Vikings @ Redskins Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 10

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Vikings @ Redskins Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 10

Post by chicagopurple »

Nothing like spending your Sunday watching your team crap in their pants. I cant believe I paid for an NFL Game Pass in order to watch this garbage. Every time you think our OL situation could not be worse, ........it gets worse.......First you saw the effect of a bargain basement line on back up RBs who are expected to pretend they are starters, Then you get to see the effect of this O line on a QB who is OK if decently protected, NOW we see the attrition on the ONLY high quality aspect of our team (our Defense). They have had to carry this team this year and are starting to break down......I bet Spielman is preoccupied with finding the next great QB or OC rather then facing the reality that he Needs 4-5 Offensive Linemen. Can we even call it an O Line? Its more like a High School club of guys who like to Moon Walk Backwards....
Jordysghost
Packers Suck

Post by Jordysghost »

Raptorman wrote:Ok, I'm not all doom and gloom. Yes we lost, and yes it sucks. But at least they weren't blown out. They didn't quit when down by 14. They didn't quit at the end. So, that's two games in a row they lost in the last 5 minutes. One or two plays go another way and they are 7-2. For as bad as the O-line has been, it appeared today that at least they are addressing getting the QB more time to throw.

That being said, the o-line sucks. The only reason we are even in the running for the Division title is that our division currently sucks.

I would rather have our problems than the Packers.
I think the Packers problems are fixable save for the injuries primarily to our DBs, we cant play D when our number 4 CB is the number 1 guy, combine that with Matthews being gone (Which is our fault for building a D around a guy with a glass hamstring) and it isva losing combination.

Other then that the Offense can and does produce impressivly enough at points, but need to be consistant and stop choking in key moments.

But clearly, with the division how it is, your not out of it yet.
"Follow my lead today, whos goona be the big dog with me?" - Aaron Rodgers, February 6th, 2011
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

Raptorman wrote:Ok, I'm not all doom and gloom. Yes we lost, and yes it sucks. But at least they weren't blown out. They didn't quit when down by 14. They didn't quit at the end. So, that's two games in a row they lost in the last 5 minutes. One or two plays go another way and they are 7-2. For as bad as the O-line has been, it appeared today that at least they are addressing getting the QB more time to throw.

That being said, the o-line sucks. The only reason we are even in the running for the Division title is that our division currently sucks.

I would rather have our problems than the Packers.
Set that bar any lower and you'll trip over it.
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

How are you going to fix this, mike zimmer? I'm still very happy that you're the HC, but all the rah rah words in the world don't seem to be helping.
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

Man, I looked at the schedule when we were 5-0 and I thought we might get to 4 losses. I just didn't expect them to all occur immediately and consecutively.
The-Purple-Reign
Starter

Post by The-Purple-Reign »

tmscr wrote:Man, I looked at the schedule when we were 5-0 and I thought we might get to 4 losses. I just didn't expect them to all occur immediately and consecutively.
that's pretty much it.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Well we should be looking for a replacement for Jake Long but I'm sure we will be signing a defensive player this week. :whistle:

Any ideas who we could be looking at to replace Long?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Jim Souhan:
For the first time in Mike Zimmer's tenure, his program does not look to be on the rise. Instead, he is facing the kind of midseason collapse that ruined Mike Tice's tenure.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:Jim Souhan:

Souhan the polemicist.

I will say, though, that in his presser today he looked really despondent. It doesn't help that one of his eyes is blood red, but he looked really astonished.

In the end, though, even with all of the extensive injuries his team has suffered, I think Zimmer will rally the troops and get at least 2-3 more wins.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Souhan the polemicist.
:lol: I'm laughing because its true.
I will say, though, that in his presser today he looked really despondent. It doesn't help that one of his eyes is blood red, but he looked really astonished.

In the end, though, even with all of the extensive injuries his team has suffered, I think Zimmer will rally the troops and get at least 2-3 more wins.
Probably. He might even rally them to more than that, although so far, he doesn't seem to have any answers when it comes to halting this losing streak. Maybe they just aren't there. Talent matters.

Personally, while I can see that the injuries the team has suffered are having a genuinely negative impact (particularly at RB and LT), I think the team may have headed to where they are now anyway. We discussed it here on the board early in the season. A team can't do anything consistently on offense with a bad line and unless they're constantly making up for that shortcoming in other areas, they can't win consistently either. Their margin for error has been slim from the start. There were articles during the winning streak saying the way the Vikes were winning was unsustainable. It turns out they were right.

Hopefully, this losing streak is equally unsustainable!
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote: :lol: I'm laughing because its true.
Probably. He might even rally them to more than that, although so far, he doesn't seem to have any answers when it comes to halting this losing streak. Maybe they just aren't there. Talent matters.

Personally, while I can see that the injuries the team has suffered are having a genuinely negative impact (particularly at RB and LT), I think the team may have headed to where they are now anyway. We discussed it here on the board early in the season. A team can't do anything consistently on offense with a bad line and unless they're constantly making up for that shortcoming in other areas, they can't win consistently either. Their margin for error has been slim from the start. There were articles during the winning streak saying the way the Vikes were winning was unsustainable. It turns out they were right.

Hopefully, this losing streak is equally unsustainable!
They were almost there today against a pretty solid WASH team. I don't see reason for quite as much despair as this board has expressed. I mean, I get it, it's frustrating after a 5-0 start and it's just quintessential Vikings to do this to us, but I saw reasons for optimism today. When Bradford gets time to set up he finds Diggs and Rudy.... I know it's repetitive, but it's all about the line. That's true of the D too. We haven't put much pressure on opposing QBs and our D has looked mortal lately after a torrid start to the season.
tmscr
Transition Player

Post by tmscr »

Texas Vike wrote: They were almost there today against a pretty solid WASH team. I don't see reason for quite as much despair as this board has expressed. I mean, I get it, it's frustrating after a 5-0 start and it's just quintessential Vikings to do this to us, but I saw reasons for optimism today. When Bradford gets time to set up he finds Diggs and Rudy.... I know it's repetitive, but it's all about the line. That's true of the D too. We haven't put much pressure on opposing QBs and our D has looked mortal lately after a torrid start to the season.
Mortal would be putting it lightly. They looked soft and average AT BEST. The tackling was terrible and has been since the bears game. Obviously the injuries have cut in to their depth and guys are playing more snaps than they did earlier in the year. They looked gassed, partly because the offense has incredibly short drives. But Robert Kelly aka "fat rob" can't be gashing your for 5+ yards on first down runs. Overall they look tired and are clearly devoid of any of the confidence they displayed earlier. I'm really unsure of Zimmer's ability to get the mental aspect of this corrected. They've come out so flat it's very alarming.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

fiestavike wrote: Yep. Bradford is proof that the minutiae of the QB position are actually of primary importance. He's not the first to prove it either. All the arm talent and "accuracy" in the world can't account for the total inability to make a play when things break down. this is the NFL and much of the time plays are going to break down. With a dud like Bradford, the season is over before it starts, especially with a weak OL like we've had the last few years.
Yeah 11 TDs and 2 INTs....real dud :roll:

What are you expecting out of him with no running game and a horrid OL??
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

The sad thing is, I'm liking our offense a little better since Norv left. Shurmur has the right idea with the short passing game because of how bad our OL is. But now when our offense is a little better, our defense is playing worse. I don't understand whats going on with this defense all of the sudden. Now we just can't get any kind of pressure. We run the double A gap and blitz and we still can't get anyone to the QB.

As for the offense, when you have this many injuries to the OL, there isn't much else we can do. We've gotten the worst case of the injury bug I've ever seen. Every game guys are getting hurt. It's non-stop. I like what Shurmur has done for the most part outside of running Asiata. That guy is just pathetic. I don't care how bad our OL is, he needs to stop running the ball. I mean Russell Wilson isn't really doing much this year and his OL is terrible as well. And he is a mobile QB no less. I mean he went 3 straight games without even throwing a TD pass. When your line is as bad as his is and ours is, it's hard to get anything going. It's just that Seattle's defense has continued to hold up. Ours has not.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Texas Vike wrote:
They were almost there today against a pretty solid WASH team. I don't see reason for quite as much despair as this board has expressed. I mean, I get it, it's frustrating after a 5-0 start and it's just quintessential Vikings to do this to us, but I saw reasons for optimism today. When Bradford gets time to set up he finds Diggs and Rudy.... I know it's repetitive, but it's all about the line. That's true of the D too. We haven't put much pressure on opposing QBs and our D has looked mortal lately after a torrid start to the season.
I agree with what your saying, and I think Shurmur and the offense are still getting to know each other.
But now I think we will be having an offensive line shuttle which could slow us down some.
I figure probably Austin Shepherd will get moved to the 53 man rooster.
Shepherd is a mystery to me. He played in 14 games last year only to be one of our first cuts. I'm hoping he gets to see some playing time.