Unusal schedule ahead...

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Re: Unusal schedule ahead...

Post by fiestavike »

daff wrote: Time to be "that guy" - by your own definition Halloween isn't a holiday. From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween :
The day we get to mock Death's powerlessness! So much fun.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

Norv Zimmer wrote: Why would christmas eve be a holiday? that would mean thanksgiving eve, easter eve, christopher columbus eve, labor day eve, etc would be holidays too.
The OP clearly felt Halloween was a holiday and Christmas Eve *should be* a holiday. My question was why one would think Halloween *is* a holiday, not the other way around.

To me a holiday is a day someone somewhere gets off work. I've never thought either Christmas Eve or Halloween should be called Holidays. No more than All Saints day should be a holiday or Valentines Day or St. Patrick's day. My question was what raises Halloween to holiday status.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dict ... sh/holiday : a day for celebration when many people are allowed to stay away from work or school:

I' not aware of any practice where many people are allowed to stay away from work or school on Halloween. Christmas Eve moreso, but they all lump together to me as non-holidays.

But googling around, it seem the prevailing opinion is that Halloween is a holiday, though I'm a bit lost by that.
Last edited by cstelter on Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig S
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

cstelter wrote:
To me a holiday is a day someone somewhere gets off work. So I was questioning why someone would call Halloween a holiday, not why one would not call Christmas Eve a holiday. I never thought either Christmas Eve or Halloween should be called Holidays. No more than All Saints day should be a holiday or Valentines Day or St. Patrick's day. My question was what raises Halloween to holiday status.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dict ... sh/holiday : a day for celebration when many people are allowed to stay away from work or school:

I' not aware of any practice where many people are allowed to stay away from work or school on Halloween. Christmas Eve moreso, but they all lump together to me as non-holidays.

But googling around, it seem the prevailing opinion is that Halloween is a holiday, though I'm a bit lost by that.
I always assumed it was "Holy Day", which gradually transitioned into, "day off" or "vacation", like "going on holiday".
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

fiestavike wrote: I always assumed it was "Holy Day", which gradually transitioned into, "day off" or "vacation", like "going on holiday".
Yeah-- but again, Halloween is just all hallows eve as noted so it's not really a "holy day" either. I just found it curious that it seems obvious to people that Halloween is a holiday and Christmas Eve is not when they seem pretty much identical in my mind. I just never thought of either of them as holidays.
Craig S
cstelter
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by cstelter »

Back on topic, it seems to me that the 4 most worrisome games upcoming in my mind are going to be one of the Detroit games, the GB game, Dal, and AZ. That said, I think we have a fighting chance in all of them and this team seems to be a fighter, so I'm just in for the ride.
Craig S
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

cstelter wrote:Back on topic, it seems to me that the 4 most worrisome games upcoming in my mind are going to be one of the Detroit games, the GB game, Dal, and AZ. That said, I think we have a fighting chance in all of them and this team seems to be a fighter, so I'm just in for the ride.
I am a huge fan of the Mike Zimmer era Vikings. They have a lot of the qualities that make them serious contenders.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

cstelter wrote:Back on topic, it seems to me that the 4 most worrisome games upcoming in my mind are going to be one of the Detroit games, the GB game, Dal, and AZ. That said, I think we have a fighting chance in all of them and this team seems to be a fighter, so I'm just in for the ride.
I agree. Those games present real challenges.

When it comes to NFC North games, one can throw the stats, win/loss records, and everything else out the window. Anything can happen.
Raptorman
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by Raptorman »

cstelter wrote:
The OP clearly felt Halloween was a holiday and Christmas Eve *should be* a holiday. My question was why one would think Halloween *is* a holiday, not the other way around.

To me a holiday is a day someone somewhere gets off work. I've never thought either Christmas Eve or Halloween should be called Holidays. No more than All Saints day should be a holiday or Valentines Day or St. Patrick's day. My question was what raises Halloween to holiday status.

Demand the day off. If they don't give it to you, call in dead. :D
Vikings fan since Nov. 6, 1966. Annoying Packer fans since Nov. 7, 1966
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Halloween is a "Holiday" because "All Hallow's eve" is the celebration time. There isn't a celebration on "All Hallows"

Samhain night versus Samhain day if you want to go with the Gaelic Equivalent. You celebrate on the day of the "night" (Oct. 31st) and the "Day" is just what you initially call what comes after (Nov 1st)

In other Words, all Hallow's eve is a descriptor of the event the same way saying "the exit before the 694 exit" It doesn't have anything to do with the 694 exit or All Hallows, its just the frame of reference.

In the Defense of Christmas eve though, pretty much everyone I know does their present Christmas Eve night. I think they are all Terrible, terrible heathens but still, a lot of people do a lot of special "holiday" stuff on Christmas Eve.

Also, could someone point me to the vikings message board? I appear to have gotten lost.