Interesting "First Take" exchanges regardig the vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Interesting "First Take" exchanges regardig the vikings

Post by fiestavike »

If the vikings offense establishes an identity and a rhythm (more productivity), I really think it would be an error to try to shoehorn Peterson into that if he should come off IR.

As comprised, this team is better offensively running a greater percentage of plays out of the gun. Adding Peterson doesn't change that, because there are many other variables that would need to be adjusted in order to make reverting to an under center offense the better option. You have to invest a lot in the OL and RB position to play that way, and I think its clear the Vikings have invested their resources elsewhere, Defense, WR, QB. That's going to be their identity for a the next couple years at least and there's really no place within that identity for Peterson as a major contributor IMO.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Purple Martin wrote:I think you won this round anyway. :wink: I loved watching AP run in his heyday and he can still explode and take it to the house on occasion but all things considered we are a better team with him on the bench, and I think we will only improve from here. In theory we could be just as good with him on the field but in practice it hasn't worked that way in a long time.

I am not really trying to win anything. Moth and I just have different opinions on specific aspects of the team. I'll be the first to admit, if AP comes in in 2 months and runs back to back 100 yard games, I am gonna be eating some crow (happily).
PsyDanny
All Pro Elite Player

Post by PsyDanny »

fiestavike wrote:If the vikings offense establishes an identity and a rhythm (more productivity), I really think it would be an error to try to shoehorn Peterson into that if he should come off IR.

As comprised, this team is better offensively running a greater percentage of plays out of the gun. Adding Peterson doesn't change that, because there are many other variables that would need to be adjusted in order to make reverting to an under center offense the better option. You have to invest a lot in the OL and RB position to play that way, and I think its clear the Vikings have invested their resources elsewhere, Defense, WR, QB. That's going to be their identity for a the next couple years at least and there's really no place within that identity for Peterson as a major contributor IMO.
I do think that AP would have a strong role later in games, when opposition defenses are tired. His strengths would probably become optimal.
"My anterior orifice is forever causing me extreme difficulty;
therefore, I shall endeavor to acquire some self-control."
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

PsyDanny wrote: I do think that AP would have a strong role later in games, when opposition defenses are tired. His strengths would probably become optimal.

No offense to Asiata but I would see AP as a huge improvement over him. I would completely support a system where it was say, a 55-45 split between AP and Mck. the important thing I think, for AP is to start to get the defense more off balanced when he is on the field and for him to develop more into a grinder. He isn't going to break 10 tackles and drag a linebacker for a 20 yard gain at 32. He need to start pounding the rock for the 4-5 yard gains and take the 10-25 yard breaks when they come.
Purple Martin
Starter

Post by Purple Martin »

IrishViking wrote:
I am not really trying to win anything. Moth and I just have different opinions on specific aspects of the team. I'll be the first to admit, if AP comes in in 2 months and runs back to back 100 yard games, I am gonna be eating some crow (happily).
Ah yes, the good old days of 100 yard rushing games where we never put the game away before the final flugelhorn, if we won at all. I remember those days and it tasted as bad as crow to me. I have no desire to see them return.
Mothman wrote:... a good completion percentage in a performance like that is like putting lipstick on a pig.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

The issue to me on AP isn't what he does do well, it is what he doesn't. He has never been great in the passing game and he has proven over the years to generally be below average to poor in pass protection. On top of that, his style demands that the QB take snaps from under center vs. shotgun where shotgun seems to favor the passing QB in today's NFL. He also has had many inopportune fumbles over the course of his career, most notably in playoff games, including last year and the fateful 2009 NFCCG.

In previous seasons his positives made up for those negatives, however it feels like the gap between the good and the bad is shrinking as he ages. It would be unfair to not note that at least some of his performance of late is likely due to the sorry state of the offensive line.

I think his unwillingness or inability (I don't know which it is) to broaden his game is a becoming a bigger and bigger liability, especially at his current cap number. That latter item is really the bottom line on AP in my opinion. If he is not willing to accept a more sober number he will not be in purple next year. That writing has been on the wall all season.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

The issue to me on AP isn't what he does do well, it is what he doesn't. He has never been great in the passing game and he has proven over the years to generally be below average to poor in pass protection. On top of that, his style demands that the QB take snaps from under center vs. shotgun where shotgun seems to favor the passing QB in today's NFL. He also has had many inopportune fumbles over the course of his career, most notably in playoff games, including last year and the fateful 2009 NFCCG.

In previous seasons his positives made up for those negatives, however it feels like the gap between the good and the bad is shrinking as he ages. It would be unfair to not note that at least some of his performance of late is likely due to the sorry state of the offensive line.

I think his unwillingness or inability (I don't know which it is) to broaden his game is a becoming a bigger and bigger liability, especially at his current cap number. That latter item is really the bottom line on AP in my opinion. If he is not willing to accept a more sober number he will not be in purple next year. That writing has been on the wall all season.
Yes I would be fine with moving on unless A.P. ...I totally agree with everything in your post.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

jackal wrote:.

Totally unrelated. I went to College with Either Hutchinson's daughter or niece, I cant remember. Had several classes with her, talked football a lot.
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

Well, sadly today's performance did nothing to prove SAS wrong :-(.
Craig S