Andy Benoit: Vikings Have a Big Problem

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Andy Benoit: Vikings Have a Big Problem

Post by Mothman »

VikingLord wrote:I have said the same thing, but I'm not as inclined to indict the entire plan based on this last game.
I'm not either.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

The defense is ranked #1 and the offense is ranked 31th that speaks volumes. Last year offense 29th.
Our problem is a combination of Rick,Norv & some bad luck with injuries.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

I've said this a dozen times if I've said it once, but here we go again.

Rick Spielman's philosophy for the offensive line is not like the Dallas Cowboys, who expend one first-round pick after another on linemen. The Vikings simply don't do that. They draft linemen primarily in the middle rounds and try to develop the players. This is not an uncommon draft philosophy around the NFL. It's just not.

Why do the Vikings do this? It's hard to understand motivations, but to me, Matt Kalil is a perfect example. He was "can't miss" at No. 4 overall, and he had a brilliant rookie season that culminated in a Pro Bowl appearance. The rest of his career ... a complete waste of a first-round pick. Drafting linemen is a huge hit-and-miss proposition, perhaps more than any other position.

Some of you may DISAGREE with that philosophy, and that's perfectly fine. Heck, I'm not even sure how I feel about it. But to say the Vikings have done NOTHING about the offensive line simply isn't true. They've addressed talent, and they've addressed depth. They just haven't done it in the specific WAY that some of you want them to do.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

J. Kapp 11 wrote: They just haven't done it in the specific WAY that some of you want them to do.
I am not concerned so much with style points as I am with results.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:I've said this a dozen times if I've said it once, but here we go again.

Some of you may DISAGREE with that philosophy, and that's perfectly fine. Heck, I'm not even sure how I feel about it. But to say the Vikings have done NOTHING about the offensive line simply isn't true. They've addressed talent, and they've addressed depth. They just haven't done it in the specific WAY that some of you want them to do.
Look at the results...something needs to change.

Look how the defense has turned it around in 3 years. The offense is stagnate.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

halfgiz wrote: Look at the results...something needs to change.

Look how the defense has turned it around in 3 years. The offense is stagnate.

That's just it. The philosophy is both understandable and justifiable but it hasn't yielded the necessary results and when that happens (and it's been happening too long) the approach needs to change.
MrPurplenGold
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by MrPurplenGold »

For the vikings to do anything in free agency to shore up the offensive line, they are going to have to do something about the contracts of bradford and Peterson. in 2017 they will combine for a whopping 35 million in cap space. THIS doesn't include an extension for Xavier Rhodes that of course should be in the works. Unless some other team takes a flier on Khalil, you're almost going to have to bring him back, look at another tackle in free agency as well as the draft. LUCKILY the core of the team should remain in tact with no glaring issues outside of the O Line.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

one of the things that annoys me most about our approach to the OL is that we've thrown a lot of money at it. Our investments have been exceptionally poor here, I'd have to think a smart overhauling of the line would free up major cash. Anyone with a good handle on the team's finances here?
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Texas Vike wrote:one of the things that annoys me most about our approach to the OL is that we've thrown a lot of money at it. Our investments have been exceptionally poor here, I'd have to think a smart overhauling of the line would free up major cash. Anyone with a good handle on the team's finances here?
Kalil is costing them $11,096,000 this season and will be a UFA in 2017.

Boone signed a 4 year, $26,800,000 contract. His cap hit in each year of the deal is $6,700,000.

Berger's cap hit this season is $1,610,000. Next year (the last year of his contract) it's $1,880,000.

Fusco's cap hit this year is $4,050,000. It goes up from here to $4.8 million in 2017 and is basically $5.8 in each of the following 2 seasons. his "dead cap" money goes down after this year to $1.6 M in 2017 and $800,000 in 2018 so after this season, it becomes easier to cut him if the Vikes want to go that route.

Smith signed a one year deal and his cap hit is $3,468,750.

Clemmings is on his rookie contract and not costing much. Harris is a UFA after this season. neither are making much in NFL terms.

I think the rest of the OL contracts are minimal by NFL standards.

Further along these lines:

http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/mi ... ord-102716
The Vikings didn't draft an offensive lineman until the fourth round, when they took guard Willie Beavers. He was released before the start of the regular season, before being added to the practice squad and elevated to the active roster after the injuries piled up.

They spent money, though, by signing Boone and right tackle Andre Smith. With Smith and left tackle Matt Kalil on injured reserve and another starter from last year, Mike Harris, out indefinitely with an illness, the Vikings have the third-highest allocation of their salary-cap figure to the offensive line in the league.
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Something else I'm struggling understanding is the handling of the receivers.
First it was Patterson, now Wright who was a 450yd receiver last year. Not to mention Treadwell doesn't even have a catch this season. Might as well have spent that 1st round on OT.

Anybody care to explain to me what's going on with the receivers?

If they wouldn't have Kalil our offensive cap space wouldn't look bad.
Last edited by halfgiz on Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

halfgiz wrote:Something else I'm struggling understanding is the handling of the receivers.
First it was Patterson, now Wright who was our leading receiver last year. Not to mention Treadwell doesn't even have a catch this season. Might as well have spent that 1st round on OT.

I have no idea. I was baffled by the way they handled Patterson and I'm baffled by the way they've handled Wright this year. Treadwell's a rookie so maybe they just feel he has too much left to learn. :confused:

The way the Vikes have handled the QB position over the years confuses me too.
If they would have got rid of Kalil our offensive cap space wouldn't look bad.
True, but they wouldn't have had a decent left tackle (not that they do anyway!).
S197
Fenrir

Post by S197 »

halfgiz wrote:Something else I'm struggling understanding is the handling of the receivers.
First it was Patterson, now Wright who was a 450yd receiver last year. Not to mention Treadwell doesn't even have a catch this season. Might as well have spent that 1st round on OT.

If they wouldn't have Kalil our offensive cap space wouldn't look bad.
I think Wright has just been outplayed by Thielen. They are both good route runners but Thielen has more size to go with the speed. He also has really good hands. He seems like a better compliment to Diggs. No idea what's going on with Treadwell but the staff have been known to not throw rookie's in right away unless necessary. With Patterson's concussion, perhaps this is the week we see meaningful snaps from Treadwell.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Mothman wrote:
That's just it. The philosophy is both understandable and justifiable but it hasn't yielded the necessary results and when that happens (and it's been happening too long) the approach needs to change.
I don't disagree. I'm just saying, in the minds of Vikings management, they HAVE addressed it.

Here's what I do know ... we can't have any more games like the contest against Philly. That was a horror show. If it continues, we're going to be stuck watching Shaun Hill because Bradford is going to get killed.
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

J. Kapp 11 wrote:I don't disagree. I'm just saying, in the minds of Vikings management, they HAVE addressed it.
Oh, I agree with you. That's part of what's frustrating about the situation.
Here's what I do know ... we can't have any more games like the contest against Philly. That was a horror show. If it continues, we're going to be stuck watching Shaun Hill because Bradford is going to get killed.
I agree about that too. Hopefully, we won't have to watch that horror show again... especially on Monday, when a horror show would be appropriate. ;)
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

Mothman wrote: Oh, I agree with you. That's part of what's frustrating about the situation.
I agree about that too. Hopefully, we won't have to watch that horror show again... especially on Monday, when a horror show would be appropriate. ;)
Bring the horror show TO the Bears.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."