Vikings @ Redskins Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 10

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

tmscr
Transition Player

Re: Vikings @ Redskins Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 10

Post by tmscr »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Yeah 11 TDs and 2 INTs....real dud :roll:

What are you expecting out of him with no running game and a horrid OL??
Yep, Sam has done as much as he can with what he's been given. His biggest negative is a lack of mobility which we all knew about coming in. The continued inability to convert high percentage short yardage situations says all you need to know about our running game. The only reason we've been in these past two games is because of what Sam has been able to do. Factor in the unknown with teddys future and it was still a good move to get him.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

tmscr wrote:
Mortal would be putting it lightly. They looked soft and average AT BEST. The tackling was terrible and has been since the bears game. Obviously the injuries have cut in to their depth and guys are playing more snaps than they did earlier in the year. They looked gassed, partly because the offense has incredibly short drives. But Robert Kelly aka "fat rob" can't be gashing your for 5+ yards on first down runs. Overall they look tired and are clearly devoid of any of the confidence they displayed earlier. I'm really unsure of Zimmer's ability to get the mental aspect of this corrected. They've come out so flat it's very alarming.
I agree that they've lost their confidence. They seemed to intimidate foes earlier in the year; no longer. They went from elite to mediocre and it's certainly a concern.

Something I noticed is that they seemed to play less press-man coverage today. There were times when WA receivers sat down in huge pockets and they just picked us apart. Looked like the Vikings of old--the swiss cheese days. Our run D was suspect today too. It didn't help to lose Kendricks--he is a key player for our D and Audie Cole only scares the doves of Mexico; he usually just looks lost.
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:The sad thing is, I'm liking our offense a little better since Norv left. Shurmur has the right idea with the short passing game because of how bad our OL is. But now when our offense is a little better, our defense is playing worse. I don't understand whats going on with this defense all of the sudden. Now we just can't get any kind of pressure. We run the double A gap and blitz and we still can't get anyone to the QB.

As for the offense, when you have this many injuries to the OL, there isn't much else we can do. We've gotten the worst case of the injury bug I've ever seen. Every game guys are getting hurt. It's non-stop. I like what Shurmur has done for the most part outside of running Asiata. That guy is just pathetic. I don't care how bad our OL is, he needs to stop running the ball. I mean Russell Wilson isn't really doing much this year and his OL is terrible as well. And he is a mobile QB no less. I mean he went 3 straight games without even throwing a TD pass. When your line is as bad as his is and ours is, it's hard to get anything going. It's just that Seattle's defense has continued to hold up. Ours has not.
One of the guys on the post game radio shows said part of the problem with the defense has been the inability to change personnel due to the injuries to the DL and LBs. Earlier in the year they were switching out guys and were able to keep them fresh to continue the strong pass rush. Now that's been difficult to do with the various injuries and the same guys are playing more snaps. I know the injury excuse is verboten, but there is a point where it's too much to overcome,
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

Texas Vike wrote: I agree that they've lost their confidence. They seemed to intimidate foes earlier in the year; no longer. They went from elite to mediocre and it's certainly a concern.

Something I noticed is that they seemed to play less press-man coverage today. There were times when WA receivers sat down in huge pockets and they just picked us apart. Looked like the Vikings of old--the swiss cheese days. Our run D was suspect today too. It didn't help to lose Kendricks--he is a key player for our D and Audie Cole only scares the doves of Mexico; he usually just looks lost.
The consistent inability to get off the field on third downs has been killing them. It obviously adds to the TOP the defense has to defend but it's dang demoralizing to continue to allow 3rd down conversions.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

tmscr wrote: there is a point where it's too much to overcome,
And I think that is where we currently lie right now
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: And I think that is where we currently lie right now
Yep, even a guy like sherels. I think he was second in the league in return average before he was injured. You put in diggs to return punts, who is a playmaker, but he's done very little there. The worst part of the injuries is that they all seem to be long term. Teddy, Khalil, AP, Floyd. Three and a half games played between em. Boone, smith the same. Linval, kendricks, sherels. Several more games missed. Just amazing.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: And I think that is where we currently lie right now
I think it was actually 4 weeks ago.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Texas Vike wrote:They were almost there today against a pretty solid WASH team. I don't see reason for quite as much despair as this board has expressed. I mean, I get it, it's frustrating after a 5-0 start and it's just quintessential Vikings to do this to us, but I saw reasons for optimism today. When Bradford gets time to set up he finds Diggs and Rudy.... I know it's repetitive, but it's all about the line. That's true of the D too. We haven't put much pressure on opposing QBs and our D has looked mortal lately after a torrid start to the season.
But Bradford doesn't get time. That's the point. The offensive success is predicated on the OL blocking, which it just doesn't do for four quarters a game (if even one full quarter). The OL isn't going to get fixed this season and every NFL team out there knows it's the Vikings glaring weakness.

As for the defense, it absolutely must whip itself back into the unit it was before the losing streak. Even if it does, the Vikings will still be half a team - again. We've seen that dynamic too many times.

Sorry to be so blasted negative but it's truthfully how I'm feeling right now.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:The sad thing is, I'm liking our offense a little better since Norv left. Shurmur has the right idea with the short passing game because of how bad our OL is. But now when our offense is a little better, our defense is playing worse. I don't understand whats going on with this defense all of the sudden. Now we just can't get any kind of pressure. We run the double A gap and blitz and we still can't get anyone to the QB.

As for the offense, when you have this many injuries to the OL, there isn't much else we can do. We've gotten the worst case of the injury bug I've ever seen. Every game guys are getting hurt. It's non-stop. I like what Shurmur has done for the most part outside of running Asiata. That guy is just pathetic. I don't care how bad our OL is, he needs to stop running the ball. I mean Russell Wilson isn't really doing much this year and his OL is terrible as well. And he is a mobile QB no less. I mean he went 3 straight games without even throwing a TD pass. When your line is as bad as his is and ours is, it's hard to get anything going. It's just that Seattle's defense has continued to hold up. Ours has not.
The defense has struggled containing TE's the last 3 weeks. Part of this is likely due to the loss of Kendricks but also teams have likely found a chink in the armor. Hopefully it can be corrected. What's really odd is the tackling, the team was excellent at this earlier in the year and it has noticeably dropped off. Barr in particular looks rather bad and I'm wondering if he isn't 100%. As for the pass rush, teams are getting the ball out a lot quicker so that has some to do with the lack of pressure.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

the defense is breaking down because they are over used. The horrid OL means NO running game. THe passing game is iffy in no part due to our QB but rather a non existent OL....You can only expect the Defense to carry so much of a load. We will spend the rest of the season looking at break downs and failures in every aspect of the team from coaches to kickers but nothing will really improve until we have a professional grade OL.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

All things considered, I think the defense held up pretty well. After all, playing for 12 minutes in the 3rd quarter didn't help. The offense needs to help by at least moving the damn ball and giving them a rest longer than 2 minutes.

FWIW, and probably not much, but the defense did hole the Skins to only Field goals after the 1st quarter.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Raptorman wrote:All things considered, I think the defense held up pretty well. After all, playing for 12 minutes in the 3rd quarter didn't help. The offense needs to help by at least moving the damn ball and giving them a rest longer than 2 minutes.

FWIW, and probably not much, but the defense did hole the Skins to only Field goals after the 1st quarter.
Time of possession was almost even.
30:04 to Redskins 29:56
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

losperros wrote: But Bradford doesn't get time. That's the point.
Where do you see that I've missed that point?

You quoted me, but I've been saying that very thing ad nauseam for what seems like eternity. I've underlined it in my post that you quoted.

I'm confused by your post. :confused: