Trade in the works for O-line?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Trade in the works for O-line?

Post by dead_poet »

I hate to put this out there but #VikingsTwitter is going nuts. Origin is Pete Carol saying the Vikes made a "big move" for an o-lineman. Most believe he was referencing Jake Long but I've been seeing a bit more smoke in the last half hour. We'll see but I have no idea how they'd do it with the cap situation and Rick's protection of draft picks ESPECIALLY after giving away premium picks for Bradford.

Stay tuned I guess.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Trade in the works for O-line?

Post by Mothman »

dead_poet wrote:I hate to put this out there but #VikingsTwitter is going nuts. Origin is Pete Carol saying the Vikes made a "big move" for an o-lineman. Most believe he was referencing Jake Long but I've been seeing a bit more smoke in the last half hour. We'll see but I have no idea how they'd do it with the cap situation and Rick's protection of draft picks ESPECIALLY after giving away premium picks for Bradford.

Stay tuned I guess.

Thanks for the heads up. I guess we'll see...
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I posted a long reply but for some reason it got erased, don't wanna type it again.

1. Long was never a "big" signing, a guy off the street for almost Vet minimum who hasn't played for 2 years, people saying that are dumb IMO
2. Floyd, Waynes, CP84, Tom Johnson, Alexander all come to mind for potential trades Plus a draft pick.
3. I am thinking Thomas or Staley
halfgiz
Career Elite Player

Post by halfgiz »

Norv Zimmer wrote:I posted a long reply but for some reason it got erased, don't wanna type it again.

1. Long was never a "big" signing, a guy off the street for almost Vet minimum who hasn't played for 2 years, people saying that are dumb IMO
2. Floyd, Waynes, CP84, Tom Johnson, Alexander all come to mind for potential trades Plus a draft pick.
3. I am thinking Thomas or Staley
Maybe Boone wants Staley back with him. I agree on the trading players. Wright could also be on the list.
I think that Rick has the ability" to create cap space quickly if needed.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

halfgiz wrote: Maybe Boone wants Staley back with him. I agree on the trading players. Wright could also be on the list.
I think that Rick has the ability" to create cap space quickly if needed.
I would have put wright in the mix... If I thought he had any value. Cant see anyone wanting wright sad to say.
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

Why would Pete Carrol see/know about a Vikings trade before anyone else??
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Stand down. Via Wolfson:
Carroll created a fun talker. But reality tonight is no movement on #Vikings redoing any deals for necessary cap space. Maybe he meant Long.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

Purple Martin wrote:Why would Pete Carrol see/know about a Vikings trade before anyone else??
Well, wasn't it wade phillips that broke the news about Bradford? Denvers d coordinator
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

Norv Zimmer wrote: Well, wasn't it wade phillips that broke the news about Bradford? Denvers d coordinator

I don't know, was it? Same question: Why would Wade know about a trade that didn't involve his team before anyone else knew?
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I don't know , I remember mowing the lawn that morning, when I started they mentioned how wade Phillips tweeted out about the Bradford trade then quickly deleted it. 30 mins later the news broke.
Texas Vike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by Texas Vike »

Norv Zimmer wrote:I don't know , I remember mowing the lawn that morning, when I started they mentioned how wade Phillips tweeted out about the Bradford trade then quickly deleted it. 30 mins later the news broke.
I remember hearing/ reading that too. My guess would be that, like any other profession, folks in the NFL know one another from years back and they talk to one another. Juicy rumors have a way of spreading.
Boon
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Boon »

staley would be a godsend
Beo
Backup

Post by Beo »

Purple Martin wrote:Why would Pete Carrol see/know about a Vikings trade before anyone else??
He easily could have known in my opinion. GM's play other teams against each other all the time as to what other teams will offer them in trades. Maybe Seattle's GM called about Staley or Thomas and one of them said "Minnesota offered Sharrif Floyd and a 3rd Round draft pick so if you can beat that call us back" or something along those lines. GM tells Pete what was said and Pete blabs it out.
VikingLord
Hall of Famer

Post by VikingLord »

Spielman has got to be careful here. Not only are the Vikes hard up against the cap, but as I see it they don't have any good trade options. He already shipped next year's 1st and what will probably end up being at least a 3rd for Bradford. Now if he has to dump another high pick for an OL and maybe a player he'd better be sure it's going to turn out as well as it did with Bradford.

As far as trade bait, I can only think of one or two guys who might have real value on the market at this point (those being Patterson and maybe Floyd). I think Floyd would be hard to ship mostly because he's a very good player who can't stay on the field, plus it isn't like there are a bunch of teams out there pining for interior DL at this point in the season. Patterson could attract some interest as he's been much more effective as of late, but then again, he's been much more effective as of late. It would be hard to trade one of the guys who is actually putting points on the board for an OL at this point, not to mention Patterson is entering the prime of his career at this point and could be a mainstay on offense now for the next 4 years if he continues to play like he has recently.
chicagopurple
All Pro Elite Player

Post by chicagopurple »

one OL player wont turn us around...we need a handful of guys.
A lot of our trades the last few yrs have been with Seattle. I wonder if a trade fell thru and their coach is leaking info as a result.
As stated by others, Long wasn't any big move and cost us next to nothing (which may be exactly what he ends up being worth).