Is Wentz the toughest remaining QB Vikes face?

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

dead_poet
Commissioner

Is Wentz the toughest remaining QB Vikes face?

Post by dead_poet »

Interesting. Sounds absurd on the surface but maybe it's not so crazy of a take.

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2016/ ... challenge/
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Re: Is Wentz the toughest remaining QB Vikes face?

Post by Mothman »

No. No, he's not.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

probably not, but it is interesting to be 5-0 and feel like the toughest stretch of the season is behind us.

that might not be accurate, and perhaps based on last years standings more than this years reality, but still encouraging.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

Mothman wrote:No. No, he's not.
:D
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
UKno1VIKING
Transition Player

Post by UKno1VIKING »

if he is, then we're going to be ok.
Hoyer worries me more.
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

:D
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Yeah. Not even close. A slumping rookie we have tape on and an extra week to get ready for. Hoyer worries me more.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

Of all the QBs remaining on the schedule, you guys are worried about Hoyer?
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Mothman wrote:Of all the QBs remaining on the schedule, you guys are worried about Hoyer?

I meant it more as "even hoyer worries me more than Wentz"

If i had to pick one it would Rodgers at lambeau if they are fighting for a playoff spot.
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

I'm not too worried about any of the QBs...I'm more worried about defenses totally shutting down our offense, especially when the chips are on the table.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

fiestavike wrote:I'm not too worried about any of the QBs...I'm more worried about defenses totally shutting down our offense, especially when the chips are on the table.
That's how I feel about it too.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

As of right now the question could be arguably answered with a yes. However, we are reaching the point in the season where teams start to sharpen up and get it together. I don't think Wentz is the best we'll face.

I wonder if Palmer is going to bounce back? He is Palmer is 35, so he might be done. We'll start to have a good idea of who the Cardinals are this season in the coming weeks.

Stafford doesn't scare me. We've done well against him, their defense is terrible, and they lack Calvin Johnson.

Something is up with Rogers. Maybe he'll turn it around, but he is not the same player he was in 2014. I'm not going so far as to say he is done and I'm certainly not saying the game on Dec 24th is a lock. However it is fair to ask right now if his best years are behind him? We've now seen over 20 games of mediocre play from him and their roster isn't strong enough to overcome his regression to normalcy.

Bortles might emerge as something, but it is Jacksonville. Hoyer is Hoyer. Cousins isn't scary. Luck might be scary, but their defense is terrible and he looks mortal. He might be hurt by the time we play them, their season is not going well.

Prescott is probably the most interesting, but after watching the game on Sunday I'm not really sure what all the fanfare is about? He is SLOPPY. He is giving them that intangible spark, but he is not anywhere near the passer that Romo has shown himself to be. That game might be our biggest remaining test on the schedule. At the rate both teams are going it might be a game that could decide who gets the #1 seed in the NFC.

Wentz may not be the best of the remaining, but he is certainly in the mix. The way the NFC is going this year it wouldn't surprise me if both PHI and DAL go to the post season from the NFC.

An interesting thing to consider in all of this: Brady is the last truly "Elite, that guy" passer in the NFL. I would say Brees and Ryan are the next tier down. Rogers was in the elite category, but his last season and a half of play has been at the average level of play. (but he still has equity.)

Who is going to be the elite pass in 2-3 years? I'm not sure there is a guy like that playing right now.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
TSonn
Career Elite Player

Post by TSonn »

mansquatch wrote:Who is going to be the elite pass in 2-3 years? I'm not sure there is a guy like that playing right now.
Andrew Luck? The media has already placed him in the HOF. I don't necessary agree with that assessment but he will be one of the top QBs for the next decade most likely. Him and Sam Bradford, obviously.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

If Rodgers bounces back
I would say him.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
fiestavike
Hall of Fame Inductee

Post by fiestavike »

TSonn wrote: Andrew Luck? The media has already placed him in the HOF. I don't necessary agree with that assessment but he will be one of the top QBs for the next decade most likely. Him and Sam Bradford, obviously.
I expect Bradford's numbers to get even better this season as the schedule softens defensively and with more continuity. I think it remains be seen whether he is ultimately going to be Ryan Fitzpatrick from last year, or Rich Gannon just beginning a career resurgence (realizing that any of these comparisons is imperfect). In my opinion, theres a little too much optimism about a guy who is being put in position to succeed, but seems to have some sizable shortcomings that I fear will show up in crunch time. In some ways, I think a Matt Stafford isn't a terrible comparison either.

Its an interesting question about who the next elite QB is going to be. There are a lot of dimensions to being that guy, and a lot of combinations of abilities that can get a guy to the point of being a legit NFL QB. They often have a lot of very different strengths and weaknesses. I think its an interesting discussion, what are the factors that separate guys from the pack. Roethlisberger is better than the pack, but has totally different strengths than Drew Brees, for instance. Maybe its part of what makes QBs difficult to evaluate.
"You like that!"
-- Cap'n Spazz Cousins