AD

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: AD

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: He owes them no more than they owe him and I don't think their loyalty to him has ever extended beyond their own business and football interests.

Peterson's not in a position to take the best offer the market puts on the table unless the Vikings cut him. I doubt he'll be overly unreasonable about a renegotiation. I'm sure he and his representatives understand it's necessary. As I've said many times, it was clear when his current deal was signed that it was essentially a 2 year deal. Everyone involved knows he's not getting $18 million to play next year. How much he will want is purely a matter of conjecture but I suspect his representatives will also advise him that at his age, coming off a serious injury, the market will be limited.

It's up to the Vikes to make a reasonable offer if they want him to renegotiate and it's up to him to be reasonable in return. I think they do owe each other that much. If they can't come to terms it will be a shame.
We see it pretty differently then.

For one, I think few clubs would have stuck by AD like the Vikings did, especially given the huge amount of money that we paid him even though he wasn't helping the team to win (and he certainly didn't help the image of the team through the scandal either). Did we the Vikings do it because they believed it was in their best interest? Yes, of course. It's a business.

My read of this situation is that AD is going to overvalue his services; he doesn't strike me as a very self aware individual, and I think he has a very inflated idea of what he's going to be able to do as he gets into his early to mid thirties. I am surprised to read that you doubt he'll be overly unreasonable: what about him gives you that impression? Everything I've read about the guy points in the exact opposite direction.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:We see it pretty differently then.

For one, I think few clubs would have stuck by AD like the Vikings did, especially given the huge amount of money that we paid him even though he wasn't helping the team to win (and he certainly didn't help the image of the team through the scandal either). Did we the Vikings do it because they believed it was in their best interest? Yes, of course. It's a business.
... and that's why I think most teams would have stuck with him. It was a good business choice for the Vikings. That said, they barely stuck by him at all in 2014, giving in easily to Goodell's suspension shenanigans and supposedly even having some people work with the league against him behind the scenes. That's why he he was reluctant to return in 2013.

He was a big PR black eye to them that year too, of course.

Sticking with him through injuries has been to their overall benefit thus far and paying him during injured seasons wasn't really a choice.
My read of this situation is that AD is going to overvalue his services; he doesn't strike me as a very self aware individual, and I think he has a very inflated idea of what he's going to be able to do as he gets into his early to mid thirties. I am surprised to read that you doubt he'll be overly unreasonable: what about him gives you that impression? Everything I've read about the guy points in the exact opposite direction.
I just doubt he or his representatives (who I think will be key) will be unrealistic enough to believe he's going to get paid $18 million next season and I think they will understand that he's going to have to restructure for considerably less or take considerably less elsewhere. I don't expect them to just accept a lowball offer but if the Vikes make a fair offer, I expect we'll see a good faith negotiation from both sides, especially because his best offer is likely to come from the Vikings. It might get a little tricky or contentious but I think they'll be able to get something done.

I don't feel Peterson has actually overvalued his services up to this point. Obviously, nobody foresaw his injury this season and I understand that, in comparative terms, he makes far more than most RBs but his value to this particular franchise has been atypical, right up until this season and considering the current state of their running game and offense, it sure looks like they miss him. They paid him very well last year, leaned on him heavily and he helped them win an NFC North title by leading the league in rushing and making up for a lot of shortcomings on offense. He was absolutely key to their success, as he was in his MVP season, the only other year they've made the playoffs since 2009.

I don't know how much they should be willing to pay him going forward. It should certainly be less than this season, especially since he missed a great deal of time with an injury again. I'm just not as cynical about this as most Vikes fans seem to be, probably because I believe it's in the best interest of both parties to arrive at a reasonable compromise.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:
I don't know how much they should be willing to pay him going forward. It should certainly be less than this season, especially since he missed a great deal of time with an injury again. I'm just not as cynical about this as most Vikes fans seem to be, probably because I believe it's in the best interest of both parties to arrive at a reasonable compromise.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my cynicism is rooted more in a feeling that AD's peeps are not likely to be realistic.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:
I can't speak for anyone else, but my cynicism is rooted more in a feeling that AD's peeps are not likely to be realistic.
Well, I certainly can't say you're wrong about that. I just don't know. I'm hoping reason will prevail but I certainly see the possibility that Peterson and his agent will be wholly unreasonable about this, that ego will get in the way and the whole thing will end badly. It will be a shame if it goes that way but I understand your cynicism on this topic.

My advice to the Vikings is make a decent offer and include an option that allows him to ride a camel. ;)

That's not helping my position that reason will prevail, is it? :tongue: