. Boone and Berger could easily start as well. So....wrong again.

ALSO, how bad would you want Matt Kalil back right now? I sure as hell would. There isn't a GM out there that comes out and says "yeah that guy I picked is a bust" so I'm not sure where you're going with that one.

ALSO, do you realize that if we cut Kalil during his rookie contract we'd get hammered with dead money??

ALSO, since his rookie season, he'a dealt with a lot of injuries and played through them all except this year. It's definitely hampered his play

ALSO, as for Spielman, he'a put together one of the best defenses in the NFL. And please don't come back with "and one of the worst offenses in the NFL" because every one and there mother can tell you that this offense was murdered by injuries this year

But keep going with your post, the accuracy was on point :confused:
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:ALSO, as for Spielman, he'a put together one of the best defenses in the NFL. And please don't come back with "and one of the worst offenses in the NFL" because every one and there mother can tell you that this offense was murdered by injuries this year
It's been one of the worst offenses in the NFL for nearly 3 years. It's just even worse this year.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

yeah this offense under Zimmer has to be an historically bad 3 year stretch IMO.
-
the talent is there in droves....i think the talent plus norv just didn't add up.
the ongoing suckitude of the o-line hasn't helped....but musgrave did more with the same at o-line IMO.
-
norv turned out to be a bad hire afaic.....don't know if that is a zimmer error or fully on spielman
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: It's been one of the worst offenses in the NFL for nearly 3 years. It's just even worse this year.
What really bugs me is the Vikings are back in their "half a team" dynamic. It seems to happen frequently. Good defense/bad offense or good offense/bad defense. If these guys want to get into the Super Bowl, they have to field a more complete team.

BTW, that's not to say injuries didn't negatively affect the Vikings. Injuries always do that. It's the worst part of the game.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:What really bugs me is the Vikings are back in their "half a team" dynamic. It seems to happen frequently. Good defense/bad offense or good offense/bad defense. If these guys want to get into the Super Bowl, they have to field a more complete team.
It bugs me too. A lot. we've been watching that dynamic play out again and again for decades now. To me, it's no great feather in Rick Spielman's cap to build a top 10 defense when it comes at the expense of the offense falling to the bottom of the league.
BTW, that's not to say injuries didn't negatively affect the Vikings. Injuries always do that. It's the worst part of the game.
Agreed.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Mothman wrote: It's been one of the worst offenses in the NFL for nearly 3 years. It's just even worse this year.
Not sure if this entire post belongs in here or not but I'm going to post it anyways.

And we usually have the best run game in the NFL. We just haven't had the QB. When you lose everything plus the OL, what are we really expecting here?? You can't overcome this many injuries. You can sit there and give me the "depth" talk all you want but when you lose the two most key positions on the OL, a future HOF RB and a QB that has ran this offense for 3 years now, what do you really expect? Carson Wentz sitting behind Teddy?? Ezekiel Elliot sitting behind AP?? Jack Conklin and Ronnie Stanley sitting behind our tackles??

Here is what amazes me most......there are SO many on here to criticize our "OL scouting", Spielmans "questionable picks", all the guys that were on the "Waynes is a bust" bandwagon and have now moved onto the "Treadwell and Alexander are busts" bandwagon, the guys that say "shoulda went OL, shoulda went OL", etc.

Somebody please give me some insight on what YOU would have done if you were in his shoes given where we picked each year, money that could/couldnt be spent in FA, the talent in the draft, etc. I want to hear your take. Everyone loves to criticize but never has any of their own answers. Instead they just sit there and act like its so easy and they know what to do.

Lets layout the OL for the past 3 years. And lets especially focus on tackle since that's easily our biggest weakness right now. I'll just break down the first round for the most part since that's where the big time OTs usually are.

2014 OTs that were drafted AFTER where our first pick was (First round):

....we picked at #9 and selected Anthony Barr. Also slid back in at the end to select Teddy Bridgewater.

-Taylor Lewan drafted by the Titans 11th overall (solid pick and he has panned out over the years)

-Ju'Wuan James drafted by the Dolphins 19th overall (desperation pick by them because their OL was so bad. Guy had no right going in the first round and it's showed since)

ASSESSMENT: 1 good, 1 bad. Not much to choose from outside of that though. 2nd round was horrible. 2 taken and 2 bad.

KEEP IN MIND: if we took either of these two at #9, we currently wouldnt have Anthony Barr on our team and would have who knows what at SLB.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2015 OTs that were drafted AFTER where our first pick was (First round):

......we picked at #11 and selected Trae Waynes.

-Andrus Peat drafted by the Saints 13th overall (struggled in New Orleans and was beat out by Terron Armstead but is starting now due to injury. Has struggled this year)

-Cedric Ogbuehi drafted by the Bengals 21st overall (has been horrendous this year and was benched for Eric Winston)

-DJ Humphries drafted by the Cardinals 24th overall (has been blasted multiple times by his coach for lack of work ethic and was a healthy scratch all last season. Hasnt done much at all this season)

ASSESSMENT: Horrible class. Not a good one to choose from. 2nd round wasnt much better. 4 taken, only one worthwhile was Havenstein.

KEEP IN MIND: if we took either of these three at #11, we currently wouldnt have Trae Waynes on our team and would have who knows what backing up a 38 year old Newman at outside CB. Now Trae is pretty much the starter.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2016 OTs that were drafted AFTER where our first pick was (First round):

ZERO

ASSESSMENT: Very solid class but it wouldve taken a big time move to get up as high as we needed to. 1 OT went in the entire second round and he currently doesnt play for GB

KEEP IN MIND: Nothing. There was really no options for us at 23 unless we gave up the farm to move up.

......Overall, I'm counting TWO. I'll repeat that......TWO offensive tackles that have been worth it in the last 3 years in rounds 1-2. That makes up for 11 offensive tackles taken in the last 3 years between rounds 1-2.

Two of those 11 have panned out. Taylor Lewan and Rob Havenstein.

......2 for 11

So for everyone saying/acting like they know what we should've done given the picks we had, enlighten me on some better options here. I just laid the ground work. You can see it yourself that the OTs there when we picked have been extremely weak. In turn, it's not that easy. So say what you will about Waynes, Treadwell and Alexander. All I know is, there wasnt crap their for OL. Especially OTs which is what we needed most.

So hopefully I put the "Spielman has no clue how to scout OL, we shoulda drafted OL" somewhat to bed especially over the last 3 years because there are too many that are speaking before they actually think right now.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:
Somebody please give me some insight on what YOU would have done if you were in his shoes given where we picked each year, money that could/couldnt be spent in FA, the talent in the draft, etc. I want to hear your take. Everyone loves to criticize but never has any of their own answers. Instead they just sit there and act like its so easy and they know what to do.

I advocated signing Donald Penn as a stopgap and trading up to grab one of the top tackles in 2016. Its been time to move on from Kalil and Loadholt.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Not sure if this entire post belongs in here or not but I'm going to post it anyways.

And we usually have the best run game in the NFL. We just haven't had the QB. When you lose everything plus the OL, what are we really expecting here?? You can't overcome this many injuries.
... and you can't simply attribute bad offense to this year's injuries when the offense has been bad for years now and was bad from the start this year, even when healthy. What we expecting here? A more balanced team that doesn't have a bottom 6 offense, which is what the Vikes have had under Zimmer.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:So for everyone saying/acting like they know what we should've done given the picks we had, enlighten me on some better options here. I just laid the ground work. You can see it yourself that the OTs there when we picked have been extremely weak. In turn, it's not that easy. So say what you will about Waynes, Treadwell and Alexander. All I know is, there wasnt crap their for OL. Especially OTs which is what we needed most.

So hopefully I put the "Spielman has no clue how to scout OL, we shoulda drafted OL" somewhat to bed especially over the last 3 years because there are too many that are speaking before they actually think right now.
I appreciate the effort but that doesn't put the problem to bed for me.

The Vikings need a better offensive line, not just better offensive tackles and they didn't just have to look to the first round to get better. They have needed to upgrade the interior of their line since before Spielman even became the GM. They've had opportunities to do that and have passed on them too often. The complaint many of us have had for years remains perfectly legitimate: building a strong offensive line, as a whole and with solid depth has not been enough of a priority.

The bottom line is a years-old problem remains and has become steadily worse. It's a failure, pure and simple. There's no reason to excuse it or apologize for it. It just needs to be corrected.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Mothman wrote: I appreciate the effort but that doesn't put the problem to bed for me.

The Vikings need a better offensive line, not just better offensive tackles and they didn't just have to look to the first round to get better. They have needed to upgrade the interior of their line since before Spielman even became the GM. They've had opportunities to do that and have passed on them too often. The complaint many of us have had for years remains perfectly legitimate: building a strong offensive line, as a whole and with solid depth has not been enough of a priority.

The bottom line is a years-old problem remains and has become steadily worse. It's a failure, pure and simple. There's no reason to excuse it or apologize for it. It just needs to be corrected.
100% correct Jim. I don't see how anyone could argue against this point.

Three years under Mike Zimmer and we have not once had a total offensive rank above the 20s. Zimmer can't get a pass from me anymore - he needs to be held accountable for the offense's failure.

Unfortunately, I don't see a quick fix for this offensive line. We are stuck with a horrible player in Brandon Fusco for at least another season. Berger will be here one more season (which is ok). But, given the cap situation and the overall lack of talent in the FA pool - where are the upgrades going to come from this offseason? Hard to find instant starters on the line in the 2nd to 7th round.

Spielman and Zimmer have dug this grave. It will be on them to either lay down in it or climb out.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: I appreciate the effort but that doesn't put the problem to bed for me.

Amen.

Well said, Jim, and diplomatically and in a measured manner, per usual.

This FO has dones some things well; the OL is not one of them.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Berger and Boone are pretty solid starters for the most part. Fusco is terrible and Harris was way better but who knows whats going on with him. The tackles are hurt. I would say we needed OT more than anything since those were our glaring weaknesses. The post above literally proves that within the last three years, our options were extremely limited. I'm not sure what you're missing. Look deeper in the drafts if you want too. The tackle classes have not been good at all in the last 3 years outside of the early first round this past year. And to say they will pan out is even a question mark. Look at Kalil.

I've referred to the past 3 years. So what is your solution to the past 3 years?? It's easy to say we could have traded up in 2016 but like I said, the jury is still out on those guys. The free agents have been extremely limited. The draft picks haven't been good. You say it could've been fixed but how?? How with the picks and money we've had the past 3 years?? Granted we can go way back but as of late, which most people are talking about and referring to, there have been limited opportunities
-Chazz Palminteri