AD

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: AD

Post by mansquatch »

Their cap situation should improve. Walsh is out. Kalil is going to get a more team friendly deal. (maybe) Fusco will likely be asked to alter his contract.

AP is most definitely going to have a far lower cap number. The question is how much will he accept vs. the reality of what he is worth. Dallas is not going to pay him now that they have their new star. So who is going to cut a big check for him?

CP84 is another, very interesting contract. I think he is gone for more oppotunity unless something changes. The Pat Schurmer change seems to have helped, but it still isn't like it was with Musgrave.

Plenty more on this topic. Plenty.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

mansquatch wrote:Their cap situation should improve. Walsh is out. Kalil is going to get a more team friendly deal. (maybe) Fusco will likely be asked to alter his contract.

AP is most definitely going to have a far lower cap number. The question is how much will he accept vs. the reality of what he is worth. Dallas is not going to pay him now that they have their new star. So who is going to cut a big check for him?

CP84 is another, very interesting contract. I think he is gone for more oppotunity unless something changes. The Pat Schurmer change seems to have helped, but it still isn't like it was with Musgrave.

I'm hoping they can work with AP. I think he still has tread on his tires and is a leader for this team. I would just move on from Kalil the turnstile and CO84 and his total apathy as a blocker.
mael·strom

a powerful whirlpool in the sea or a river.

a situation or state of confused movement or violent turmoil.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

mansquatch wrote:Their cap situation should improve. Walsh is out. Kalil is going to get a more team friendly deal. (maybe) Fusco will likely be asked to alter his contract.

If I'm reading it right, Walsh will count $1.65 million against the cap next year. Not a crippling hit by any means.

Funny how good Kalil is starting to look right now, compared to what we're running out there at tackle. Matt Kalil, even at his below-average level of 2015, would be a major upgrade for us at this point. That being said, I hope the Vikings make a major play for an impact left tackle, as well as depth and talent across the front. With a reasonably decent O-line, this team would be scary.

Definitely agree on AP. He's going to have to accept a much smaller number if he wants to play at all. It's a stinky way for his Vikings career to wind down, if that's what ends up happening, but a 32-year-old running back coming off a season on IR can't expect to make huge bank. The fan base loves him, but this is still a business.

I really hope Shurmur ramps up the usage of CP84, and that the Vikings make a big play to keep him. I really like him. There's a fire burning in him right now that I haven't seen in quite awhile, and it just feels like when this guy totally figures it out, he's going to tear up the league. He's closer than ever. Seriously hoping they start using him down the field more, instead of just bubble screens and gadget plays. He looks poised to become a good all-around receiver.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:Definitely agree on AP. He's going to have to accept a much smaller number if he wants to play at all. It's a stinky way for his Vikings career to wind down, if that's what ends up happening, but a 32-year-old running back coming off a season on IR can't expect to make huge bank. The fan base loves him, but this is still a business.
It's painful for me to think of AD not being on the team but you're so right about it being a business. The Vikings are going to need money for building up other parts of the team as well. They can ill afford to overspend on Peterson at this point in his career. I really hate saying that. :(
J. Kapp 11 wrote:I really hope Shurmur ramps up the usage of CP84, and that the Vikings make a big play to keep him. I really like him. There's a fire burning in him right now that I haven't seen in quite awhile, and it just feels like when this guy totally figures it out, he's going to tear up the league. He's closer than ever. Seriously hoping they start using him down the field more, instead of just bubble screens and gadget plays. He looks poised to become a good all-around receiver.
I completely agree. The Vikings really need to get this guy re-signed. Patterson loves playing and he goes all out whether it's on special teams as a returner or gunner, or if he's playing offense. He definitely could and should be doing a lot more as a WR. He's still only 25 years old so he has plenty of good years ahead, and I doubt he'd be all that expensive. Patterson has stated he wants to remain with the Vikings.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: If I'm reading it right, Walsh will count $1.65 million against the cap next year. Not a crippling hit by any means.

Funny how good Kalil is starting to look right now, compared to what we're running out there at tackle. Matt Kalil, even at his below-average level of 2015, would be a major upgrade for us at this point. That being said, I hope the Vikings make a major play for an impact left tackle, as well as depth and talent across the front. With a reasonably decent O-line, this team would be scary.

Definitely agree on AP. He's going to have to accept a much smaller number if he wants to play at all. It's a stinky way for his Vikings career to wind down, if that's what ends up happening, but a 32-year-old running back coming off a season on IR can't expect to make huge bank. The fan base loves him, but this is still a business.

I really hope Shurmur ramps up the usage of CP84, and that the Vikings make a big play to keep him. I really like him. There's a fire burning in him right now that I haven't seen in quite awhile, and it just feels like when this guy totally figures it out, he's going to tear up the league. He's closer than ever. Seriously hoping they start using him down the field more, instead of just bubble screens and gadget plays. He looks poised to become a good all-around receiver.

Vikings should have cap space...But can they sign the right guys? That remains to be seen. We're talking already about a complete overhaul of an entire position group. Maybe they keep Berger, he's been decent, so we're talking 4 new starters. Not just 4 new starters are needed though, but 4 starters who will also be upgrades. Daunting, but not impossible, however it's a very painstaking process given the entirety of the roster outside the OL group is in their prime and more than capable talent that is ready to make a run right now. Not much room for error. I'd settle for lightning in a bottle if it means a Super Bowl.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

AD has been paid nearly $22,000 per yard rushing over the past 3 years.... Per Yard !!!
His salary has to be reworked...
Someone mentioned the great RB class in the draft this year. We need to land one !
Anyways, we definitely need to bring in better OL. Guys that better fit Shurmur's offense going forward.
I think that we have Boone as 1 OG but finding other pieces will be a priority. Maybe a restructured Kalil can move to RT ?
Harris... will he be back?

Lots of questions and right now we're being exposed for all of the shortcomings of this team.
Really think that Spielman should be watching his back. This is the team that he built and signed.
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/cap/2017/

spotrac is estimating the Vikings will have a little over 13.5 million in cap space next year. What has to be considered is AD and Sam Bradford will county for 35 million in cap space. Including teddy bridgewater the vikings will have almost 20 million tied up in the quarterback position. This doesn't include any future contracts or trying to resign Kalil or Munnerlyn (whom I think they desperately need to resign). This also doesn't include cutting someone like Shariff Floyd who would free up about 7 million in cap space or Jarius Wright who would save about 1.5 million in cap space.

Now 2017 won't have a lot of free agent lineman worth looking at. One person they might want to take a look at is Ron Leary out of Dallas, he could replace Fusco. Most teams should have plenty of room to sign their own free agents and overpay for existing UFA, but the Vikings would be at the bottom of the league in cap space for 2017 in their current predicament. Maybe the Vikings even looking at trading AD to Cleveland for Joe Thomas. Cleveland has plenty of Cap space to absorb AD's contract.
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

MrPurplenGold wrote: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/cap/2017/

spotrac is estimating the Vikings will have a little over 13.5 million in cap space next year. What has to be considered is AD and Sam Bradford will county for 35 million in cap space. Including teddy bridgewater the vikings will have almost 20 million tied up in the quarterback position. This doesn't include any future contracts or trying to resign Kalil or Munnerlyn (whom I think they desperately need to resign). This also doesn't include cutting someone like Shariff Floyd who would free up about 7 million in cap space or Jarius Wright who would save about 1.5 million in cap space.

Now 2017 won't have a lot of free agent lineman worth looking at. One person they might want to take a look at is Ron Leary out of Dallas, he could replace Fusco. Most teams should have plenty of room to sign their own free agents and overpay for existing UFA, but the Vikings would be at the bottom of the league in cap space for 2017 in their current predicament. Maybe the Vikings even looking at trading AD to Cleveland for Joe Thomas. Cleveland has plenty of Cap space to absorb AD's contract.
I can't see a straight up AD for Thomas trade. I think Thomas has more high production years left on him than AD.
mael·strom

Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

i can't see anyone crazy enough to eat AD's contract.
He's gotta come way down to earth moneywise...he owes them something in that regard IMO. They've done right by him to this point.
-
I wouldn't count on re-signing Kalil. I think the guys only healthy year was his first. If they do, hopefully it's on the cheap...and a significant restructure for Fusco too.
-
Maelstrom88
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Maelstrom88 »

Nunin wrote:i can't see anyone crazy enough to eat AD's contract.
He's gotta come way down to earth moneywise...he owes them something in that regard IMO. They've done right by him to this point.
-
I wouldn't count on re-signing Kalil. I think the guys only healthy year was his first. If they do, hopefully it's on the cheap...and a significant restructure for Fusco too.
-
Yeah I really would rather just move on from Kalil. He is chronically injured and I can't see that changing in the future.
mael·strom

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Nunin wrote:i can't see anyone crazy enough to eat AD's contract.
-
-

My gut tells me that AD doesn't think he owes us anything and he's going to take the best contract that the market puts on the table. Our commitment to him through injuries and the suspension, etc. will vanish and a Vikings legend's legacy will be tarnished forever. Sorry to be so cynical, but that's my read.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

^ Hard to say and you could be right. He's seemed like a gracious Viking though through the thick and thin (minus the small blip during his legal issues where he seemed to be disappointed with how Vikings fans reacted -- so maybe not just small blip?)

I think the big thing is the teams in the race to sign him and by that I truly do mean in the race. Super Bowl contention will obviously play a part and despite what is happening with the Vikes season right now, Minnesota -- with the Super Bowl on deck in their own home next season -- might still be the place he wants to be if he hopes to accomplish that.

Regardless, I firmly believe his contract will not remain the same whether he's a Viking or not.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:My gut tells me that AD doesn't think he owes us anything and he's going to take the best contract that the market puts on the table. Our commitment to him through injuries and the suspension, etc. will vanish and a Vikings legend's legacy will be tarnished forever. Sorry to be so cynical, but that's my read.
He owes them no more than they owe him and I don't think their loyalty to him has ever extended beyond their own business and football interests.

Peterson's not in a position to take the best offer the market puts on the table unless the Vikings cut him. I doubt he'll be overly unreasonable about a renegotiation. I'm sure he and his representatives understand it's necessary. As I've said many times, it was clear when his current deal was signed that it was essentially a 2 year deal. Everyone involved knows he's not getting $18 million to play next year. How much he will want is purely a matter of conjecture but I suspect his representatives will also advise him that at his age, coming off a serious injury, the market will be limited.

It's up to the Vikes to make a reasonable offer if they want him to renegotiate and it's up to him to be reasonable in return. I think they do owe each other that much. If they can't come to terms it will be a shame.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

Texas Vike wrote:
My gut tells me that AD doesn't think he owes us anything and he's going to take the best contract that the market puts on the table. Our commitment to him through injuries and the suspension, etc. will vanish and a Vikings legend's legacy will be tarnished forever. Sorry to be so cynical, but that's my read.
that's my first feeling too, but i'm open to being surprised. i think he still has good yardage left and would like to see him stay.
Nunin
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Nunin »

Mothman wrote: He owes them no more than they owe him and I don't think their loyalty to him has ever extended beyond their own business and football interests.

Peterson's not in a position to take the best offer the market puts on the table unless the Vikings cut him. I doubt he'll be overly unreasonable about a renegotiation. I'm sure he and his representatives understand it's necessary. As I've said many times, it was clear when his current deal was signed that it was essentially a 2 year deal. Everyone involved knows he's not getting $18 million to play next year. How much he will want is purely a matter of conjecture but I suspect his representatives will also advise him that at his age, coming off a serious injury, the market will be limited.

It's up to the Vikes to make a reasonable offer if they want him to renegotiate and it's up to him to be reasonable in return. I think they do owe each other that much. If they can't come to terms it will be a shame.
what's a reasonable offer to you?
i really don't know....but i think $10mil is too much.
i think the sides owe it to eachother to be reasonable, i just think the team has to be serious about the longer term cap situation vs the shorter term butt in the set factor of AD. so, hopefully they aren't too far apart on the reasonable factor.