Top 10 graded PFF players of the week

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Top 10 graded PFF players of the week

Post by Thaumaturgist »

Texas Vike wrote: What an odd couple! One arrived as an UDFA with virtually zero "reputation capital". The other came via a first round pick that actually entailed four total picks and huge expectations to be the next big thing. But you're right, they both give 100% all the time. I suspect that Thielen's "I'll do anything to help the team" approach was absorbed by Patterson. How fun would it be to have a beer with these two?
That'd be awesome!

I've been a huge fan of Thielen, and I've rooted for CP just as well. CP seems like the kind of guy who does what he's asked, and doesn't complain. They both give everything they've got. What more can you ask for?
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Did Charles Johnson even play any offensive snaps?? I saw Treadwell a few times. I don't remember seeing Johnson. If so, thats a good thing. Roll with Diggs, Thielen, CP and Treadwell. They are far and away better than Johnson
Johnson has gotten zero snaps the last 2 games
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

UKno1VIKING wrote: agreed. you could say that with the talent we have at the skill positions, it points even more towards our lines inability to block in recent weeks. And the coaches for not managing the scenario correctly.
The receivers we currently have as a group, are the best i've seen at club for a long long time.
absolutely!
get em on the field and spread out these defenses~
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Barr's main strength is the amount of ground he can cover. There's very few linebackers that can start in the A-gap and have the athleticism to drop out and cover a RB in the flat. His tackling needs some work but he makes those disguised blitzes easier since he can cover so much ground.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Since we're on the subject of grades, check out this incredibly interesting article featuring analysis by ESPN's Matt Bowen of the play that led to Xavier Rhodes' pick-six. He grades the Vikings execution as "almost perfect."

For those of you who haven't yet become fans of Andrew Sendejo, check this out.
Matt Bowen of ESPN wrote:"The first thing here is the safety play -- look at Sendejo, look at his technique," Bowen said. "That's perfect. He stays square, gets into his pedal, and he opens his hips to [Larry] Fitzgerald. He's anticipating the dig route, or the square-in. That's exactly what you want, because now he's in a position where if they throw that ball, that's a pick, too."
And of course, there's Harrison Smith.
Matt Bowen of ESPN wrote:"For young safeties to study, if you watch Harrison Smith, he's going before the ball is even out," Bowen said. "Go find work. I always say that to my high school DBs -- go find work. If you stay square, if you're Harrison Smith, and you're reading the quarterback, you're doing your job. That's what the chalkboard says to do. But the next step to become a productive football player at any level is, 'Look -- the quarterback's eyes are to the open side of the formation. I'm going.' Who knows what happens? He's trying to find an area where he can make a play. And that's important.

"To me, young safeties don't do that. They do their job, 'Alignment and assignment, I'm good.' The next step is, 'How do I start making plays.' Watch Harrison Smith. That's one of the ways you do it. You start anticipating and saying, 'Hey -- this is where the football is going. I'm going to be aggressive, I'm going to help my teammates and hopefully, I'm going to go make a play.' That's making the scheme more aggressive. It's not anymore just a chalkboard defense."
I love in-depth articles like this. An entire article analyzing ONE PLAY. So cool.

Our defense has the ability to do great things. We've seen that. Somehow, the offense needs to find a way to consistently do enough to get us over the top.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

I think it was a good no call too, captain has every right to that space as Brown who runs directly into him. Brown makes no effort to release, he just drives captain back not even looking for the ball.