Norv Turner Resigns as OC

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Re: Norv Turner Resigns as OC

Post by halfgiz »

Best wishes to Norv! But I'm happy to see him go.

Will say I'm sure it was a tough decision for Zimmer, but he had the balls to try and get things back on track :thumbsup:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: And I've said this multiple times, people can complain about Spielman all they want but let's not forget the talent he's brought in on this roster.
Nobody's forgetting it. He's had his successes but thus far, they haven't been enough to sufficiently offset his failures.
Let's not forget that this whole offensive line thing could have something to do with Zim as well because he wants to build up his defense
It likely does but Zimmer works for Spielman, not the other way around.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Raptorman wrote:So, how many games before people start calling for Shurmurs head?
I'm hoping Pat will do good. He seemed to do a good job with the Eagles QB's.
Hopefully he will start working with the offenses strengths.
AlldayPotter
Backup

Post by AlldayPotter »

Best thing to happen to the vikings since the bye week. This needed to happen, so sick of seeing runs on every first down, 7 step drops when our offensive line won't even let bradford get 3.
Hopefully shurmur clicks with Bradford and the offense and they start producing more points to help out our no. 1 defense.
Personally I'd start with Charles johnson not being a starting wide reciever, thank you.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:If Norv is gone....is Scott too?

Andrew Krammer
41m
Scott Turner is staying on the Vikings staff as quarterbacks coach
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Been busy moving rough few weeks.

I for one am glad for this, I think Norv was struggling to adapt after he was able to get a little taste of his classic SD offensive at the beginning of the year.

Just to call it now, on Sunday our first series will be;

Run up the gut.
Run up the gut.
Sacked trying to throw a bomb.
Punt.

:v):
AlldayPotter
Backup

Post by AlldayPotter »

Nah I bet we don't even run on the first drive.
Make a statement, spread the defense out.

Hopefully mckinnon is back.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

AlldayPotter wrote:Nah I bet we don't even run on the first drive.
Make a statement, spread the defense out.

Hopefully mckinnon is back.
I cant count the number of times we have all said something like that and we go run run pass punt. :x
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

As one of the biggest anti-norv guys here obviously I think the change is thoroughly needed but it still kind of sucks from the human perspective that things just didn't work out. Always seemed like a classy guy and good person.

We can only guess but it seems like when Bradford first got here things became really simplified and there was an emphasis on getting the ball out quickly / on time and as more and more of the offense was installed more and more of the longer developing plays began to rear their ugly head again. It began to look EXACTLY like it did for Teddy last year where I put more of the blame on Norv and his play calling / offense than Teddy just holding the ball to long. (though of course there WERE times Teddy held the ball to long)

Now we know that is more than likely accurate because we saw Bradford go from a guy who was very decisive and getting rid of the ball quickly to the same thing that happened to Teddy last year. Now maybe Bradford just forgot how to be a QB after the bye but I doubt it.

Very excited to see what happens with Shurmur, he's gotten a lot of out of Bradford in the past and hopefully he's more willing to play to our strengths and do what we can to mask our O-line issues. The big questions that I can't wait to see answered are what kind of use he will get out of Patterson / Treadwell and if we become less predictable on first down or any other down.

Another thing is that Norv's system wasn't really a good fit for Teddy anyway. We don't know Teddy's future but this is a plus for him as well.
Last edited by mondry on Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

Well, changing coordinators wont help the turnstile on the right side of the line, Fusco and Clemmings will still probably be there.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Bench Johnson, start Treadwell.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

IrishViking wrote: I cant count the number of times we have all said something like that and we go run run pass punt. :x
My thoughts exactly. I'm concerned about it.

Well, here's hoping the Vikings get more creative and hopefully successful on offense. They don't need to lead the league but they really should be playing at least average NFL level.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mondry wrote:As one of the biggest anti-norv guys here obviously I think the change is thoroughly needed but it still kind of sucks from the human perspective that things just didn't work out. Always seemed like a classy guy and good person.
Yes and if this is his last hurrah as an NFL coach, it's a bummer to see him exit this way, mid-season.
We can only guess but it seems like when Bradford first got here things became really simplified and there was an emphasis on getting the ball out quickly / on time and as more and more of the offense was installed more and more of the longer developing plays began to rear their ugly head again. It began to look EXACTLY like it did for Teddy last year where I put more of the blame on Norv and his play calling / offense than Teddy just holding the ball to long. (though of course there WERE times Teddy held the ball to long)

Now we know that is more than likely accurate because we saw Bradford go from a guy who was very decisive and getting rid of the ball quickly to the same thing that happened to Teddy last year. Now maybe Bradford just forgot how to be a QB after the bye but I doubt it.
The slower-developing plays began to "rear their head" because you can't call nothing but quick passes and ineffective running plays and expect to score points. Defenses saw how heavily the Vikes were leaning on those quick-developing routes and adjusted. I'll ask you what I just asked Irish Viking in another thread: what's the counter to that? The o-line is awful and a one-dimensional offense is easy to defend.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

Jim, Zimmer already answered your question when he said the OL need to find it in themselves to get better. That will allow for more diversity.

The bigger question is can they do it? The Coaching Crucible is here. How they come out of it will determine the outcome of the season.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

The article acts as if this were some tragedy that would set our otherwise formidable offense back. Norv had some fresh ideas in the 90s; it's 2016.

I'm glad about this news, it was due time. My guess is Zimmer and Spielman talked and decided to make this move; couldn't have been easy.