Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

VikingsKid28
Starter

Re: Lions @ Vikings Game Day Discussion Thread -- Week 9

Post by VikingsKid28 »

mosscarter wrote:let's be realistic here, with an offense this lousy what is the best possible scenario? one and done like last year? i thought bradford played pretty decent sunday, but they get into the redzone and cannot seem to get anything accomplished just like last season. we have big receivers that either we aren't making use of; or simply aren't any good. patterson had a tough drop, but that pass would have been difficult for anyone. where is cris carter when you need him in the redzone. we can move the ball between the 20's pretty effectively, but that's about it.
They need to put Treadwell in for redzone situations.
It's a great day to be great
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: But here's a truth that may or may not mean anything: His holder during his rookie season was Chris Kluwe. Walsh was a Pro Bowler. The Vikings then released Kluwe and drafted Locke. Walsh's miss rate immediately went up and has stayed up.

Cause-and-effect? No idea. Not nearly enough evidence to support that. But it sure makes a person wonder. I wish somebody would interview Chris Kluwe about it. Even if every word he said was self-congratulatory B.S., it would at least be entertaining!
Locke was his holder his 2nd year. Walsh missed 4 field goals and no extra points his rookie year. The next year he missed 5 field goals and 1 extra point, so yeah, technically his miss rate went up but not by much. It's his 3rd year where we really see more of a decline. If Locke was mishandling the ball I'm sure he would speak up and take the blame for missed kicks, but he hasn't said that and Walsh hasn't brought it up either so I give Walsh credit for taking full responsibility.

I believe it's more of a confidence thing for kickers when they miss a couple field goals it gets in their head. Kind of like when pro golfers get the yips and have trouble making a short put. Walsh's miss in the playoffs last year has to have had a major impact on his psyche. It was terrible conditions but it was a short kick and cost them a playoff game and I'm sure he feels like he let the team down.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Man watching Seattles offensive line reminds me a lot of ours. That line is brutal
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Man watching Seattles offensive line reminds me a lot of ours. That line is brutal
What a mess on that field goal try before half. Refs blew that big time.

Looks like Roger Goodell wants the Seahawks in the playoffs this year.
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

joe h wrote:
Zimmer waits until 15 seconds to call a timeout, we all celebrate a hard fought, potentially season turning victory, instead of calling for Walsh's head, and watching any hope for a first round bye disappear. Hell, nothing this team is doing gives me confidence we'll win another game.
So we lose 3 straight coming off the bye and you're upset we may not get a first round bye in the playoffs? Hell, we start sluggishly just having a normal 6 days off between games. I hope to high heaven we don't get a bye, if we make the playoffs. High seeding and the expectations that come with it has never been a positive for this team. We're the Vikings, remember? If we have any chance its as the underdog, coming off no rest.
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:Man watching Seattles offensive line reminds me a lot of ours. That line is brutal
True, but Wilson and the offense still put up 31 points.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Purple Reign wrote: True, but Wilson and the offense still put up 31 points.
Exactly! And that's where the similarities end.
Funkytown
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Funkytown »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Here's how I would back it up.

1. A touchback does the team no good. It puts the ball on the 25 without using any time off the clock.
2. Walsh took ONE STEP, then kicked.
3. He popped it up -- only he popped it into the end zone.
4. The Vikings have one of the best coverage teams in the league, and the Lions hadn't returned a kickoff past the 25 yard line all game. While a TD on a return is always a concern, I'm fairly sure Mike Priefer wasn't fearful of a long return.

Now, I wasn't in the huddle, and I'm no expert. But given the evidence I've outlined, and since Moose Johnston (likely an expert) ALSO said that's probably what was supposed to happen, I'll stick with my speculation.
From today:
Mike Priefer said Blair Walsh made a huge mistake on last kickoff.
Mike Priefer said game likely would have been over if Walsh had not kicked a touchback.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Funkytown wrote: From today:
I think this is the main reason that they brought in other kickers. And I also think that he has kicked himself out of a job at the end of the year. He really is becoming worthless.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018