Norv Turner Resigns as OC

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Re: Norv Turner Resigns as OC

Post by mansquatch »

S197 wrote:Not a fan of switching staff mid-year, especially with the team's current record but at least Shurmur has a lot of familiarity with Bradford. It will be interesting to see if we see any personnel changes, such as Treadwell on the field or Patterson (although he's been getting reps lately).
This isn't disagreement as I also like continuity, but the Ravens made a move like this the year they won the SB. So it can work out for the better. I wouldn't be shocked if that very circumstance had something to do with this move.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

S197 wrote:So you feel Spielman has failed more than he has succeeded?
I'm not keeping a tally or anything. ;) I just meant the successes haven't been enough to offset the failures (perhaps missteps would be a better choice of words?) and lead to the kind of postseason success they (and we) want to see.
Purple Reign
All Pro Elite Player

Post by Purple Reign »

halfgiz wrote:Best wishes to Norv! But I'm happy to see him go.

Will say I'm sure it was a tough decision for Zimmer, but he had the balls to try and get things back on track :thumbsup:
Evidently it was a surprise to Zimmer - it wasn't his decision (other than to accept Norv's resignation) so don't be giving him credit for it.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

I like that rumor that shurmur was calling the plays when bradford started. It would explain my question from earlier about the offense looking better the first few games bradford played when it was "dumbed down". It just seemed that way with the eye test
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Via Josina Anderson:
#Vikings source on why they think Norv Turner left: "You will have to ask him, but we have not been good on offense for 3 years."
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Boon wrote:I like that rumor that shurmur was calling the plays when bradford started. It would explain my question from earlier about the offense looking better the first few games bradford played when it was "dumbed down". It just seemed that way with the eye test
I agree and hope there is some substance to it. Lets get this train back on track
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Hmmm...was this a good idea?
Zimmer: "I’ve given him almost 100% free will with everything they’ve done. There’s never been a time that I demanded anything from there."
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote: I'm not keeping a tally or anything. ;) I just meant the successes haven't been enough to offset the failures (perhaps missteps would be a better choice of words?) and lead to the kind of postseason success they (and we) want to see.
Interesting take. I can't say that I agree as I think the team, in general, has improved over the last 2.5 years. I realize Spielman has been here longer than that but that's the point where he was finally able to pick his own staff. There have certainly been mistakes, no argument there, I just don't know that they offset his success.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

dead_poet wrote:Hmmm...was this a good idea?
That would certainly lend validity to the anonymous source cited above regarding our being "bad" for 3 years on offense.

One anomaly that has never been adequately addressed was how the same offensive unit put up decent numbers in Musgrave's last year before falling into the abyss under Turner. Admittedly in 2013 the defense was one of the worst in the league which lends itself to higher yardage.

OTOH, Priefer has overall done great on ST and it is likely that he is given similar latitude while Zimmer focuses on D. So it could be that they need to find an OC who can deliver better than Turner has done. Most major businesses are structured similarly where a division head will manage the entirety of the operation while the CEO focuses on certain things. The CEO doesn't have the time to manage everything, so allowing Norv total control isn't IMO unreasonable.

We'll never know the whole story.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

S197 wrote:Not a fan of switching staff mid-year, especially with the team's current record but at least Shurmur has a lot of familiarity with Bradford. It will be interesting to see if we see any personnel changes, such as Treadwell on the field or Patterson (although he's been getting reps lately).
I would think this could be to Pattersons advantage. It also could benefit Jet and Hillman because Pat liked using the backs out of the backfield.

In 2 of the years Shurmur was with the Eagles his offense ranked 5th & 12th. Lets see what he can come up with.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I think the offense will be a lot of plays getting the ball into playmakers hands. CP84, diggs, backs, rudolph will all benefit i think. Along with the offensive line, they wont have to hold what little blocks they get as long.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

They need to pick up the tempo of their offense. They lollygag way too much. Get Sammy in a rhythm -- dink and dunk will be fine and necessary given the abysmal state of the offensive line.
Laserman
Hall of Famer

Post by Laserman »

Take a LESSON from the Dallas Cowboys, DRAFT a good offensive line. Offense is won in the trenches, any Running back can run thru BIG holes. Almost any NFL calibre QB can tear you a new one if given time in the pocket. Offensive Philosphy HAS to start with a dominant Off. Line, Not WRs, Not TEs, Not Rbs. Go after those guys AFTER you build a dominant line. Look where the Cowboys are now, 6-1 with a Dominant line and probably heading to the SB
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Exactly! :point:
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Laserman wrote:Take a LESSON from the Dallas Cowboys, DRAFT a good offensive line. Offense is won in the trenches, any Running back can run thru BIG holes. Almost any NFL calibre QB can tear you a new one if given time in the pocket. Offensive Philosphy HAS to start with a dominant Off. Line, Not WRs, Not TEs, Not Rbs. Go after those guys AFTER you build a dominant line. Look where the Cowboys are now, 6-1 with a Dominant line and probably heading to the SB
Wait til the defense flops. Cause it will. Dallas has had this good line for a while now. Only reason they are doing well is because the rest of the team is doing ok and they have a rb on pace for a 2k season. They have been drafting offensive line high for 15 years give or take and now all of a sudden its "do what dallas is doing" because of one good season rofl