Interesting "First Take" exchanges regardig the vikings

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

losperros
Commissioner

Re: Interesting "First Take" exchanges regardig the vikings

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: The Bucs defense was definitely the main strength of that team but I think Brad Johnson was more of a missing piece that helped them win the Super Bowl than a guy who just came along for the ride. It wasn't a situation like the one in Baltimore, where Dilfer was just sort of out there to avoid mistakes and manage games. Johnson was a genuinely good QB at that point in his career. He was a Pro Bowl-caliber QB (and not in the "5th alternative who was willing to go to Hawaii for the game" sense).

I just always feel bad for the guy when I see him placed in the "Hey, if a team could win with this guy" category, if you know what I mean.
I agree, Jim. Brad Johnson was a master field general among quarterbacks. The game was strategic exchange between himself and the opposing defenses, and Brad was usually up to the task. He had other qualities as well: accurate passing and timing, quick release, and remarkable composure.

BTW, remember the TD Johnson scored on his own pass. The pass was deflected and he caught the ball, then ran it in for a touchdown. I still crack up when I watch Robert Smith on the play. Smith is looking in the end zone to see if the pass was caught or not, and then suddenly he sees Brad Johnson run past him carrying the football. :D
PurpleKoolaid
Hall of Famer

Post by PurpleKoolaid »

losperros wrote: I agree, Jim. Brad Johnson was a master field general among quarterbacks. The game was strategic exchange between himself and the opposing defenses, and Brad was usually up to the task. He had other qualities as well: accurate passing and timing, quick release, and remarkable composure.

BTW, remember the TD Johnson scored on his own pass. The pass was deflected and he caught the ball, then ran it in for a touchdown. I still crack up when I watch Robert Smith on the play. Smith is looking in the end zone to see if the pass was caught or not, and then suddenly he sees Brad Johnson run past him carrying the football. :D
Yes, that was a great play, I dont think I will ever forget it.

I knind of asked this before but how do coaches, and trades, and money, and all that work out? Just like that players, he plays under contract, period? How long we have with Zim? Dont care about the ST coach or know alot about the DC (but ive read a few things and like what I read).
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

losperros wrote:I agree, Jim. Brad Johnson was a master field general among quarterbacks. The game was strategic exchange between himself and the opposing defenses, and Brad was usually up to the task. He had other qualities as well: accurate passing and timing, quick release, and remarkable composure.

:lol: That play was hilarious.

For those who've never seen it (or want to see it again):

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... f3ad4d58cf
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

PurpleKoolaid wrote:Yes, that was a great play, I dont think I will ever forget it.

I knind of asked this before but how do coaches, and trades, and money, and all that work out? Just like that players, he plays under contract, period? How long we have with Zim? Dont care about the ST coach or know alot about the DC (but ive read a few things and like what I read).
The length of Zimmer's contract hasn't been disclosed but he recently signed an extension so he should be the Vikings head coach for at least a few more years. He could be fired or traded but neither of those scenarios seems likely in the near future. While under contract, he can't choose to leave to take another NFL head coaching job without permission from the Vikings so it's unlikely he would be lured away by a huge financial offer from another team. He seems happy in Minnesota anyway.

Vikings assistant coaches would be able to leave for jobs involving a promotion but they can't go to another team in a lateral move unless their contract expires. In other words, if a team wanted Norv Turner, Mike Priefer (the ST coach) or George Edwards (the DC), they'd have to offer them a promotion to Assistant Head Coach or Head Coach to kure them away. they couldn't simply hire them to do the same job they do for the Vikings.

The money is negotiable. I don't think there's a set salary structure for NFL coaches.

In the rare instance that a coach is traded, I don't think it works like a player trade, where the new team picks up the coach's contract. I think a new deal is negotiated with the new team and the old team receives trade compensation.
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

Mothman wrote: The length of Zimmer's contract hasn't been disclosed but he recently signed an extension so he should be the Vikings head coach for at least a few more years. He could be fired or traded but neither of those scenarios seems likely in the near future. While under contract, he can't choose to leave to take another NFL head coaching job without permission from the Vikings so it's unlikely he would be lured away by a huge financial offer from another team. He seems happy in Minnesota anyway.

Vikings assistant coaches would be able to leave for jobs involving a promotion but they can't go to another team in a lateral move unless their contract expires. In other words, if a team wanted Norv Turner, Mike Priefer (the ST coach) or George Edwards (the DC), they'd have to offer them a promotion to Assistant Head Coach or Head Coach to kure them away. they couldn't simply hire them to do the same job they do for the Vikings.

The money is negotiable. I don't think there's a set salary structure for NFL coaches.

In the rare instance that a coach is traded, I don't think it works like a player trade, where the new team picks up the coach's contract. I think a new deal is negotiated with the new team and the old team receives trade compensation.
And for the entirety of their 2020-2025 draft class the Vikings send Zimmer to the Browns
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Mothman wrote: :lol: That play was hilarious.

For those who've never seen it (or want to see it again):

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/vide ... f3ad4d58cf
Thanks for the link, Jim.

Nice awareness by Johnson. The play still makes me laugh. IIRC, Cris Carter joked after the game that from now on the Vikings wouldn't need the wide receivers for anything but blocking for Brad after he complete passes to himself. :lol:
Cliff
Site Admin

Post by Cliff »

I couldn't get past the first 2 minutes of that video. I'm not sure who the guy is that starts answering the first question but boy is he ever annoying.
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

I was laughing reading this thread. I think
a large percentage of long term fans are
afraid to fully trust the Vikings due to all
heart braking losses. I will be honest I thought
we were dead in the water after teddy.

I am going to soak up all the fun I can
this season; like some high school
couple squeezing in romance in Toyota
Corolla on a Friday night. Hopefully it's
fairy tale ending in Febuary, For Viking fans.
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

jackal wrote:I was laughing reading this thread. I think
a large percentage of long term fans are
afraid to fully trust the Vikings due to all
heart braking losses.

It's that but even more than that, it's just the perspective of watching decades of football. I've seen many, many teams start the season hot or go on a serious winning streak during the year only to fade or lose down the stretch. Just look at the streak Seattle went on last November and into December. They looked like a Super Bowl team but after slipping past the Vikes in the wildcard round, they lost to Carolina. The Vikes have made it clear they have a genuine shot to win it all this year but a 5-0 start wins them nothing and the team seems acutely aware of that (which is good).
I am going to soak up all the fun I can
this season; like some high school
couple squeezing in romance in Toyota
Corolla on a Friday night. Hopefully it's
fairy tale ending in Febuary, For Viking fans.
That's all we can really do is try to enjoy the ride and hope for the ending we want to see. :)
VikingHoard
Backup

Post by VikingHoard »

Mothman wrote: That's all we can really do is try to enjoy the ride and hope for the ending we want to see. :)
Hmm, I'm not sure if I'm reading your opinion as to how to best be a Viking's fan or your philosophy on life. Either way, I like it. :thumbsup:
This signature predicted the great 2014 - 2025 Vikings dynasty!
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

VikingHoard wrote: Hmm, I'm not sure if I'm reading your opinion as to how to best be a Viking's fan or your philosophy on life. Either way, I like it. :thumbsup:
It's a bit of both!
Rock45
Rookie

Post by Rock45 »

Mothman wrote: It's certainly possible. :)

Poor Brad Johnson always gets lumped in with Dilfer. Brad was a pretty good quarterback!
He really was.
IIsweet
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by IIsweet »

IrishViking wrote:
I agree with what you are saying but in SAS defense, what I think he was getting at is this team (this year) hasnt had to respond to a punch in mouth via a turn over or gut wrenching plays. Barring, say the first half against Carolina which just seemed like general sub par play, we haven't really had to respond to a gut check.
Are you kidding me ???
The Vikings haven't had to overcome any gut wrenching plays ???
You are right... We didn't lose our promising starting QB right before the season started!! We didn't lose the regnant rushing leader for potentially the season !! We have definitely had a great OL and consistent play from the same 5 guys though !!! Not ! Our leading WR has a groin injury, oh yeah... Forgot about that one !
This team has overcome more adversity thus far than any team that I have ever seen.
F-SAS
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

IIsweet wrote:Are you kidding me ???
The Vikings haven't had to overcome any gut wrenching plays ???
You are right... We didn't lose our promising starting QB right before the season started!! We didn't lose the regnant rushing leader for potentially the season !! We have definitely had a great OL and consistent play from the same 5 guys though !!! Not ! Our leading WR has a groin injury, oh yeah... Forgot about that one !
This team has overcome more adversity thus far than any team that I have ever seen.
F-SAS

Literally none of those are plays in a game. Those have nothing to do with gameday performance. Barr isn't out there while Aaron Rodgers is hard counting going

"golly gee I sure am down in the dumps that AP is injured and oh my gosh, Teddy being out is really messing with my gameday performance. I hope I can stay focused."

WE haven't had a turnover yet. Our offense has pretty much come through in the "clutch" the entire season. We haven't been down late yet. We haven't had to do a two minute drill. Our defense hasnt HAD to force a turnover yet. THIS causes an in game gut check; Not worrying about an injury suffered 2 months ago that has since been filled and improved at.

I am getting really freaking tired of everyone going on about our Offensive injuries and how our team are demigods for overcoming; Here are the FACTS

Bradford is an UPGRADE over Teddy, empirically speaking

Currently, Mckinnon and Asiata are dramatically out producing AP this year. Empirically speaking

(Just to utterly stress this one since I know dozens will take issue with it. this season it is verified FACT that our 2nd and 3rd string runners in tandem are outproducing AP, there is ZERO evidence that AP would do better than them if inserted behind and arguably weaker line than weeks one and two. And say what you will about history or whatever. While I am sure the team loves AP, they also have to love having about 4-5 fewer TFL plays per game now).

We are well over a quarter of the way. These aren't flukes anymore, these are trends.

It is not that hard to say that both of them being out have INCREASED our chances of winning games and those professional players in the field sure as S@!T know it. I am pretty sure the players get plenty of restful sleep knowing that Bradford is under center and Mckinnon is in the backfield.
Mothman
Defensive Tackle

Post by Mothman »

IrishViking wrote:
Literally none of those are plays in a game. Those have nothing to do with gameday performance. Barr isn't out there while Aaron Rodgers is hard counting going

"golly gee I sure am down in the dumps that AP is injured and oh my gosh, Teddy being out is really messing with my gameday performance. I hope I can stay focused."

WE haven't had a turnover yet. Our offense has pretty much come through in the "clutch" the entire season. We haven't been down late yet. We haven't had to do a two minute drill. Our defense hasnt HAD to force a turnover yet. THIS causes an in game gut check; Not worrying about an injury suffered 2 months ago that has since been filled and improved at.

I am getting really freaking tired of everyone going on about our Offensive injuries and how our team are demigods for overcoming; Here are the FACTS

Bradford is an UPGRADE over Teddy, empirically speaking

Currently, Mckinnon and Asiata are dramatically out producing AP this year. Empirically speaking

(Just to utterly stress this one since I know dozens will take issue with it. this season it is verified FACT that our 2nd and 3rd string runners in tandem are outproducing AP, there is ZERO evidence that AP would do better than them if inserted behind and arguably weaker line than weeks one and two. And say what you will about history or whatever. While I am sure the team loves AP, they also have to love having about 4-5 fewer TFL plays per game now)
The TFL problem wasn't Peterson's fault and it hasn't gone away. If I'm not mistaken, Jadaveon Clowney alone had 4 TFLs against the Vikings in their last game.

There's "ZERO" evidence that Peterson would have rushed for more yardage than Asiata and McKinnon have in his absence because he hasn't played. It would be equally true to say there's zero evidence that he wouldn't have out-performed them. There's no way to know but the "history or whatever' you want to conveniently set aside suggests he would have had been pretty productive.
It is not that hard to say that both of them being out have INCREASED our chances of winning games and those professional players in the field sure as S@!T know it.
Do they really? I doubt there's a player on the team that thinks losing Peterson has improved the Vikes chances. They actually respect his ability.

The offense has made some adjustments since he went down but I think those were adjustments that needed to be made anyway and should have been made whether he was healthy or not.