Norv Turner Resigns as OC

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Re: Norv Turner Resigns as OC

Post by Boon »

Romo and murray and dez and all these past 6 years or so the team couldnt stop anyone. Losing games where they score 45 points. But do what theyre doing because they are 6-1 now and the 4th pick in the draft is killing teams. You don't bank on anomalies. I would much rather have the three year build on a defense that is paying dividends now than have 15 years of mediocrity because you cant stop anybody. Give me a break. Dak isnt doing a #### thing but they are playing opportunistic football and winning games. If we need to follow anyones philosophy its new england. They draft bpa most of the time and coach these players up.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote: Interesting take. I can't say that I agree as I think the team, in general, has improved over the last 2.5 years. I realize Spielman has been here longer than that but that's the point where he was finally able to pick his own staff. There have certainly been mistakes, no argument there, I just don't know that they offset his success.
I just don't think there's been enough success. To me, 1 playoff win in 9 years is not particularly successful. I can't give him a pass for everything prior to hiring Zimmer. He's had too much of a hand in it. He's basically been in charge for 6 years now and he's been the official GM for nearly 5. I think he's had a "failure" rate in terms of decision-making that's been sufficient to hold the team back but he's not a bad GM who drags it down into the mire. He's found some great talent and he's capable of building a team that can make the playoffs or win the division once in a while but with each passing year, he looks more and more to me like he lacks what it's going to take build a champion. I just don't think he goes about what he does logically enough. He undermines too many good choices with poor or questionable choices.

That's just my take. I understand where you're coming from. The team's record improved from year 1 to year 2 under Zimmer and they've managed to effectively rebuild the defense. Unfortunately, while they've done that the offense has sunk to the bottom. It's a microcosm of what I'm talking about: the failure on offense offsets the success on defense.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Norv Zimmer wrote:http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/minn ... ign-110216

Good article breaking down how the offenses will be different.
Very good article. I agree with much of it regarding Turner's system not fitting with the present roster of players.

I'm hoping Shurmur can pick things up with a quicker style, which should benefit Bradford.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

If John Schneider and Pete Carroll are serious about turning their offense around this season they should give Turner a call.
Read more at http://cover32.com/2016/11/02/seahawks- ... UiFU5OV.99

WoW :D
germannorseman
Backup

Post by germannorseman »

I can't say I am disappointed at this. But as others have said I don't see a ton of change at this point with the line we have. Bradford still,won't be able to drop back and throw because he still,won't have time. It's not like with Turner gone Bradford will now be able to take his time and find the open man. It's the line that is the largest issue right now. Now that's not to,say some fresh ideas can't help. But without the line fix we will still struggle to score more than 20 pts a game.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

S197 wrote:Not a fan of switching staff mid-year, especially with the team's current record but at least Shurmur has a lot of familiarity with Bradford. It will be interesting to see if we see any personnel changes, such as Treadwell on the field or Patterson (although he's been getting reps lately).

Its a move that should have come at Zimmer's hand 7 games ago, after we failed to score a single TD against Seattle in our own stadium. But everyone seemed content to think that something would somehow make us a better offense this year ( a miracle I guess?), but there was really precious little reason to expect that would happen.
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

losperros wrote: Very good article. I agree with much of it regarding Turner's system not fitting with the present roster of players.

I'm hoping Shurmur can pick things up with a quicker style, which should benefit Bradford.
Agree completely.

Let's think about how this all happened. There's no proof, of course, but it sure looks like Shurmur's fingerprints were all over the first few games Sam played with the Vikings. Shurmur may not have been calling the plays, per se, but it makes sense that he must have had a lot to do with the TYPES of plays that were being called. How else could Sam have played so well so quickly? The O-line was no less garbage than it is now, but the Vikings were moving the ball and scoring enough to allow the defense to shine.

When the bye week hit, the offense suddenly went to crap. Now I ask you ... what kind of team gets exponentially WORSE on offense during a bye week? I'm betting Norv went back to being Norv, trying to turn Sam Bradford into Troy Aikman and the Vikings into the 1995 Cowboys. Instead of efficiency with the occasional chunk play, as we saw in games 2-5, we reverted back to the maddeningly inept offense of the past two seasons.

As for Zimmer being "very surprised" at Norv's resignation, I have to wonder. ESPN reported that they met early in the day and expressed differences in how the offense should be run. So while Zimmer may not have gone into it expecting Norv to hand in his notice, it's hardly a stretch to think this was mutually agreed upon once the disagreement ensued. This is Zimmer's team, and he has every right to make whatever changes are needed to get this thing turned around.

The Lions' crap defense is the perfect medicine for a sick offense. With the game at home and Shurmur calling plays, I look for the Vikings' offense to go back to playing like they did during Sam's first 4 games. They might not put up 40, but enough to win.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Boon wrote: Wait til the defense flops. Cause it will. Dallas has had this good line for a while now. Only reason they are doing well is because the rest of the team is doing ok and they have a rb on pace for a 2k season. They have been drafting offensive line high for 15 years give or take and now all of a sudden its "do what dallas is doing" because of one good season rofl

OK Don't draft O linemen and lets continue with the same inept Line for the next few years. :hitfan:
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Agree completely.

Let's think about how this all happened. There's no proof, of course, but it sure looks like Shurmur's fingerprints were all over the first few games Sam played with the Vikings. Shurmur may not have been calling the plays, per se, but it makes sense that he must have had a lot to do with the TYPES of plays that were being called. How else could Sam have played so well so quickly? The O-line was no less garbage than it is now, but the Vikings were moving the ball and scoring enough to allow the defense to shine.

When the bye week hit, the offense suddenly went to crap. Now I ask you ... what kind of team gets exponentially WORSE on offense during a bye week? I'm betting Norv went back to being Norv, trying to turn Sam Bradford into Troy Aikman and the Vikings into the 1995 Cowboys. Instead of efficiency with the occasional chunk play, as we saw in games 2-5, we reverted back to the maddeningly inept offense of the past two seasons.

As for Zimmer being "very surprised" at Norv's resignation, I have to wonder. ESPN reported that they met early in the day and expressed differences in how the offense should be run. So while Zimmer may not have gone into it expecting Norv to hand in his notice, it's hardly a stretch to think this was mutually agreed upon once the disagreement ensued. This is Zimmer's team, and he has every right to make whatever changes are needed to get this thing turned around.

The Lions' crap defense is the perfect medicine for a sick offense. With the game at home and Shurmur calling plays, I look for the Vikings' offense to go back to playing like they did during Sam's first 4 games. They might not put up 40, but enough to win.
When we got shurmur it was so obvious he was qualified to take over at OC if Norv's offense failed to get anything going again. I think it was a really good hedge by zimmer / spielman so you can give Norv one more shot to make it work but also have a guy who's very experienced that could take over mid season like this so you aren't all in on Norv turning things around.

Then you add in trading for Bradford and how much Shurmur's input was a factor in that and the writing was on the wall imo.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

Glad a change was made. Too often teams stick with what they have simply because it's what they have.

Not sure anyone could produce with the talent that's on the field, but especially with injuries you need to be able to adapt. Norv ran his system regardless. Hopefully we see some attempts at *anything* to make a functional offense with this talent...if it's even possible.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote: I'm not keeping a tally or anything. ;) I just meant the successes haven't been enough to offset the failures (perhaps missteps would be a better choice of words?) and lead to the kind of postseason success they (and we) want to see.
I mean this team just started to get going last year after a complete rebuild in 2012. If he was a guy that had no clue what he was doing or was a bad GM we wouldn't have went 11-5 last year. The team is 30 times better than it was in 2012. You don't just turn around and get to the playoffs and win a super bowl after you start from the ground up in 2012. He's built the best defense in the NFL. Yeah the offense is struggling but we've also lost both of the toughest positions to fill on the OL, the best RB in the league and our starting QB. Could he of done a better job with the o line....100%. But if we drafted an OL in the first round in 2014, we wouldnt have Anthony Barr. Or the 2nd round in 2015, we wouldnt have Eric Kendricks. Or in the first round of 2015 and not have Trae Waynes, etc, etc. You have to look at it that way too. We could have taken offensive lineman in the first round in 2014 and 2015 but I can bet money guys on here would be losing their mind because we would have nobody worth a damn at OLB or have nobody behind a 38 year old CB.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Laserman wrote:Take a LESSON from the Dallas Cowboys, DRAFT a good offensive line. Offense is won in the trenches, any Running back can run thru BIG holes. Almost any NFL calibre QB can tear you a new one if given time in the pocket. Offensive Philosphy HAS to start with a dominant Off. Line, Not WRs, Not TEs, Not Rbs. Go after those guys AFTER you build a dominant line. Look where the Cowboys are now, 6-1 with a Dominant line and probably heading to the SB
But like I said, if we pulled off what the Cowboys did, we wouldnt have the defense we have. It's easy to sit behind a computer screen and say, DO WHAT THE COWBOYS DID!!!!!

It's not that simple. If we did what they did, we wouldnt have guys like Barr, Rhodes, Waynes, Kendricks, Smith, etc.

It seems like some people on here think that we had imaginary picks back in the day that would've given us good offensive lineman, we didnt use them and we'd still be able to have all the studs on defense that we do. It doesnt work that way. There is just nothing realistic about that.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Boon wrote: Wait til the defense flops. Cause it will. Dallas has had this good line for a while now. Only reason they are doing well is because the rest of the team is doing ok and they have a rb on pace for a 2k season. They have been drafting offensive line high for 15 years give or take and now all of a sudden its "do what dallas is doing" because of one good season rofl
lol exactly!!
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

J. Kapp 11 wrote: Agree completely.

Great post Kapp. I agree completely. This coaching change makes it very difficult for opposing teams to scout us because now you don't really know what to expect. There were clearly some battles between Norv's philosophy and what Zim/Shurmur wanted or thought would work. Norv didnt want to budge and thats why he stepped down.

The only other thing I thought of was that Norv wanted to trade for an OL and thought this offense was going nowhere if we didnt and Zim didnt budge but that's probably a long shot. I think it's more of what I said above. Norv was being stern with what he wanted and his play calling.

I am completely confident vs. the Lions. Shurmur has also learned a lot from being in Philly last year. I have a feeling you're going to see a big difference Sunday. 28-10 Vikings.
-Chazz Palminteri
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

This article was posted above and I will post it again for those that didnt read it. This is exactly why I feel confident this Sunday. Turner didnt fit Bradford's style and this explains exactly why.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/minn ... ign-110216
-Chazz Palminteri