Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 11

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Cardinals @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 1

Post by Raptorman »

IrishViking wrote:
I thought the flea flicker was AFTER that play? :confused:
The Flea flicker was half way through the second quarter.(7:27) The penalty on Bradford 2/3 the way through the 3rd.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Nunin wrote: i think that's a bit of a misinterpretation of peterson's intent. the cards got burned on the fle flicker earlier and peterson was make sure to take that option off the table....i thought it was a heady play.
Go ask Alex Boone what he thinks of it. He said how he felt in his presser on vikings.com
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

lol
alex boone?
-
that guy needs to shut his piehole and perform. i'm way past tired of hearing that guy run his yap. seriously.
-
and I'm not laughing at you PHP, i'm laughing at boone. i disagree with him.
Peterson is 5x the player he is....and he is not a scumbag or dirty player.
YMMV
Rhodes Closed
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Rhodes Closed »

Eeeeeh, I kinda agree. Boone needs to take a lesson from Moss. Perform first, talk #### later.

I think while we did alright this game, we'll definitely have to work our #### off to get a victory in Detroit. We look to be improving day by day. But golly this O-Line is like paper. Aside from Berger (who's not necessarily that good in my eyes), the entire line needs an upgrade.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Nunin wrote:lol
alex boone?
-
that guy needs to shut his piehole and perform. i'm way past tired of hearing that guy run his yap. seriously.
-
and I'm not laughing at you PHP, i'm laughing at boone. i disagree with him.
Peterson is 5x the player he is....and he is not a scumbag or dirty player.
YMMV

This.

Boone fancies himself a well spoken and intelligent man, but he's far from it. All of those reporters putting a microphone in front of his mouth gave him delusions of grandeur, it seems.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

Texas Vike wrote:
This.

Boone fancies himself a well spoken and intelligent man, but he's far from it. All of those reporters putting a microphone in front of his mouth gave him delusions of grandeur, it seems.
he gives them what they want...
he hasn't been here a full season and he's been in the media spotlight, for his mouth, more than any other OL in team history IMO....
and it's arguably the worst o-line in team history too. go figure
-
on to detroit for me
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

He's defending his quarterback. Now all of the sudden he needs to shut his mouth?? He thought It was a cheap shot and I agree 100%. If someone does that to Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady....what happens? Not only is it all over ESPN but I guarantee at least 1 OL is saying something WHEN ASKED ABOUT IT. Boone didn't bring it up. The media did. What's he suppose to say?? "Oh yeah it was a great hit by him. Great job man"????

The fact that you're defending a guy that takes a shot at our QB and ripping a guy that defends him baffles me. Like I said, if that hit was made on one of the NFLs golden boys, it would be all over the media. Twice this year Rodgers has been hit late running into the endzone and his lineman have flipped. Are they wrong too? It's not like Boone is standing up announcing that he's going to kill Peterson. The media asked him and he said he didn't agree with it. I don't get how that is wrong?? This offensive line issue is far from being Boones fault. Him and Berger are the only ones worth a damn. And it doesn't help their cause when they have duds playing next to them.

Also, he's in the media spotlight more than anyone in team history??? The media approaches him and he jokes around and busts balls. He seems like a regular guy to me. You make him sound like some Manziel-esque media distraction that brings drama to the team. And if that's the case, I can say you couldn't be any further off
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:He's defending his quarterback. Now all of the sudden he needs to shut his mouth?? He thought It was a cheap shot and I agree 100%. If someone does that to Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady....what happens? Not only is it all over ESPN but I guarantee at least 1 OL is saying something WHEN ASKED ABOUT IT. Boone didn't bring it up. The media did. What's he suppose to say?? "Oh yeah it was a great hit by him. Great job man"????

The fact that you're defending a guy that takes a shot at our QB and ripping a guy that defends him baffles me. Like I said, if that hit was made on one of the NFLs golden boys, it would be all over the media. Twice this year Rodgers has been hit late running into the endzone and his lineman have flipped. Are they wrong too? It's not like Boone is standing up announcing that he's going to kill Peterson. The media asked him and he said he didn't agree with it. I don't get how that is wrong?? This offensive line issue is far from being Boones fault. Him and Berger are the only ones worth a damn. And it doesn't help their cause when they have duds playing next to them.

Also, he's in the media spotlight more than anyone in team history??? The media approaches him and he jokes around and busts balls. He seems like a regular guy to me. You make him sound like some Manziel-esque media distraction that brings drama to the team. And if that's the case, I can say you couldn't be any further off
OL should defend their QBs from cheap shots in the moment, on the field. I don't perceive this as a cheap shot at all. It was a legit play IMO, and one that I hope the Vikings would execute if the tables were turned. We got lucky to get the penalty called.

I like Boone just fine as a player; he's just lacking in discretion, so I take what he says with a grain of salt.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:He's defending his quarterback. Now all of the sudden he needs to shut his mouth?? He thought It was a cheap shot and I agree 100%. If someone does that to Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady....what happens? Not only is it all over ESPN but I guarantee at least 1 OL is saying something WHEN ASKED ABOUT IT. Boone didn't bring it up. The media did. What's he suppose to say?? "Oh yeah it was a great hit by him. Great job man"????

i'm not defending anyone....i'm disagreeing with your characterization that Peterson made a 'scumbag' play. i'm not talking about rodgers or brady here. was that your opinion or boone's? either way i disagree...take it for what it's worth and spare me the hyperbole...please.

as to boone...i don't care what boone says...period.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

While I don't think it was a scumbag play I certainly don't think its fair on the other end to call it a good/fair play.

Lets call it what it is; an attempt to knock the QB out of the game on a technically legal play. Peterson made the call in the moment to "attack" Bradford with the maximum amount of force he could that he didn't think would draw attention. Perfectly legal but clearly not a "high road" move.

He wasn't trying to take him out of the play, He wasn't trying to keep him from blocking, Bradford very clearly wasn't making a move for a flea flicker ( If he was really worried about a flea flicker jump the lateral and get a pick 6 ). This was Peterson going "hmm, I got a once a year legal shot at a QB lets see if I can make him hit his head or land on his wrist." By no means was he trying to kill him or permanently injure him but imo the clear intent on that play was to do as much damage as he could get away with and maybe force Hill into the game. Should the flag have been thrown? Probably not, I think it was a judgement call by the ref and we all know how weird those gets. Remember Johnson roughing the passer because "he drove with his shoulder" (read, fell down next to QB)?

It probably was something as asinine as Peterson's shove "follow through" that made it go from a play to penalty.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I actually think it was a good call by the Cards. They basically said, if you're going to run the wildcat, then prepare for your quarterback to be hit. He just shoved him down, he didn't spear him. Like I said before, when Kaepernick was having huge success with the read option, the way it was finally countered was by continually hitting him whether he kept the ball or not because in that stance, he's no longer a QB. It's the same thing here. You line up as a receiver, you're treated as a receiver. You call read option, you're treated as a runner.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

well, here's my final take on it. Bradford could see peterson coming the whole way....if that dummy gets knocked out of the game from a telegraphed hit he is taking, face on, by a guy roughly the same size as him...it's his own fault and the coaches fault for putting him out there with that mentality in the first place.
peterson and the whole cardinal team may very well have been frustrated...their season on the line, getting burned once already by sam in the wildcat, and the simple fact that when peterson lines up he is covering bradford, which effectively takes him out of the play to begin with.

it's reasonable to conclude that peterson was attempting to take sam out of the play entirely....to suggest he was trying to take him out of the game is a reach, given the circumstances pointed out in the beginning of this post.

PHP...don't take my back and forth with you personally, please. i dig your input and passion...i'm just having what i would call a weird day. :|

on to detroit :rock:
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

I don't disagree it was the smart play but I personally think a lot of you sitting in your armchairs puffing your pipes huffing "good play, thats football, as God intended, right-ho, what what, jolly good show"

Would be absolutely livid if Sam had broken his wrist or even just twinged it which is basically, the exact Hail Mary Peterson was throwing to God when he put hands on Bradford.

I get you have to be aware when you are on the field. There is a difference between, accepting being hit while running a play (Which is what Bradford does every time he steps onto the field as a QB) and Standing up 4 yards behind the line scrimmage and getting rushed.

Its Sam freaking bradford, He isn't getting the ball, period. If you get between him and the non QB ball holder, he is out of the play and you can do a variety of other things. Intercept, sack, TFL, etc It was a waste of precious time to "run" him down and push him the only reason to do so was the gamble of a longer term "dividend.

Either way, it wasn't an inherently "dirty" play I don't think less of the Cardinals for doing it, it IS football after all. But it certainly wasn't outside the realm of reason to expect a flag to be thrown when one player charges another player who is standing vertical, not participating in the play, and forcibly shoves them to the ground. Especially in today's game full of concussion protocols. The NFL wants to eliminate literally every single unnecessary contact between players.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Nunin wrote:well, here's my final take on it. Bradford could see peterson coming the whole way....if that dummy gets knocked out of the game from a telegraphed hit he is taking, face on, by a guy roughly the same size as him...it's his own fault and the coaches fault for putting him out there with that mentality in the first place.
peterson and the whole cardinal team may very well have been frustrated...their season on the line, getting burned once already by sam in the wildcat, and the simple fact that when peterson lines up he is covering bradford, which effectively takes him out of the play to begin with.

it's reasonable to conclude that peterson was attempting to take sam out of the play entirely....to suggest he was trying to take him out of the game is a reach, given the circumstances pointed out in the beginning of this post.

PHP...don't take my back and forth with you personally, please. i dig your input and passion...i'm just having what i would call a weird day. :|

on to detroit :rock:
No problem brother! The way I look at it is, why aren't corners doing that to all WRs. We run quick screens to CP and Diggs a lot so why aren't guys running up to them and blowing them up? I just thought it was pretty uncalled for. There was no need for it. And I believe Boone said what he had to say when asked about it. No OL is going to sit there and say that was a heady play.

I don't take what you said personally at all man. We're all good :rock:
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

IrishViking wrote:While I don't think it was a scumbag play I certainly don't think its fair on the other end to call it a good/fair play.

Lets call it what it is; an attempt to knock the QB out of the game on a technically legal play. Peterson made the call in the moment to "attack" Bradford with the maximum amount of force he could that he didn't think would draw attention. Perfectly legal but clearly not a "high road" move.

He wasn't trying to take him out of the play, He wasn't trying to keep him from blocking, Bradford very clearly wasn't making a move for a flea flicker ( If he was really worried about a flea flicker jump the lateral and get a pick 6 ). This was Peterson going "hmm, I got a once a year legal shot at a QB lets see if I can make him hit his head or land on his wrist." By no means was he trying to kill him or permanently injure him but imo the clear intent on that play was to do as much damage as he could get away with and maybe force Hill into the game. Should the flag have been thrown? Probably not, I think it was a judgement call by the ref and we all know how weird those gets. Remember Johnson roughing the passer because "he drove with his shoulder" (read, fell down next to QB)?

It probably was something as asinine as Peterson's shove "follow through" that made it go from a play to penalty.

This is how I view it as well. Just uncalled for IMO. I don't think it was to "take Sam out of the play". It was more, take a free shot at him
-Chazz Palminteri