It's panic time

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Grashopa
Franchise Player

Re: It's panic time

Post by Grashopa »

Last week wasn't so bad since it was a top team in the conference. But to come back this week and look worse against the worst team in the conference is simply brutal.

Yes, the tackles suck, but Fusco was getting pushed back into Bradfords lap all game also. Just terrible. I dont see a trade going down today, hopefully they can figure something out (i dont know what). On to the next i guess...
Formerly AADPFan
Husker Vike
Franchise Player

Post by Husker Vike »

Fusco was just about as bad as Clemmings, he was constantly getting pushed backwards and Clemmings didn't act like he had a clue as to what he should be doing. Berger even looked bad on quite a few plays,Sirles at least seemed fired up and was not as big a liability as the others.
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

Same old Minnesota Vikings. I turned off the game at half time and I wasn't wrong in doing so.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Hunter Morrow wrote:I don't even think the offensive line would be any good if all the injured people were healthy. We are on a desperation QB playing with third stringer and desperation RBs with a decent receiving corps, I suppose.

The play and play calling sucks. They have been back to back exposed.

Remaining Schedule

Lions
Redskins
Cardinals
Lions
Cowboys
Jaguars
Colts
Packers Road Game
Bears

Who knows? I can see half of that list that we lose.
It starts with the Lions. Matt Stafford is playing at an MVP level. They're actually a BETTER team without Calvin Johnson. I mean, Jay Freaking Cutler just shredded us. What is Stafford going to do?

I'm very worried about this season.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Disagree again. Coaching? We are missing the two most important positions on the OL. Starting a guy off the street and an absolute bum in Clemmings. What do you expect a coach to do?? They can't do anything with these guys. Chicago was missing two interior players. Much different than two tackles. If I don't see a trade on my phone tomorrow, I'll truly be upset. Trade Floyd, Wright, Eric Sugarman....I really don't care at this point. You aren't going to find jack crap in the 2nd round of the draft at LT. RT who knows but it takes time for later round rookies to develop. If it isn't Thomas or Staley, find someone else. Anyone better than these piles of garbage

The Vikings have 3 main issues on offense and coaching is one of them. If you know your offensive line is bad, why are you calling for 7 step drops? That's a coaching issue. Why are you calling for 5 WRs. That's a coaching issue. Great coaches know their weaknesses and are able to bridge that gap. I put that on Zimmer for not being more involved in the game plan, turner for not being adaptable and Sparano, whose blocking scheme doesn't seem to fit the personnel. Though I will agree there might not be any scheme that helps these guys.

We know that the O Line is terrible, but bradford being an immobile quarterback makes it worse. Just look at how bad the Seahawks have been since Wilson has lost his mobility through injury. He was able to make up for some of their o line deficiencies because defenses had to remain honest in fear of his running ability, bradford does not have that same skill set and he has so far been a sitting duck. Something has to change or the vikings won't make the playoffs.
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

Pondering Her Percy wrote: Disagree again. Coaching? We are missing the two most important positions on the OL. Starting a guy off the street and an absolute bum in Clemmings. What do you expect a coach to do?? They can't do anything with these guys. Chicago was missing two interior players. Much different than two tackles. If I don't see a trade on my phone tomorrow, I'll truly be upset. Trade Floyd, Wright, Eric Sugarman....I really don't care at this point. You aren't going to find jack crap in the 2nd round of the draft at LT. RT who knows but it takes time for later round rookies to develop. If it isn't Thomas or Staley, find someone else. Anyone better than these piles of garbage
Our coaches can't do anything with anybody they've had for the last 3 years. Everything has changed at one time or another (or all at once) except two things: the top offensive coach and the results. When you change all the variables except one and get the same or worse result, you have isolated a key problem. Coaching. Norv Turner needs to go, and he needs to go now. We have nothing to lose because we can't get any worse.
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

MrPurplenGold wrote:
The Vikings have 3 main issues on offense and coaching is one of them. If you know your offensive line is bad, why are you calling for 7 step drops? That's a coaching issue. Why are you calling for 5 WRs. That's a coaching issue. Great coaches know their weaknesses and are able to bridge that gap. I put that on Zimmer for not being more involved in the game plan, turner for not being adaptable and Sparano, whose blocking scheme doesn't seem to fit the personnel. Though I will agree there might not be any scheme that helps these guys.

We know that the O Line is terrible, but bradford being an immobile quarterback makes it worse. Just look at how bad the Seahawks have been since Wilson has lost his mobility through injury. He was able to make up for some of their o line deficiencies because defenses had to remain honest in fear of his running ability, bradford does not have that same skill set and he has so far been a sitting duck. Something has to change or the vikings won't make the playoffs.
I'm talking from Sporano's point of view. It's not his fault the line is this bad. I'm beyond frustrated with Zimmer and Turner right now believe me. And I'm about to be beyond frustrated with Spielman after we dont make any kind of trade when 4pm ET hits.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Trade, trade, trade...how many draft picks from the next two drafts are they supposed to give up in an effort to turn this season into THE season? They've already given up a first in 2017 and potentially a second in 2018. A trade might make sense but this team doesn't look one tackle away from a Super Bowl and the team should keep that in perspective.

The Vikes made this bed and they might just have to lie in it.
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

Hunter Morrow wrote:I don't even think the offensive line would be any good if all the injured people were healthy. We are on a desperation QB playing with third stringer and desperation RBs with a decent receiving corps, I suppose.

The play and play calling sucks. They have been back to back exposed.

Remaining Schedule

Lions
Redskins
Cardinals
Lions
Cowboys
Jaguars
Colts
Packers Road Game
Bears

Who knows? I can see half of that list that we lose.
We make the playoffs by winning half i reckon. However, i cant see us winning that many
Pondering Her Percy
Hall of Famer

Post by Pondering Her Percy »

Mothman wrote:
Trade, trade, trade...how many draft picks from the next two drafts are they supposed to give up in an effort to turn this season into THE season? They've already given up a first in 2017 and potentially a second in 2018. A trade might make sense but this team doesn't look one tackle away from a Super Bowl and the team should keep that in perspective.

The Vikes made this bed and they might just have to lie in it.
So what are they then?? Two tackles away from a Super Bowl?? They managed to do half way decent with Kalil and Smith in there leading us up to 5-0 against good teams. No less it gives us a LT for the next 3 years at least given their current contracts. So instead, we should "hope" we find a LT AND RT in free agency and the draft without a first round pick??? Why dont you go take a look at last years draft class. And see how many tackles went in the 2nd and 3rd round and how many tackles from the second round on are even starting anywhere. There is next to none.

So in turn, we save our 2nd or 3rd or 4th to draft an OT to come in as a backup like everyone else did this past year?? OH WAIT, they have to come in and are forced to START because both of our original starting tackles are free agents next year. And bums to boot. If we can wheel a trade where we give up a 2nd, Wright and another player to get Thomas or Staley, essentially we took Thomas or Staley in the 2nd round. And gave up at least one guy that is hardly ever active. Instead of drafting a guy we have to develop for 3 years. Granted, Thomas and Staley are owed more money but I'd much rather go in that direction than any other.

I'll repeat once again that we DONT HAVE A FIRST. Which means we are out of the running for a top OT. Why not trade that second away to get a proven one.

You dont just "lie in the bed" after a 5-0 start. You DO something about it. Because then everything else becomes a waste. This defense becomes a waste. The Bradford trade is a waste. Everything we've done the first 5 games is a waste.
The saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices you make will shape your life forever.
-Chazz Palminteri
VikingsKid28
Starter

Post by VikingsKid28 »

I certainly have not been a fan of the Vikes for nearly as long as most of the guys on this board, nor have I experienced countless losing seasons. One thing I know for sure is that this team is far from done. If anyone recalls last season, we had quite a few games that really didn't go the way we hoped, for example, losing 20-3 against SF, 38-7 against SEA, and 30-13 against GB. Okay so we've lost back to back games on the road. Easy to say these guys lost all momentum. But we have to put into account that these guys are professionals. We've hit a rough patch on the season, but there's still lots of football to be played. These guys are gonna fix the issues, I have too much faith right now. Whatever is going on, I think we're gonna bounce back. I hope teams continue to sleep on us. SKOL
It's a great day to be great
mondry
Hall of Famer

Post by mondry »

No point in making any trades if Norv's still the OC. Let's face it, he's been mediocre to bad every time he hasn't had at least 3 hall of famers on his offense so unless we can get aikman, smith, irving, and their o-line in their primes or Rivers / LT / Gates in their primes, players aren't the answer.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

we just got dominated by the WORST team in the league.
Having NO OL makes every other position meaningless.
Management better not respond by making some PR moves and chopping off some heads to create an illusion of fixing things. The ONLY head that needs to roll is Spielman, who has spent years ignoring the OL and making wrong moves when he DID draft any OL.....
This is NOT the fault of the QB, the OC, the RB, or Zim....no one can do their job right now with no OL on the field.....
The season is a total bust. Every draft choice we get should go to the OL.
Now I must go back to work and listen to a bunch of gloating Bear fans all day! :puke:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Pondering Her Percy wrote:So what are they then?? Two tackles away from a Super Bowl??

Probably more than that. I don't know. I'm just saying, they should proceed with caution and be careful about giving up too much of their future in a desperate attempt to win this year.
They managed to do half way decent with Kalil and Smith in there leading us up to 5-0 against good teams. No less it gives us a LT for the next 3 years at least given their current contracts. So instead, we should "hope" we find a LT AND RT in free agency and the draft without a first round pick??? Why dont you go take a look at last years draft class. And see how many tackles went in the 2nd and 3rd round and how many tackles from the second round on are even starting anywhere. There is next to none.

So in turn, we save our 2nd or 3rd or 4th to draft an OT to come in as a backup like everyone else did this past year?? OH WAIT, they have to come in and are forced to START because both of our original starting tackles are free agents next year. And bums to boot. If we can wheel a trade where we give up a 2nd, Wright and another player to get Thomas or Staley, essentially we took Thomas or Staley in the 2nd round. And gave up at least one guy that is hardly ever active. Instead of drafting a guy we have to develop for 3 years. Granted, Thomas and Staley are owed more money but I'd much rather go in that direction than any other.

I'll repeat once again that we DONT HAVE A FIRST. Which means we are out of the running for a top OT. Why not trade that second away to get a proven one.
Please, calm down a little, You're "shouting" in all caps in multiple threads.

I'm not saying a trade isn't worth considering, just that it needs to be carefully considered and there are consequences to giving up a second round pick or more for a 31 year old tackle who costs a lot more against the cap. As I said above, it might make sense... it depends on the trade.
You dont just "lie in the bed" after a 5-0 start. You DO something about it.
Only if it's a wise move in both the short and long term. There's a case to be made either way. I've seen the consequences of this team giving up too many future picks in trade and the hindrance that can be in the future. I've also seen what happens when they go "all in" for one season without sufficient regard for future consequences.
Because then everything else becomes a waste. This defense becomes a waste. The Bradford trade is a waste. Everything we've done the first 5 games is a waste.
The Bradford trade doesn't become a waste because the Bradford trade wasn't just for this year. If a 5-0 start gets wasted, that would be unfortunate.

If they trade for Staley or Thomas and adding a tackle doesn't turn out to be the secret ingredient that wins them the Super Bowl, isn't the season a "waste" by the standards you're applying above anyway?

Again, I'm not opposed to a trade but it's not a simple impulsive no-brainer. The present and future costs matter. The age and salary of the player acquired matters. The length of that player's remaining contract matters. It's not a decision to be made rashly.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

It also doesn't help that bradford has the mobility of a dude in a wheelchair, and thats pushing it. Even brady can escape and get yards. Anyone else see that one play where clemmings pushed the DE up field and instead of cutting in and having a pocket bradford ran left right into it and got sacked?

We have one option, call different plays. Faster ones. They're not gonna block. Its just not gonna happen. Put patterson at rb, activate treadwell as a wr and hope for gashes. Asiata isnt scaring anybody. There is no run game. And bradford cant run at all so stop calling roll outs. He looks HORRIBAD when he runs. There is no fluidity in his running.makes me cringe.