Game Day! Bears vs. Vikings MNF

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Game Day! Bears vs. Vikings MNF

Post by Texas Vike »

Happy Halloween!

It's time to right the ship boys!

To those of you in MN, I hope you don't have a repeat of the great blizzard of '91. The Star Tribune had a nostalgic piece on it to commemorate 25 years. I feel old. Here in North TX the high will be near 90 today; unreal.

Random question:
what's the origin / reason for the Bears' name? Is there any connection to the Cubs? Chicago is about the last place on earth I'd expect to find either, even pre-European settlement.

Back to football: the big question on everyone's mind is whether our OL straightens out or whether the Eagles just gave the whole league a blue print for whooping on us. I'm guessing we win tonight, but it won't be as easy as it should be due to our line.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Game Day! Bears vs. Vikings MNF

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Happy Halloween!

It's time to right the ship boys!

To those of you in MN, I hope you don't have a repeat of the great blizzard of '91. The Star Tribune had a nostalgic piece on it to commemorate 25 years. I feel old. Here in North TX the high will be near 90 today; unreal.

Random question:
what's the origin / reason for the Bears' name? Is there any connection to the Cubs?

Yes. the Bears began as the Decatur Staleys. They moved to Chicago and for one season, they were the Chicago Staleys. In 1922 George Halas changed their name to the Chicago Bears to reflect the name of the Cubs. This was done because the Cubs were the team's host at that time. The Bears played their games in Wrigley Field.
Chicago is about the last place on earth I'd expect to find either, even pre-European settlement.
:lol: Yes, neither team is named because Chicago was swarming with bears!

The Cubs came about their name because it was used in a newspaper article to describe the team's young, promising roster.
Back to football: the big question on everyone's mind is whether our OL straightens out or whether the Eagles just gave the whole league a blue print for whooping on us. I'm guessing we win tonight, but it won't be as easy as it should be due to our line.
I think it will play out that way too. I see turnovers being a BIG factor in this one. The Bears defense is pretty good so they could create real problems for the Vikes but I expect them to struggle mightily to score against the Vikings defense.

I just read an article about this blueprint idea earlier this morning. What interesting about that subject to me is that so much of the post-Eagles game discussion has focused on their blitzing. Aside from forcing turnovers, I think the real key to their "blueprint" was taking away Bradford's outside options and winning one-on-one matchups at the line of scrimmage. The blitzes were a factor but the Vikings struggling o-line and running game has increasingly forced them to turn to a "quick release" passing game. I think the key to beating their offense is to jam receivers, take away some of those quick, timing options in the passing game and then just win up front. The latter is less a matter of strategy and more about just winning with personnel. If the Bears can do that, it could be another long night for the Vikes offense and the defense and special teams may need to carry them to victory.

I'll say this: Long is still new to the team and appeared very rusty. If the Vikes put him out there again, I'd blitz right at him and force him to not only make blocks but make choices about who he's supposed to block. The Eagles really took advantage of him.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

The Bears secondary is pretty crappy, their linebackers are depleted. Bradford should be able to do well with a quick release passing game across the middle of the field. The OL will have to give him 2 seconds, which any mediocre OL in the NLF should do....but we are less then mediocre so this could be an embarrassing loss to a truly awful Bears team.

Cutler is guaranteed to give us at least one pick-6 tho :govikes:
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Mothman wrote:

Yes. the Bears began as the Decatur Staleys. They moved to Chicago and for one season, they were the Chicago Staleys. In 1922 George Halas changed their name to the Chicago Bears to reflect the name of the Cubs. This was done because the Cubs were the team's host at that time. The Bears played their games in Wrigley Field.
:lol: Yes, neither team is named because Chicago was swarming with bears!

The Cubs came about their name because it was used in a newspaper article to describe the team's young, promising roster.
I think it will play out that way too. I see turnovers being a BIG factor in this one. The Bears defense is pretty good so they could create real problems for the Vikes but I expect them to struggle mightily to score against the Vikings defense.

I just read an article about this blueprint idea earlier this morning. What interesting about that subject to me is that so much of the post-Eagles game discussion has focused on their blitzing. Aside from forcing turnovers, I think the real key to their "blueprint" was taking away Bradford's outside options and winning one-on-one matchups at the line of scrimmage. The blitzes were a factor but the Vikings struggling o-line and running game has increasingly forced them to turn to a "quick release" passing game. I think the key to beating their offense is to jam receivers, take away some of those quick, timing options in the passing game and then just win up front. The latter is less a matter of strategy and more about just winning with personnel. If the Bears can do that, it could be another long night for the Vikes offense and the defense and special teams may need to carry them to victory.

I'll say this: Long is still new to the team and appeared very rusty. If the Vikes put him out there again, I'd blitz right at him and force him to not only make blocks but make choices about who he's supposed to block. The Eagles really took advantage of him.

Jim, great post! Thanks for the history lesson. What a goofy way to name a team. I suppose the Lions were named in a similar manner--likely a response to the Bears. I prefer teams names like the Vikings or the Buccaneers; something that reflects the culture/history of the place or at least something idiosyncratic about the region that the team represents.

I also really enjoyed your game breakdown. Very insightful. I differ from some posters--I think our OL last week was SIGNIFICANTLY worse than previous games and I think it is the single most important factor for this team this season and moving forward. If they can't protect Bradford or open holes for Asiata, we're not going to score points on O and we'll depend on ST and D to score, a scary prospect even if it weren't Halloween!

Over / under and number of times the doorbell rings when I'm trying to watch the game? 7:45-8, I'm turning the lights out and hitting play on the DVR. Hopefully we don't get TP'd! :lol:
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:Jim, great post!

Thanks!
Thanks for the history lesson. What a goofy way to name a team. I suppose the Lions were named in a similar manner--likely a response to the Bears. I prefer teams names like the Vikings or the Buccaneers; something that reflects the culture/history of the place or at least something idiosyncratic about the region that the team represents.

I prefer it when a team name has some connection to the region too, although I do think "Bears" is a cool name for a football team. :)
I also really enjoyed your game breakdown. Very insightful. I differ from some posters--I think our OL last week was SIGNIFICANTLY worse than previous games and I think it is the single most important factor for this team this season and moving forward. If they can't protect Bradford or open holes for Asiata, we're not going to score points on O and we'll depend on ST and D to score, a scary prospect even if it weren't Halloween!
It's definitely scary and I agree that the OL will be a big determining factor for the team as we move forward this season.
Over / under and number of times the doorbell rings when I'm trying to watch the game? 7:45-8, I'm turning the lights out and hitting play on the DVR. Hopefully we don't get TP'd! :lol:
:lol: Good luck!
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

I always thought their name stems from the fact that they are BEARly watchable........... :v):
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Any news on McPhee? He was limited this week in practice.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Yeah the blueprint or formula is my
main concern, well other than the fact
we have had the same problem for years
and it's not fixed.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
CbusVikesFan
All Pro Elite Player

Post by CbusVikesFan »

Vikings can do themselves a big favor with a win tonight. Falcons did us a favor.whoop whoop!
Don't hate on my Buckeyes. Some of the best Vikings went to Ohio State.
Including now, HOF WR #80 Cris Carter
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

I'm looking forward to seeing what the Vikings offense is going to show tonight.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

Looking forward to watching Hillman run. I have a feeling he's going to change some things for the better in that regard, call it a hunch!

Man am I looking forward to this game!!!
DMB1MT
Practice Squad

Post by DMB1MT »

Good luck tonight my fellow Viking brothers.
Let's get this ship sailing smooth again.

SKOL Vikings :smilevike:
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

RFIP wrote:Looking forward to watching Hillman run. I have a feeling he's going to change some things for the better in that regard, call it a hunch!

Man am I looking forward to this game!!!
Hillman is a guy who has always been stuck behind one or two backs on every roster he's been on, and then when he gets a chance, he does really well.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing him play, as well.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.