Running game in danger of being NFL’s most futile since 1946

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

mondry
Hall of Famer

Re: Running game in danger of being NFL’s most futile since

Post by mondry »

Boon wrote: ap is a one of a kind back. sliver of room and he's gone. you cant really say that he wouldn't have. through 7 games you would imagine somewhere along the line he would have broken a few long td's already.
All you have to do is look at the few games he did play and see he got shut down just as hard if not more so. I don't really think he has that burst / home run speed anymore so no, I honestly don't think he would have ripped off any long TD's (let's say 40+ yards).
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

mondry wrote: All you have to do is look at the few games he did play and see he got shut down just as hard if not more so. I don't really think he has that burst / home run speed anymore so no, I honestly don't think he would have ripped off any long TD's (let's say 40+ yards).
Yes he would have. every year its the same deal. Old, doesn't have it blah blah blah. His 2k season he started bad too, just remember that.
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

We were horrible in the rushing attack before AD got hurt. Sometimes, good players can find a way to get things done. This year we cant. Rick has this Oline in shambles, no one seems to know what to do, I think Clemmings thinks we are playing Rugby or something, and there doesnt seem to be ANY pride or leadership on the online.

Forget about the Dline for a while, see if we can get rid of AD and Kalil (I bet either can play nearly as well as they could before) and start work on the Oline. No more WR's (Rick has no clue about them, Diggs in the 5th was a fluke). If we dont get a someone decent Oline working this year, the Bradford trade was a waste. And since Teddy probably wont be playing a lot more football in his life, we are screwed. If this trend continues, we are going to hear cries from Ricks head and a new GM. The Vikings just keep going around in circles.

Oh. and someone but Zim a bottle of Xanax.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

time to wake up and realize that AP has reached his sell by date.....
If we can get a bunch of help at OL, we would be fools to not pull the trigger. Now he is even more damaged and will be a bit slower. We will go no where with or without him if we have no OL.....
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

chicagopurple wrote:time to wake up and realize that AP has reached his sell by date.....
If we can get a bunch of help at OL, we would be fools to not pull the trigger.
Pull the trigger on what?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Chris Tomasson ‏@christomasson
More good news. The #Vikings have raised their rushing per carry average to 2.7. Now only the worst since the 1953 New York Giants were 2.6.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

This thread is funny. We just got completely manhandled by a defense that basically used a base defense to rush the passer while employing a cover 2 scheme. John Fox and Vic Fangio basically said "run it if you can" and our results were utterly pathetic. We couldn't get any push at the point of attack and Matt Asiata was irrelevant for the entire game.

Think about that. If we had held a TE back to chip or help block, we'd have had fewer guys running into a coverage scheme that would have 6 or 7 DBs to defend the pass. So two best guys are double covered and now you are hoping your #3 or #4 guy can beat someone. On top of this, our Tackles could not do anything against their edge rushers. Not exactly a recipe for any kind of success when you need the time to get to your 3rd or 4th read as a QB.

Running matters in the NFL. It might not be 200 yard games like college, but the ability to have a credible rushing threat is very important to a passing game. Think about it this way, if running the ball is now passe, why don't teams spend an entire game in the 2 minute offense?
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

mansquatch wrote:This thread is funny. We just got completely manhandled by a defense that basically used a base defense to rush the passer while employing a cover 2 scheme. John Fox and Vic Fangio basically said "run it if you can" and our results were utterly pathetic. We couldn't get any push at the point of attack and Matt Asiata was irrelevant for the entire game.

Think about that. If we had held a TE back to chip or help block, we'd have had fewer guys running into a coverage scheme that would have 6 or 7 DBs to defend the pass. So two best guys are double covered and now you are hoping your #3 or #4 guy can beat someone. On top of this, our Tackles could not do anything against their edge rushers. Not exactly a recipe for any kind of success when you need the time to get to your 3rd or 4th read as a QB.

Running matters in the NFL. It might not be 200 yard games like college, but the ability to have a credible rushing threat is very important to a passing game. Think about it this way, if running the ball is now passe, why don't teams spend an entire game in the 2 minute offense?
Well said!
vikeinmontana
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by vikeinmontana »

turns out if you have average running backs and the worst offensive line I have possibly EVER seen....you're not going to rush the ball well. :giveup:
i'm ready for a beer.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

vikeinmontana wrote:turns out if you have average running backs and the worst offensive line I have possibly EVER seen....you're not going to rush the ball well. :giveup:
Imagine that.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly