2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transactions)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Re: 2016 Vikings Free Agency Thread (News, Rumors, Transacti

Post by halfgiz »

Plenty of speculation already about whether the #Vikings could go after Christine Michael.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

halfgiz wrote:Plenty of speculation already about whether the #Vikings could go after Christine Michael.
Seen plenty of him to know he's no answer...Not to mention that the RB spot isn't the issue. Not sure what people don't understand. Every one of their RB's are serviceable, if not more (looking at McKinnon here), but lest we forget that even in the small sample we saw with Peterson in game 1, this team could have ______ (insert your opinion of the most dominant RB ever) as their RB and it probably won't matter a whole lot. The Vikings just cannot block. Pretty much clear as day to me.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Vikings Sign Tackle Rashod Hill, Place Jake Long on IR
The Vikings on Tuesday announced they have signed tackle Rashod Hill and placed Jake Long on injured reserve.

Hill, who joined Jacksonville as a rookie free agent in May, was signed off the Jaguars practice squad to Minnesota’s 53-man roster. He spent one game this season on the active roster of his hometown team but did not play against Baltimore.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

halfgiz wrote:Plenty of speculation already about whether the #Vikings could go after Christine Michael.
With what cap room exactly? I would rather just give Ronnie Hillman a chance.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote: With what cap room exactly? I would rather just give Ronnie Hillman a chance.
I would love to see Hillman get more touches.....could be a good thing.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

autobon7 wrote: I would love to see Hillman get more touches.....could be a good thing.
That quote was from Chris Tomasson on Christine Michael.
I agree Hillman or CJ Ham is who I would like to see. Ham as a short yardage back.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Christine Michael

Post by Norv Zimmer »

The Seahawks just cut him, I for one think he would be a upgrade to our craptastic running game. I wonder how long it would take him to get a hold of the system.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Seriously, guys...Christine Micheal is nothing special. Michael needs clear holes to run through in order to be just minimally effective and the Vikings Oline cannot provide that. Hillman is much better.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

PacificNorseWest wrote:Seriously, guys...Christine Micheal is nothing special. Michael needs clear holes to run through in order to be just minimally effective and the Vikings Oline cannot provide that. Hillman is much better.
He was running behind Seattles terrible O line, I think it is almost as bad as ours and he did pretty good for them.

I agree I would like to see CJ ham in the game for short yardage instead of Asiata, that dude is like a little bowling ball.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Packers have claimed RB Christine Michael off waivers, source says.
1:17 PM - 16 Nov 2016

#Vikings did put in a waiver claim for Christine Michael but Packers got him since they have a worse record. twitter.com/christomasson/…
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

I agree with many that Christine Michael wouldn't have helped our running game very much since our problems start at the OL. But he is going to big upgrade for the Packers and i expect he will be well acclimated by the time we go to Lambeau. Oh well.
Formerly AADPFan
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Grashopa wrote:I agree with many that Christine Michael wouldn't have helped our running game very much since our problems start at the OL. But he is going to big upgrade for the Packers and i expect he will be well acclimated by the time we go to Lambeau. Oh well.
A big upgrade over the practice squad scrubs we have been trotting out recently, but hopefully he doesnt take too many carries away from a returning Starks.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Grashopa wrote:I agree with many that Christine Michael wouldn't have helped our running game very much since our problems start at the OL. But he is going to big upgrade for the Packers and i expect he will be well acclimated by the time we go to Lambeau. Oh well.
Disagree completely. As someone said above, he ran very well behind the next worse line in the NFL in Seattle. That line is so bad it could give us a run for our money. Michael is a fast, straight line runner that is elusive and has good vision (unlike Asiata) and hits the hole at full speed (unlike McKinnon). Granted the line isnt helping our cause but does anyone believe that even behind Dallas' line, Matt Asiata could run for 100 and a TD....no. Absolutely not. The guy has no right being an NFL RB. And Mckinnon just doesnt have the downhill running style that is required to be a workhorse. I've said all along that Hillman needs to see more action. I want to puke more and more when I see Asiata run the ball
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Michael is a fast, straight line runner that is elusive and has good vision (unlike Asiata) and hits the hole at full speed (unlike McKinnon)
The very same description could be used to describe Peterson, who also struggled mightily behind our O-line when it was at its healthiest. Havent you been watching the games this season? all of our backs no matter if they are future hall of famers, Superbowl champions or nicknamed "Jet" are getting hit in the back field or running into piles of bodies where the hole should be. It looks like an O-line problem to me. Put any of our backs behind the Dallas line where they can run through gaping holes and not even get touched until they are 3-5 yards downfield and see how they look... probably more Elliot like.

My main point was that Michael will be a much bigger improvement over the packers bottom of the barrel RBs than he would be over our stable of otherwise good RBs
Formerly AADPFan
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Grashopa wrote: The very same description could be used to describe Peterson, who also struggled mightily behind our O-line when it was at its healthiest. Havent you been watching the games this season? all of our backs no matter if they are future hall of famers, Superbowl champions or nicknamed "Jet" are getting hit in the back field or running into piles of bodies where the hole should be. It looks like an O-line problem to me. Put any of our backs behind the Dallas line where they can run through gaping holes and not even get touched until they are 3-5 yards downfield and see how they look... probably more Elliot like.

My main point was that Michael will be a much bigger improvement over the packers bottom of the barrel RBs than he would be over our stable of otherwise good RBs
But they aren't losing yards nearly as much as they were in the beginning of the season. I admitted the line is awful. But our RBs aren't getting tackled in the backfield nearly as much as they were. We have a combination of a fullback in Asiata and somebody thats overly patient in McKinnon. They couldn't hit hole if it was the size of a bus. We have nobody with any kind of elusiveness and speed to hit the line. Asiata hits it 100 mph but has no clue where he's going and McKinnon stops and sits. How is it possible for Seattles line to be so bad and Michael running as good as he was? It doesnt add up. Anytime Hillman has been in, he's been getting positive yards for the most part. Nobody else is and Hillman is a average to below average back but has the right running style. The other two don't. Michael wouldnt fix this running game completely, but I could see him making it a lot better. Thats why I'm baffled that Asiata continues to run the ball and Hillman doesnt.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri