Norv Turner Resigns as OC

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Re: Norv Turner Resigns as OC

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Texas Vike wrote:
The article acts as if this were some tragedy that would set our otherwise formidable offense back. Norv had some fresh ideas in the 90s; it's 2016.

I'm glad about this news, it was due time. My guess is Zimmer and Spielman talked and decided to make this move; couldn't have been easy.

Zimmer said it surprised him when Norv told him. It is interesting timing for sure, but ultimately I think Norv realized himself that he wasn't able to keep up anymore. I hope it isn't health related.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

I don't know what game people were watching...the Viking games I have seen the last few weeks, Bradford had guys hanging on his arms 2 steps into his drop. He had NO time to run any plays including very short passing plays. The same was true for our run game....there were NO open holes, DBs were in the backfield almost immediately. People say they want to see screen passes, well, those take a little time to develop and the OL just cant seem to supply the 2 seconds they require. I don't think we are going to see some big improvement with a coaching change unless we have some sleepers on our developmental squad on OL.
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

Norv Zimmer wrote:Bench Johnson, start Treadwell.

I dont get this stuff. Johnson was wide open for a TD and Bradford underthrew him Monday. Didn't he also recover a dropped put or something too?
And what has Treadwell done, ever, except drop balls?
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Well ok. It's like replacing the engine when you had four flat tires and an empty gas tank. I wasn't a huge Norv guy but it's clear his 31st-ranked "offense" wasn't getting it done. Here's hoping for some kind of magical Schurmer improvement on Sunday (a game I'll be at!).
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

PurpleMustReign wrote:
Zimmer said it surprised him when Norv told him. It is interesting timing for sure, but ultimately I think Norv realized himself that he wasn't able to keep up anymore. I hope it isn't health related.

Just caught the presser. Zimmer said Norv made the choice because he thought it was the best thing for him and for the team, and that his resignation wasn't due to illness.

Edit to add:
Zimmer chokes up at the end of the presser, obviously this is not an easy situation for him:

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... 802bc89611
Last edited by Texas Vike on Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Texas Vike wrote:
Just caught the presser. Zimmer said Norv made the choice because he thought it was the best thing for him and for the team, and that his resignation wasn't due to illness.
Good. I sure didn't want Norv to be ill or anything. And it sounds fairly stand up of him to acknowledge both he and the team might be better off parting ways. I wish the guy good luck.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

dead_poet wrote:Well ok. It's like replacing the engine when you had four flat tires and an empty gas tank. I wasn't a huge Norv guy but it's clear his 31st-ranked "offense" wasn't getting it done. Here's hoping for some kind of magical Schurmer improvement on Sunday (a game I'll be at!).
:lol:

Four flat tires, check, but I'd like to think there's still some gas in the tank. Otherwise you might as well sell those tickets!
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

After Turner surprised Zimmer on Wednesday morning with his resignation, Turner told ESPN's Ed Werder, "I think it's just we have different views on where the offense was going."
Well, what the heck?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1795 ... er-resigns
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Raptorman wrote:So, how many games before people start calling for Shurmurs head?
Well it took three years of futility to get rid of turner so
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

PacificNorseWest wrote: Well, what the heck?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1795 ... er-resigns
Zimmer wants to move the ball forward and Turner was OK staying in the same place or moving backwards?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:Jim, Zimmer already answered your question when he said the OL need to find it in themselves to get better. That will allow for more diversity.
... and that's exactly what I was getting at above. At some point, the problem can't simply be solved strategically. The players have to perform.
The bigger question is can they do it? The Coaching Crucible is here. How they come out of it will determine the outcome of the season.
It's a big challenge, for coaches and players alike.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Mothman wrote: Nobody's forgetting it. He's had his successes but thus far, they haven't been enough to sufficiently offset his failures.
So you feel Spielman has failed more than he has succeeded?
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Not a fan of switching staff mid-year, especially with the team's current record but at least Shurmur has a lot of familiarity with Bradford. It will be interesting to see if we see any personnel changes, such as Treadwell on the field or Patterson (although he's been getting reps lately).
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

Can Treadwell and Patterson pass block? :nono:
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/minn ... ign-110216

Good article breaking down how the offenses will be different.