Jake Long

A forum for the hard core Minnesota Vikings fan. Discuss upcoming games, opponents, trades, draft or what ever is on the minds of Viking fans!

Moderator: Moderators

PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Re: Jake Long

Post by PacificNorseWest »

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Dolphins also releasing G Dallas Thomas and practice squad G Jamil Douglas to go along with OL Billy Turner, per source. Three OL out today.
Let's scoop 'em all up!
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

i have an idea, how about let the guy play some first before taking him to the gallows? the negativity on this board is overwhelming sometimes. like he said, "injuries are part of the game." he also said he had been working out 5 to 6 days a week, and most importantly what other options do we have? they are all very limited at this point. there are plenty of offensive line struggles throughout the nfl on a yearly basis; we aren't the only team dealing with this problem.
kurtkeoki
Backup

Post by kurtkeoki »

Obviously Long is a complete wildcard at this point. It's pretty clear that the bye came at just the right time. I'm hoping that Sporano can get them ready to play with two weeks preparation.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

i have an idea, how about let the guy play some first before taking him to the gallows? the negativity on this board is overwhelming sometimes.
He's played for 8 years. Half of them not very well. The last half. A handful of significant injuries. There's a reason to be negative. A recent reason. But the negativity is overwhelming? :confused:
Sparano was Long's first coach when we was taken #1 overall in Miami.
Which might be the reason (biggest?) that he even has a job.

Considering the alternatives. He isn't the Sam Bradford to Teddy. But for a contract and a roster spot. I'd take him over a practice squader that's for sure...
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

I believe I called this yesterday...and this is a very good bit of news folks. When you weigh his injury and (some say) sub-par play vs TJ it's a landslide in favor of Long. He IS a LT, TJ will never be one.

People here are too caught up in why he was on the street instead of being over joyed that he was.

Today the Vikings got better, a LOT better!
losperros
Commissioner

Post by losperros »

Demi wrote:Considering the alternatives. He isn't the Sam Bradford to Teddy. But for a contract and a roster spot. I'd take him over a practice squader that's for sure...
Interesting point. I hadn't thought of it that way. At least Long has real NFL experience.
SP1966
Franchise Player

Post by SP1966 »

Demi wrote: Considering the alternatives. He isn't the Sam Bradford to Teddy. But for a contract and a roster spot. I'd take him over a practice squader that's for sure...
Bradford has been at minimum Teddy's equal, most consider him to be an upgrade. Given the play of the two most recent left tackles I have to believe Long has the chance to be an upgrade, possibly a big upgrade. The only difference I see between the two comparisons is Teddy was at a minimum, serviceable at his position, neither Clemons or Kahlil were even that. Long knows how to play the position as a multi time Pro Bowler, question is can he stay healthy.
dead_poet
Commissioner

Post by dead_poet »

SP1966 wrote: question is can he stay healthy.
Also how much does he have left? And: What condition is he/his knees in? We've seen guys that try to perform but injuries sapping their abilities.
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” --- Bill Shankly
jackal
Strong Safety

Post by jackal »

Bradford has been at minimum Teddy's equal, most consider him to be an upgrade. Given the play of the two most recent left tackles I have to believe Long has the chance to be an upgrade, possibly a big upgrade. The only difference I see between the two comparisons is Teddy was at a minimum, serviceable at his position, neither Clemons or Kahlil were even that. Long knows how to play the position as a multi time Pro Bowler, question is can he stay healthy.

The only thing Teddy is better at than bradford is scrambling IMO.

Bradford is a true pocket passer.. I honestly think if our OL keep jelling and stays healthy we could pass for 350 a game with our wide outs and Bradford
no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

jackal wrote:
The only thing Teddy is better at than bradford is scrambling IMO.

Bradford is a true pocket passer.. I honestly think if our OL keep jelling and stays healthy we could pass for 350 a game with our wide outs and Bradford
I agree IF and ONLY IF Zimmer gives Norv free reign to run the offense as he (Turner) sees fit.

Honestly for 2 games now they have practically only been stopped by penalty or when they run it 3 times.

I believe this offense is ready to explode with a healhty Diggs, stud Rudolph, nails Theilen, emerging CP and the speed of Wright which is to say nothing of Johnson who has shown some flashes and heaven forbid if Tredwell catches fire.

I can see a team that averages 27-30 PPG going forward which is to say they are going to be very difficult for ANYONE to beat...if we can only solidify the OL which I believe they took a big step forward today in doing.
mosscarter
All Pro Elite Player

Post by mosscarter »

you teddy apologists (and that is what you are) make me want to puke anymore. he had nearly TWO full seasons and lets call it what it was he was statistically one of the worst, if not LAST YEAR the worst starting quarterback in the league. give it up; the dude had his chance and now its gone and i for one don't care. there are many good people in this world who befall bad circumstances. never, not at one time in 2 years, did teddy look like a franchise qb.
PacificNorseWest
Career Elite Player

Post by PacificNorseWest »

^ Where do you stand on Jameis Winston? Would you prefer him to Teddy at this point?
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

PacificNorseWest wrote:^ Where do you stand on Jameis Winston? Would you prefer him to Teddy at this point?
Personally I'm not a fan of Winston or Mariota. In the end after all the running around you are either a quick thinker who is accurate and can deliver the ball to his weapons...or you are not.

Mariota is very inaccurate down the field and makes poor decisions that continues to cost his team.

Winston is a Leftwich clone, that is to say looooooong, slooooooow delivery and feet in cement. Also, like BL he takes a beating in the pocket because he does not process fast enough.
Demi
Commissioner

Post by Demi »

you teddy apologists (and that is what you are)
So if Teddy was healthy, and anyone questioned him, it'd be negativity wouldn't it? Focused on the Vikings? Especially if they were having success? Regardless of his production? Like when people were "negative" about Ponder or TJoke? Or even Teddy himself the last couple seasons? It's hard to hit a moving target...especially when the target isn't moving according to some people. Unless they want it to be. :wallbang:
RFIP
Veteran

Post by RFIP »

I have to say I am somewhat surprised about the neutral to negative sounds of some of these posts regarding the signing of Long. Has everyone watched TJ try to play LT? I live here outside of Pittsburgh and I promise you he is just a servicable RIGHT tackle, I shutter to think of him as a LT the rest of the year.

Long even at this time in his career, is a much, MUCH better option. He's been a LT all his career, he looks like a LT and most importantly "thinks" like a LT. My only concern is his health and he is saying its the first time in years his knees have felt this good and that he was very upset it took this long to get a job.

Even more to the point, I listened to Pat Kirwan today on Sirius as I often do and he talked about Long's ability to hold "if needed" so as not to get Sam killed. Might sound weird but he went on to say "Jake knows how important Sam is to this team and guys who've played LT understand that sometimes you get beat but its better to hold than have your QB get knocked out...the guy playing there now gets beat too sudden and too clean.." To wit I could not agree more.

Pray that Long stays healthy because if he does this is going to be another knock-it-out-of-the-park move by the GM.