Vikings not worried about QB Sam Bradford after ugly outing

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Vikings not worried about QB Sam Bradford after ugly outing

Post by Mothman »

http://www.twincities.com/2016/10/27/vi ... ly-outing/
Along with Boone, several other Minnesota offensive linemen have said they must help Bradford with improved pass protection. Johnson and fellow receiver Adam Thielen said they must get open more.

Bradford, though, says there are things he must do better.

“Obviously, there were times I could have gotten it out quicker,” he said of his first return to Philadelphia since his Sept. 3 trade from the Eagles. “I think when you look at it, it’s all of us. I’ve got to find ways to get the ball out.”

Of Bradford’s four fumbles, the Eagles recovered two in the first half and the Vikings recovered two in the second half. Bradford said he should have held onto the final two.

“(I) can be better with two hands on it, especially in traffic,” Bradford said. “At that point in the game, I realize that we had seen quite a bit of pressure in the middle. …I have to be more aware of my surrounding, keeping two hands on it and making sure that it’s secure when I’m in the pocket.”

There is one area, though, in which Bradford says he really does need some help. The Vikings are 31st out of 32 NFL teams with an average of 74.3 yards rushing per game, and have a paltry average of 2.6 yards per carry.
Do people realize just how bad that ypc average is? The last time a team averaged less than 3 yards per carry in a season was 1994, when the Patriots averaged 2.8. The Vikes really do need to get their running game going to take some pressure off the passing game.

Bradford's right in saying he needs to show better pocket awareness than he showed on Sunday too. I suspect he will...
losperros
Commissioner

Re: Vikings not worried about QB Sam Bradford after ugly out

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote:Do people realize just how bad that ypc average is? The last time a team averaged less than 3 yards per carry in a season was 1994, when the Patriots averaged 2.8. The Vikes really do need to get their running game going to take some pressure off the passing game.

Bradford's right in saying he needs to show better pocket awareness than he showed on Sunday too. I suspect he will...
It's an embarrassing ypc average. But then, the Vikings couldn't run the ball with AD back there either this season. I still say an absence of athleticism by the OL plays a big part in the horrid run and pass blocking. I'm sure poor technique is also a cause but these guys often look like lumbering drunken sumo wrestlers. They're supposed to be professional NFL linemen. As I said in another post, the OL has to man up and play above themselves, if need be. They're taking down the entire offense.

I'm not concerned about Bradford's abilities. He'll play better than last week. We've already seen him do it. OTOH, I'm still concerned about Bradford staying healthy, given the free access pass rushers have been getting to him.
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

Good to see everyone holding themselves accountable. The run game DEFINITELY needs to improve. It seemed like they were more productive running out of the gun last week than under center. Maybe they can throw in more runs out of that formation.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

S197 wrote:Good to see everyone holding themselves accountable. The run game DEFINITELY needs to improve. It seemed like they were more productive running out of the gun last week than under center. Maybe they can throw in more runs out of that formation.
Stats can be misleading.

I've always said you're a good passing team if you can pass it when the D KNOWS you have to pass it. Conversely, good run teams run it when the D is loading the box expecting run.

Right now the Vikings are not good in either of those scenarios. Which makes it hard to come back late in games because your OL can't hold up AND it makes it hard to run your 4:00 minute offense because if you run on first and second downs you are typically in 3rd and long, followed by a punt.

All of which puts more and more burden on the defense.

I found Zim's comments interesting yesterday when he said how much the O has changed since the off season. He said we want to be a run-first team but all the defenses are gearing to stop the run, which is putting the Vike's in 2nd and 10+

Norv needs to start some tendency breakers this Monday, i.e. first down pass plays from under center, some fake smoke screens with a deeper ball behind it, etc.

It does no good to have a run of 7 on 3rd and 15, just like a 10 yard pass reception on 3rd and 15...except it makes bad stats look a little less bad.

PS I look forward to seeing more of Hillman totting the rock. McKinnon is a nice change of pace but he's incapable to moving a pile and his forward progress ALWAYS stops on first contact, meaning he NEVER falls forward. And extra 1-2 yards this way on even short runs make all the difference in down & distance the rest of the drive.
PurpleMustReign
Starting Wide Receiver

Post by PurpleMustReign »

Its all because AD has lost a step and is old... He is ruined the team from the sideline.
The Devil whispered in the Viking's ear, "There's a storm coming." The Viking replied, "I am the storm." ‪#‎SKOL2018
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

Some version of the WCO would probably be best. Dink and dunk and hoping for Patterson or Diggs to make a play outside of the 'design'.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
FullWood
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by FullWood »

They should. He looked rattled.
soflavike
Hall of Famer

Post by soflavike »

I'm just thankful that Bradford didn't leave the game with an injury. The line was useless tonight.
A die-hard Vikings fan in South Florida
5thWave
Backup

Post by 5thWave »

Bradford didn't have a single fumble last night.

Hey, gotta find something positive!
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

I'm not worried about him. He's shown he's a good QB. I'm more worried FOR him.