Jake Long

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Re: Jake Long

Post by IrishViking »

RFIP wrote:I have to say I am somewhat surprised about the neutral to negative sounds of some of these posts regarding the signing of Long. Has everyone watched TJ try to play LT? I live here outside of Pittsburgh and I promise you he is just a servicable RIGHT tackle, I shutter to think of him as a LT the rest of the year.

Long even at this time in his career, is a much, MUCH better option. He's been a LT all his career, he looks like a LT and most importantly "thinks" like a LT. My only concern is his health and he is saying its the first time in years his knees have felt this good and that he was very upset it took this long to get a job.

Even more to the point, I listened to Pat Kirwan today on Sirius as I often do and he talked about Long's ability to hold "if needed" so as not to get Sam killed. Might sound weird but he went on to say "Jake knows how important Sam is to this team and guys who've played LT understand that sometimes you get beat but its better to hold than have your QB get knocked out...the guy playing there now gets beat too sudden and too clean.." To wit I could not agree more.

Pray that Long stays healthy because if he does this is going to be another knock-it-out-of-the-park move by the GM.

Maybe its the fact that this is reading instead of talking but your first paragraph reads like we should be afraid of how crappy he will play, and your other two read as you are excited that he is an upgrade.

:confused:
Thaumaturgist
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Thaumaturgist »

IrishViking wrote:
Maybe its the fact that this is reading instead of talking but your first paragraph reads like we should be afraid of how crappy he will play, and your other two read as you are excited that he is an upgrade.

:confused:
I think the first paragraph is about TJ, and the next are about Long.
J. Kapp 11
Hall of Famer

Post by J. Kapp 11 »

Demi wrote:There's a reason to be negative.
The sun came up?
Go ahead. I dare you.
Underestimate this man.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

Thaumaturgist wrote: I think the first paragraph is about TJ, and the next are about Long.
Correct.

Long is going to be a huge upgrade over the past few weeks of what the Vikings have had at LT.
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

RFIP wrote:
Correct.

Long is going to be a huge upgrade over the past few weeks of what the Vikings have had at LT.
I hope you are correct, but I am deeply skeptical. LT is one of the most important positions on offense. Admittedly Long refused a deal with the Ravens in the off-season and then sat out, BUT, no other team tried beat his door down to get him on the field. That means all 32 NFL GMs were willing to let him sit, including the Vikings.

IMO the most likely outcome of this is that he is a band-aid. Anything beyond that is dumb luck.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

mansquatch wrote: I hope you are correct, but I am deeply skeptical. LT is one of the most important positions on offense. Admittedly Long refused a deal with the Ravens in the off-season and then sat out, BUT, no other team tried beat his door down to get him on the field. That means all 32 NFL GMs were willing to let him sit, including the Vikings.

IMO the most likely outcome of this is that he is a band-aid. Anything beyond that is dumb luck.
At this point I'll take a band aid over an open hatchet wound.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
mansquatch
Hall of Fame Candidate

Post by mansquatch »

I'm all for the move, I'm just sober about the potential for it to make us better on the line.
Winning is not a sometime thing it is an all of the time thing - Vince Lombardi
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

dead_poet wrote: At this point I'll take a band aid over an open hatchet wound.
Yes which is my point. Look I'm not saying he is the Vikings LT for the next 5 years, I'm saying the Vikings are DAMN LUCKY this guy is available now and don't think for a second Sparano isn't a major reason he is here now.

He is an immediate upgrade AND Sam is very comfortable with him which will go a long way too.

Is he going to false start? Hold on occasion? Yes and yes but the level of comfort he will give Bradford combined with the far less times he'll get beat will be huge.

My goodness there were 2 plays vs Houston where the DE just had a free run at Sam! THAT crap will not happen with Long, the dude has pedigree as an elite LT and is fresh as can be when the rest of the league is 5-6 games in.

GREAT pick up.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

I think he has the pedigree/talent to be a good player. I mean, he was first overall pick...... Watching his interview yesterday it seems like he is excited and willing and for what its worth he LOOKS to be in shape. He also mentions that he has been working out every day.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

A friend of mine who is a Rams fan swears that Long was the guy who missed the block what got Sam hurt. He said it was pre season against the Browns in 2014. I know that could have been anyone (if true) but pretty ironic that we now have SB, Hill, and Long
IrishViking
All Pro Elite Player

Post by IrishViking »

autobon7 wrote:A friend of mine who is a Rams fan swears that Long was the guy who missed the block what got Sam hurt. He said it was pre season against the Browns in 2014. I know that could have been anyone (if true) but pretty ironic that we now have SB, Hill, and Long

I am sure Bradford is Thrilled.
Norv Zimmer
Pro Bowl Elite Player

Post by Norv Zimmer »

autobon7 wrote:A friend of mine who is a Rams fan swears that Long was the guy who missed the block what got Sam hurt. He said it was pre season against the Browns in 2014. I know that could have been anyone (if true) but pretty ironic that we now have SB, Hill, and Long
Crap happens, I would hardly blame a O lineman for a QB getting injured. He could have just as easily missed a block and SB got sacked and nothing happened.
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

I'm a Ram fan too but the missed block did not cause the re-injury. It was a very mild hit that seemed harmless, it was more of his ACL not being fully recovered from the first injury the year before.

Bottom line is Sam trust Jake and Jake respects the heck out of Sam.
autobon7
All Pro Elite Player

Post by autobon7 »

Norv Zimmer wrote: Crap happens, I would hardly blame a O lineman for a QB getting injured. He could have just as easily missed a block and SB got sacked and nothing happened.
Not really trying to place blame but looking at the irony of the situation. Sam drops back, Long misses the block, Sam replaced by Hill......back together again.
Grashopa
Franchise Player

Post by Grashopa »

looked on youtube. And it was Longs guy who hit Bradford.
Formerly AADPFan