Trade in the works for O-line?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Re: Trade in the works for O-line?

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

As reported on the Rich Eisen show today, the price for Staley is supposedly a 2nd-round draft pick.

The problem is the Vikings have no cap space.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:As reported on the Rich Eisen show today, the price for Staley is supposedly a 2nd-round draft pick.

The problem is the Vikings have no cap space.
They'd have to get someone to restructure a contract.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote: They'd have to get someone to restructure a contract.
I wonder how serious they are about Peterson going forward. The timing is weird but if they have inklings about wanting him on the roster past this year that could be an interesting way to free some space. I'd also hate to say it but cutting Harris outright is an option. In hindsight, cutting Kalil and using that $11M to sign someone else on the left side would've been a good idea.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:I wonder how serious they are about Peterson going forward. The timing is weird but if they have inklings about wanting him on the roster past this year that could be an interesting way to free some space.
Ditto for Kalil. If either player would be willing to renegotiate or extend their deal during this season, it could help the Vikes free up cap space 9that's IF the Vikes are interested in bringing Kalil back). Peterson probably makes more sense...
I'd also hate to say it but cutting Harris outright is an option. In hindsight, cutting Kalil and using that $11M to sign someone else on the left side would've been a good idea.
If they'd known he was going to miss most of the season anyway it would have been a no-brainer!
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

VikingLord wrote:Spielman has got to be careful here. Not only are the Vikes hard up against the cap, but as I see it they don't have any good trade options. He already shipped next year's 1st and what will probably end up being at least a 3rd for Bradford. Now if he has to dump another high pick for an OL and maybe a player he'd better be sure it's going to turn out as well as it did with Bradford.

As far as trade bait, I can only think of one or two guys who might have real value on the market at this point (those being Patterson and maybe Floyd). I think Floyd would be hard to ship mostly because he's a very good player who can't stay on the field, plus it isn't like there are a bunch of teams out there pining for interior DL at this point in the season. Patterson could attract some interest as he's been much more effective as of late, but then again, he's been much more effective as of late. It would be hard to trade one of the guys who is actually putting points on the board for an OL at this point, not to mention Patterson is entering the prime of his career at this point and could be a mainstay on offense now for the next 4 years if he continues to play like he has recently.
The Vikings may just have to bite the bullet this year when it comes to the offensive line. Besides, the OL should and could have been dealt with far more efficiently in the past. Now they might have to wait until the next draft and free agency, plus they must deal with their cap issues first.

As for Patterson, the Vikings should re-sign him to a new deal. He's too valuable on special teams and offense to let go.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

losperros wrote:As for Patterson, the Vikings should re-sign him to a new deal. He's too valuable on special teams and offense to let go.
Agree 100%....Patterson showing good signs of improvement regarding his receiver skills coupled with his obvious talent on STs makes him pretty darned valuable imho.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

autobon7 wrote: Agree 100%....Patterson showing good signs of improvement regarding his receiver skills coupled with his obvious talent on STs makes him pretty darned valuable imho.
and he'll probably not re-sign because of his two year exile by turner
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

They'd have to get someone to restructure a contract.
It would be worth it IMO because Staley and Boone have played together and
would solve half of the OL's issues.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
HardcoreVikesFan
Hall of Famer

Post by HardcoreVikesFan »

I don't see a trade coming - unless the line totally craps the bed again against Chicago.
A Randy Moss fan for life. A Kevin Williams fan for life.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

HardcoreVikesFan wrote:I don't see a trade coming - unless the line totally craps the bed again against Chicago.
How much more crap does the bed need? Gracious.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

Makes me wonder why Rick didnt see this coming, but just about all my friends did. 2 drafts and 2 years to do trades and he did very little. Yet Zim got his D.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Article on how Vikings could possibly acquire Joe Thomas.

http://kfan.iheart.com/onair/vikings-bl ... -15235603/
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

halfgiz wrote:Article on how Vikings could possibly acquire Joe Thomas.

http://kfan.iheart.com/onair/vikings-bl ... -15235603/
Its a good article and it makes sense. I would gladly give up next year's 2nd for Thomas. Plus if you give them Wright, maybe they would accept a 3rd?
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Latest reports out of Cleveland are that they're not moving Joe Thomas.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

I'd love for us to snag Joe Thomas and then move Jake Long to RT. I don't even care if we give up next year's second round pick. The guys we've been drafting in the first two rounds the past couple years aren't even playing anyway. Then next year move Kalil over to RT when he's healthy. Boom. Offensive line fixed for a few years while we can draft more guys in 2018.