Wildcat

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Wildcat

Post by autobon7 »

Laserman wrote:The game has passed Norv By like it did Shula, Landry, Schottenheimer, Parcells ect ect ect. It happens. Old school finally becomes "Old school" and won't work with bigger, faster players.
Good point....I'd like to add my theory about OL injuries throughout the league. In regards to all players/all positions being bigger and more athletic the OL roll has changed dramatically compared to the 70s and 80s. They didn't used to do nearly as many crazy schemes asking as much out of the OL as they do now-a-days. Agree/disagree?
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

5thWave wrote:I'm pretty sure they'll coach Bradford to run straight out of bounds from now on out of this formation. Then one day, McKinnon will sweep, stand up, and throw to a wide open Sam in the endzone.
And in this dream of yours, will he catch it?
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Purple Martin wrote: And in this dream of yours, will he catch it?

Why wouldn't he? Sam has never dropped a Pass as a receiver in the NFL. "Sure-Hand Sam"
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Wildcat will only work as the occasional trick play. As soon as a team starts using it in a predictable fashion, a decent NFL Defense will tear it apart (and likely the QB too). BUT, desperate times call for desperate measures, right?
Crax
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Crax »

I'm ok with it, but I do think Jet needs to be more willing to hand it off. He kept one for no yards with an option to Patterson. I can't remember at the moment, but it feels like he's kept it almost every single time. I think if you're going to do it, you have to make them guess.(I'm not counting the trick play as that was designed, more when the option is keep it or give, Jet pretty much always keeps it)
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Purple Martin wrote: And in this dream of yours, will he catch it?
In that scenario it wouldn't matter if he catches it or not. If he runs out of bounds first he is no longer eligible to catch a pass. :lol:
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Crax wrote:I'm ok with it, but I do think Jet needs to be more willing to hand it off. He kept one for no yards with an option to Patterson. I can't remember at the moment, but it feels like he's kept it almost every single time. I think if you're going to do it, you have to make them guess.(I'm not counting the trick play as that was designed, more when the option is keep it or give, Jet pretty much always keeps it)

I agree with this.
The-Purple-Reign
Starter

Post by The-Purple-Reign »

The offensive game plan needed some pepper to throw the defense off guard. The wildcat worked nicely for that reason. More pepper varieties and our O will get better. Kinda what we need at this point.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

autobon7 wrote: I like it.....however SB needed more arm into that throw. It all worked out with the PI call though. Just would have been nice to complete that would be TD.
In Bradford's defense, he was moving to his left AND drifting slightly away from the line of scrimmage. The throw was totally against his body. If they would have designed the play exactly opposite, so Sam would have been moving to his right, I'd bet he would have gotten the ball to Thielen (who was wide open, by the way).
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

IrishViking wrote:
Why wouldn't he? Sam has never dropped a Pass as a receiver in the NFL. "Sure-Hand Sam"
Has he ever caught one that he didn't throw to himself? :D
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.