Will turner remain OC vs Chicago (poll)

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Will Norv Turner remain offensive coordinator

Yes
88%
No
13%

Total votes: 32

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Will turner remain OC vs Chicago (poll)

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:You asked this of Mondry, not me, but I think it's a good question. I hate the lack of creativity in our running game. By vanilla, I would mean that there are no pitches, no pulling guards, none of the smart counters that Cutler pulled successfully on us last night--on that play flipping it when he saw a huge running lane for his RB. Norv's MO is to stubbornly run right up the middle behind our horrendous O linemen. Who knows, maybe if we tried going wide or pulling our Gs we'd fare even worse, but I'd love to see some variety and creativity and less predictability.
I would too but I think those horrendous linemen are probably the main reason we don't see more variety.
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

chicagopurple wrote: What do you REALLY think he is going to gameplan?!?
Well lets see, just to name a few: You could game plan to run a hurry up offense when you're trailing by 3 scores late in the game. You could game plan to keep defenses guessing on what you will call on first down. You can game plan to run screens, or have McKinnon actually throw the ball from the cat. You could plan to throw the ball before third down when you're in the red zone, because you know you aren't going to run it. You could use some designed rollouts. You could plan to bench Rudolph the next time he goes out for 8 on a 3rd and 10.

I'm sure others can add to the list.
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

worrying about your offense plays being too simple when your OL is a sick joke is like worrying about repositioning your sails when your hull is breeched.......
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

chicagopurple wrote:worrying about your offense plays being too simple when your OL is a sick joke is like worrying about repositioning your sails when your hull is breeched.......
Ignoring the fact that your offensive Captain has had worsening success for 3 straight years is likely to end in getting your hull breeched. :D
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

From SI.com:

Vikings OC Norv Turner running out of time to ignite lifeless offense after loss to Bears
If the loss to Philadelphia did not make it obvious, Monday should have: Turner is working against a stacked deck, to be sure.

Sam Bradford is not suddenly going to become a Pro Bowl quarterback, because that’s not what he is. The offensive line might be able to improve incrementally by getting Jeremiah Sirles in the lineup—right tackle T.J. Clemmings couldn’t protect Bradford from the rain with an umbrella—but it’s not going to become dominant overnight. And at running back? Adrian Peterson is going to be gone for a while yet, but neither he nor Jerick McKinnon nor Matt Asiata has found room behind that maligned front anyway.

Personnel-wise, then, the Vikings are what they are to a large extent. Perhaps GM Rick Spielman swings a trade or two before Tuesday’s deadline, but he’s already down a 2017 first-round pick (sent out in the Bradford deal) and is tight against the cap.

In other words, there’s probably not much in the way of reserves on the way. So, if the Vikings are to get anything of value out of their offense this season, Turner will have to find a way to unlock whatever secrets are still hiding.
The author suggests cranking up the pace and going to an up-tempo as a one possible adjustment for the Vikes.
The heat is squarely on Turner now. So much so, in fact, that the shelf life for this column might be brief. It would be a surprise if the Vikings sent Turner packing this week, but not an unforeseeable outcome.
VikingPaul73
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by VikingPaul73 »

Well I admit I thought you were a crackpot for posting this poll but it turns out you were just a genius 1 week ahead of his time!!!!
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

Can I change my vote? :lol:
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

chicagopurple wrote:worrying about your offense plays being too simple when your OL is a sick joke is like worrying about repositioning your sails when your hull is breeched.......
That all depends on the position of the hull breech.
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

VikingPaul73 wrote:Well I admit I thought you were a crackpot for posting this poll but it turns out you were just a genius 1 week ahead of his time!!!!
Lol
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Raptorman wrote:Can I change my vote? :lol:
Sure haha
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

Just to add a conspiracy factor to all this. All the coachspeak and worship at that presser was a phenomenal acting job. I think they had a falling out on vision. Maybe on just plain coaching. I told you guys he was tired of norv sucking. Norv was gonna get fired so he resigned. And zim had a hand in it. Know the tell?

In his presser he says " i hope we can still remain friends". If turner actually approached him about leaving, why would zim say that? Leads me to believe it was the other way around
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

Boon wrote:Just to add a conspiracy factor to all this. All the coachspeak and worship at that presser was a phenomenal acting job. I think they had a falling out on vision. Maybe on just plain coaching. I told you guys he was tired of norv sucking. Norv was gonna get fired so he resigned. And zim had a hand in it. Know the tell?

In his presser he says " i hope we can still remain friends". If turner actually approached him about leaving, why would zim say that? Leads me to believe it was the other way around
Clearly there was pressure on Norv whether Zimmer intentionally exerted it or not. His presser could have been a huge coverup to protect Norv from the damaging impact of being fired, but I don't think so. Norv was clearly miffed by Zimmer's suggestions about how to run the offense, and this could cause a rift in the friendship that Zimmer expressed concern about.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Purple Martin wrote: Clearly there was pressure on Norv whether Zimmer intentionally exerted it or not. His presser could have been a huge coverup to protect Norv from the damaging impact of being fired, but I don't think so. Norv was clearly miffed by Zimmer's suggestions about how to run the offense, and this could cause a rift in the friendship that Zimmer expressed concern about.

That's my read too. I believe Zimmer has amped up the intensity and demands on Norv lately and that Norv didn't take too kindly to the criticism. He probably kept stating, "how do you want me to succeed with all of the injuries we've had and with this slapdash OL?" I can imagine Zim responding, "just do it!"

Wobby's interview of Kevin Seifert is worth a watch; I think Seifert typically has a pretty level-headed common sense read on this team:
http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... 10a2560f14
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Im going to vote no..... :whistle:
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Texas Vike wrote:Wobby's interview of Kevin Seifert is worth a watch; I think Seifert typically has a pretty level-headed common sense read on this team:
http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... 10a2560f14
Agreed. Good interview.

Seifert always presents a well thought out case for his viewpoints. His thoughts about the impact of the injuries seems correct. Not that I don't think the Vikings were incorrectly utilizing some of their skill player talent but one cannot ignore the loss of important players.